Never had a Mac, will I enjoy using OS X?

Yes and no. I like the looks, I don't like the lack of games [though I don't have time for that anymore with my wife and daughter ;(].

I like how quick my mac is compared to my out of date HP Pavilion laptop (which I have since installed Linux on it).

What are you going to use it for? In all reality, if you will use it just browsing the internet, Microsoft Office, Mac is okay. But if you are using it for business, stick with Windows (7).

Or just hold off until Microsoft Office 2014/2015 for Mac is released - over at Arstechnica there is a Microsoft employee who is a regular (helps diagnose problems, submit bug reports etc) and said that they are working on a new version for Mac. From what I understand the new version of Office for Mac is very much a ground up clean up given that to get it running on the iPad they had to give it a pretty intense overhaul. Right now Microsoft Office is something I along with many others merely tolerate rather than enjoy using - hopefully with a new release and clean up it'll become something actually enjoyable to use and it might even be 64bit as well.

I use all platforms now, my laptop is a Macbook air, and no regrets.  Will I get a mac next summer though? Unlikely

Mac Pros:

HW and SW made for eachother, virtually flawless

Amazing bettery

Speed

Unix is generally safer, and i like the native CLI

A touchpad that makes u not having a mouse for ur laptop

Better quality physically

Will last forever

Why not next year though:

PC's are sorta catching up with build quality, those carbon fibre ones in particular are pretty sturdy

Price is rather high

Surface type devices being a tablet/PC all in one with better screens

Windows 9 might be passable (I absolutely hate Win 8.1 on my desktop and it's joke UI)

You really do miss some windows apps that cant be replaced, specially with gaming, the integrated graphics side of things can handle my main games (League, Smite, nothing fancy), and many wont run on mac

I've have a MacBook Air for around two years now, I use both Windows 8 and OSX and I generally find that I love things about each OS, however neither of them is perfect.

On OSX something i've thought from day one and my opinion hasn't changed is that Finder (File Manager) is absolutely useless compared to Windows Explorer. It appears very limited in what you can actually do i find.

Coming from Windows you will probably miss Aero Snap, the ability to drag windows to the left and right hand side of the screen and have them resize to fill half the screen. I found that was something I took for-granted until I didn't have it. You can get that functionality on OSX however with HyperDock.

I do however like the gestures / trackpad on my MacBook Air, along with the virtual desktop support. Having Photoshop on one desktop then swiping three fingers right to change to another desktop is really convenient on my MacBook Air's 13" screen.

It's pretty easy to use either, I have come to the conclusion I like Windows better on my every day desktop computer, however OSX defiantly is nicer to use on a Laptop than Windows I find.

Based on everyones posts and after much thinking I've decided I'm going to go with the touchscreen 1920x1080 (downscaled) 13inch ultra-book (Lenovo yoga 2 pro) and run it on (Windows 7 - downgraded from Win 8). I will benefit a lot from the touchscreen I feel as I use it on my lap a lot. Also the higher resolution and the functionality of Windows which I'm accustomed to (e.g Office).

Both of these laptops basically weigh the same and I can get them at the same price - so it was always a question of Mac OS X and Apple build Quality OR Retina 1920x1080 resolution+ and Touchscreen capability.

I could of chosen (Mac OS X) on a MacBook Air but on a 1440x900 resolution. I would have benefited from more battery life (but this not a priority since the 6-8hours on the Lenovo is adequate as it'll be my Main/Desk computer) and the sleeker aesthetics and aluminium build.

I can see myself loving the aesthetics and functionality of Mac and eventually getting used to it but then also missing windows 7 in terms of file management and Aero snap, explorer and regretting not going for the higher resolution and touchscreen - if I was to go with the Mac.

Undoubtedly some might say I've made the wrong decision. But an OS is an OS and while change is good, change can be frustrating if it's for your day to day computer use. I love the sleekness of OS X and the look of the MacBook Air - but I feel I am making the best choice for me.

Feel free to say what you will, as I welcome everyones opinions.

Actually that is a question none of us can answer. It's up to you to decide what is better for you. Like they say, You'll never know until you personally try.

I have a newish Retina MacbookPro that I bought recently - battery life was my primary concern followed by a good screen and at the time the rMBP was easily the best way to get both at a price I wanted.

I'm new to Mountain Lion (or whatever the current OSX is called), but I have used OSX for a long time and Windows for a long time. Both are easy to use, and not too hard to pick up, if you do go the way a mac. 

Aero Snap on Windows is great (I've got it to snap top and bottom as well as L/R), and you'll want an equivalent on OSX. I use iSnap - free and works well. 

I am of the opinion that the window management generally in OSX is rather clunky. Gestures and multiple desktops are nice but in my opinion, sorting through many open windows (and minimised ones in the dock) is nigh-impossible using the abomination that is Mission Control. Windows, for all it's troubles, manages far better with it's limited desktop capabilities than OSX imo. Aero Peel and the superbar really are great. 

