What's best to partitions?

Question

8 answers to this question

Partition Magic is the best tool by far, altough the latest version doesn?t support volumes yet, it is still the safest and easiest way to go in my opinion.

Supports FAT 16, FAT32, NTFS, EXT, etc, converting primary to logical, converting file formats, etc.......very very good.

Cool...but I'm talking about setting up the partitions after the computer's formatted, so there's nothing there....*I've heard that that's when it's safest to set the partitions*

...and again, how? :)

You?ll have to setup some boot disks with Partition Magic. Which implies that you?ll have to have the program installed in some OS before formatting the hard disk.

I?m not sure if I made myself clear.:paranoid:

I have personally used Partition Magic and think it really sucks. It is very error prone and has screwed up a few of my partition so bad I had to reinstall. STAY AWAY!

I went back to using the very reliable Partition Commander by V. I used it for two years without a glitch should have just kept using it instead of messing with PM.

I use partition magic almost every week and had no problems with it yet, but I have to try that commander suff also, can?t get too much solutions for a problem.

In relation to the origianl question, partition magic can resize partitions that are allready set, from within the OS, no need for boot disks in that case.

yeah i heard about that...*changing partitions from within the OS without having to format*...but someone told me it's better to do it after formatting...it's like do a clean install of windows, as opposed to upgrading it from some previous version...

..any opinions?