I think Office 2011 is terrible. Better than any other option on a mac but still terrible. Would rather use 2013 in a VM but I haven't quite got around to that and I don't think that'd be too good for battery life. Office 2011 doesn't play all that nicely with the rest of the OS and you can tell that it is old - it's slower than 2013, forces documents into compatibility mode and the interface sucks compared to 2013.

OneNote however is slowly becoming acceptable on OSX. 

Finder however has plenty of nifty features that are nice. Folders can be coloured, the preview function is amazing (Preview in general is awesome), and tabs are nice. 

Search on OSX is incredible compared to the klunky abomination that is Windows' split-personality metro/Explorer mess. Search is reliable, provides relevant results with previews but more importantly - it's fast. Windows chokes often on small numbers of files; OSX just screams along. It also hooks directly into apps which is cool. 

Edit:

I see you've gone with the Yoga 2 Pro. Excellent choice there. 

I think a touchscreen and better screen is much better to have vs. a crappy screen and a decent touchpad (seriously, touchpads on macs are not all they are cracked up to be). 

• Like 1

I don't like Windows 8 and will be downgrading so it's really a question of the Windows 7 I'm so accustomed to and enjoy or OS X. I believe OS X is the more elegant operating system, but with many niggles and annoyances compared to windows. Also, the machine I'm able to get Windows 7 on has (as mentioned) a far higher resolution and touschreen support (swivel mode + tent mode).

Look, if you were thinking about a mac and you chose a PC then why not buy a PC that cost the same as a Mac? And what's wrong with Windows 8.1? All system menus are the same (or very close) to Windows 7.The desktop looks 99% the same where that 1% is the different style "Start Button". Also the only difference is you get to configure the "Start Screen" to your liking. And it works better using touch.

Shame you didn't decide to give OSX a try. 

Honestly it's not that much of a quantum leap but then I had a background in a variety of other operating systems before I came to use a Mac, so it seemed quite natural. 

I like it because everything just.. makes sense. I've found that Windows has gradually become more disjointed and confusing as they moved into Windows 8 / 8.1 (what you mean you didn't know about the right click on the start menu to access loads of quick shortcuts to useful stuff? NOOB. etc etc) but OSX has pretty much remained true to its original release and just built everything up on top of that. Things are always where I expect to find them, features are always simple and slick, it's nice and fast, nice to look at.. honestly I love it. 

I've been a Mac user for about 18 months - 2 years now. I do still use Windows every day at work, and wouldn't use anything else (primarily for application compatibility and so forth) but at home, OSX is the OS for me. 

Look, if you were thinking about a mac and you chose a PC then why not buy a PC that cost the same as a Mac? And what's wrong with Windows 8.1? All system menus are the same (or very close) to Windows 7.The desktop looks 99% the same where that 1% is the different style "Start Button". Also the only difference is you get to configure the "Start Screen" to your liking. And it works better using touch.

I have seen many videos of Windows 8.1 and used it briefly and have not liked the look of it at all. It looks way more complicated - but you are right in that the touch support is better. When I receive my machine I I will play about with Windows 8 for a while before deciding to downgrade or not. I appreciate your viewpoint shared, it's made me realise I should give Windows 8.1 a good try first.

Shame you didn't decide to give OSX a try.

Honestly it's not that much of a quantum leap but then I had a background in a variety of other operating systems before I came to use a Mac, so it seemed quite natural.

I like it because everything just.. makes sense. I've found that Windows has gradually become more disjointed and confusing as they moved into Windows 8 / 8.1 (what you mean you didn't know about the right click on the start menu to access loads of quick shortcuts to useful stuff? NOOB. etc etc) but OSX has pretty much remained true to its original release and just built everything up on top of that. Things are always where I expect to find them, features are always simple and slick, it's nice and fast, nice to look at.. honestly I love it.

I've been a Mac user for about 18 months - 2 years now. I do still use Windows every day at work, and wouldn't use anything else (primarily for application compatibility and so forth) but at home, OSX is the OS for me.

I don't doubt that - but is it worth sacrificing the higher resolution and touchscreen for it? Keep in mind I have a preference for Windows 7 due to the disjointed nature of Windows 8.

So I will likely be using that, but who knows as of yet . In any case, it would be fairer to compare OS X to Windows 7 in my case.

I absolutely couldn't argue that it's worth sacrificing the additional hardware features for OSX - only you could decide that for yourself if you ever get the chance to give it a try. We're all different, and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another :)

For me, I absolutely would settle for 'less' hardware to get OSX on my system.. I'd certainly gladly dump the touch screen as that doesn't really interest me on a laptop. 

I suppose my only question is how well will the Yoga work with Windows 7? It seems like a device designed entirely with Windows 8 in mind. Honestly if I was buying a machine that sells itself on it's touch display, I'd just use Windows 8 with it and get myself used to it :) 

• Like 1

I have seen many videos of Windows 8.1 and used it briefly and have not liked the look of it at all. It looks way more complicated - but you are right in that the touch support is better. When I receive my machine I I will play about with Windows 8 for a while before deciding to downgrade or not. I appreciate your viewpoint shared, it's made me realise I should give Windows 8.1 a good try first.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how little you have to deal with metro in Windows 8. I'm not too sure about touch support vs. 7 and how much it differs, but if your main concern is that you'd see too much of the metro world - then I think 8.1 will be just fine. I practically live on the desktop and practically never see the full metro environment - rarely even the start screen.  

I find 1440x900 too high on a 13" screen (1280x800 hits the mark). 1920x1080 on a 12" for hours on end (without scaling) would really be an eye strainer. 1920x1080 on a 15" would be more comfortable, however for max comfort (after all-day use), nothing beats 1920x1080 on a 23.6"/24" screen.

In summary, I'd also get a 24" display for 'desktop' use.

2 week OS X user here :-) I have been enjoying it, it's quite different than Windows, but not too hard to get used to, one thing though, be sure any application you cannot live without exists in the Mac or at least make sure there's a good alternative, in these two weeks I have come to find out that the OS lacks in this department, sure there's always good "paid" applications for pretty much everything, but the assortment of free choices isn't as great as in Windows.

PS: Still a Windows user here and I love it, just got this Mac as a toy and to learn the OS etc.

I did the same thing as you (Y). I am still predominantly a Windows user (and always will be) but bought my Mac mini as a "toy" to play with and learn the OS. My Mac mini is getting on abit now but learnt alot from it and it's been a great little machine. Definitely plan to update it to a newer model at some point. OS X is a good OS and I feel just as comfortable in it as I do in Windows. I think alot of people are taken by OS X's simplicity, ease of use and of course how good it looks*. 

* of course that is subjective, not everyone likes how it looks

It all depends on the software you use daily.

For me personally, some of the software isn't there at all (e.g. 3dsmax), or always comes behind Windows or Linux as a development base.

Also, for a lot of applications, plugins or add-ons will mostly be Windows based, or Windows/Linux. Or even have missing features as OSX just doesn't support them.

It has become better in the last years, but a lot of new software tends to come out for WIndow and Linux first.

And like other ppl already have said, a -ton- of free/cheap tools just don't excist on the mac side. Sure this is the same for some apps on the mac, but not as extreme as on Win/Linux afaik...

rob

I've looked back and used Windows 8.1 on occasion when I had a PC (really a hackintosh) - I was always slightly annoyed that the font rendering on Windows was as bad as it was compared to when I boot into OS X. 

I'm on an iMac these days and I would only look back to Windows if I wanted to play any of the new high profiled games - which I don't. Not a lot of the many Open World/Action games appeal to me. I'm happy with Mahjong or Warblade(Galaga) and the like. 

I'm basically in the same boat as you, NightCrawler - in that I use OS X and a Mac as a daily surfing, listening to music and handling documents kind of user.  

I don't write much, so I can't tell if Office for the Mac is any good. I do now that when I first starting using OS X some 10 years ago I felt quite at home(coming from AmigaOS 3.9 previously and then Windows XP) With OS X it felt like home to me. Everything was more accessible to me than Windows, if you will, and much more like AmigaOS in its feel.

And with the 3 iWork apps, that are free with any new purchase of a Mac (excluding using Numbers if you want to use Excel) then Pages is quite decent as a writing tool. I've used it to write a little.

I'm not certain about convincing someone to switch, but OS X really spoke to me when I went to the electronics store and took home the lamp-style iMac on that day - no thoughts about whether I would go back to the XP machine that stood at home or anything along those lines. Some decisions just have to be made - you could say it spoke to the heart first and the mind came later.

I'll just say that I personally think that you'll like OS X - you'll learn quickly enough the various keyboard shortcuts and your way around the OS.

OS X is nice, but very different in comparison to Windows.  (Capt. Obvious statement there)  I use it at work all day along side several Windows 7 VM's   I've noticed a lot of sites that won't work in Safari, Chrome, Firefox, or Opera... but work great in Internet Explorer.  For those sites I have to keep a Windows VM.  I would suggest trying out OS X before buying.  it's not everyone's cup of tea

I've been using OS X for about a year now. I think in a way it's better if you are just browsing the web, writing or music. However it's a pain when you are doing something that requires you to manage files. You can't for example cut/paste, you have to copy/paste and then delete the old files. Also when you have multiple windows open, it's just not as fast and simple as with Windows.

I can't speak for the hardware, because I never had an actual Mac of any kind, but I do "play" with hackintoshes for years. Today, I have Mavericks on my PC and, for a while after I installed it, I never booted in Win or Linux. I guess it's the excitement or a fresh install, downloading apps, etc. But at one point it became boring for me, I really can't say why. Maybe because it never felt natural for me, starting with the window buttons on the left side, the lack of cut and paste, the Delete key on the keyboard doesn't actually delete anything, etc. There were also some apps that I use in Windows and suck on OSX (like Sound Forge for example, I use this a lot), or apps that simply don't have a OSX version (like Sony Vegas). I know there are alternatives, but it affects my productivity to switch to others now.

Anyway, all things considered, it's a good OS, but it's really a matter of personal taste. Some love it, some don't, some (like me) can't get familiar with it even after months or years of use. I guess you should get one from someone, if you can, and play with it for a month or so. Then make your decision. Also, keep in mind that even if you don't like it after all, you can always install Windows in Boot Camp if you wish :)