The stigma of being an atheist in the US

as a student studying pastoral (theology studies), isn't Atheism a belief there is NO GOD?

I was unaware that theology colleges taught people to parrot commonly held ignorant opinions. Atheism is a lack of belief, not belief in lack. That comes under anti theism. A person can lack belief simply because they've never been exposed to religion and still fit the definition of an atheist.

as a student studying pastoral (theology studies), isn't Atheism a belief there is NO GOD?

Good job on starting the derailment of this thread. Divert your comments to the religion thread.

I was unaware that theology colleges taught people to parrot commonly held ignorant opinions. Atheism is a lack of belief, not belief in lack. That comes under anti theism. A person can lack belief simply because they've never been exposed to religion and still fit the definition of an atheist.

I thought that was the definition of Agnostic.  Terms matter here much like having the discussion of Christianity, what version of it matters when you get into the details.  :)

This is not to derail the rest of the thread, just getting clarification since I held the concept that what Javik stated would fall under Agnostic not Atheist.

As much as not playing golf is a sport  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Good job on starting the derailment of this thread. Divert your comments to the religion thread.

um.. this is about atheism right? (cleans glasses. rechecks title of thread) um.. yeah.

um.. this is about atheism right? (cleans glasses. rechecks title of thread) um.. yeah.

It surely isn't about the definition of it but about being one in the society. Next.

Even in the atheistic community, those like Richard Dawkins are becoming seen as religious fanatics of the atheistic variety.

What exactly makes him a fanatic? The only time you even hear about him is if you watch videos of interviews and debates he participates in. Or is he "seen" as a fanatic by those on the religious side because he's a threat to those that are fence sitters and he makes them think about their own views of religion. 

Are things really so bad in the USA that people are actually afraid of saying they're atheists? Are you lot living in the middle east or something? :o

No. Just no. Unless you were to come from an EXTREMELY religious family nobody cares if you are an atheist.

No. Just no. Unless you were to come from an EXTREMELY religious family nobody cares if you are an atheist.

There are plenty of people who care if someone else is an atheist. Atheism is seen as a threat to those on the religious side, specially towards the younger generations. The younger gens is one of the fastest growing in terms of those converting or coming out as atheists. Try being an atheist living in the bible belt, it's much harder then if you live in a major city. 

I thought that was the definition of Agnostic.  Terms matter here much like having the discussion of Christianity, what version of it matters when you get into the details.  :)

This is not to derail the rest of the thread, just getting clarification since I held the concept that what Javik stated would fall under Agnostic not Atheist.

Gnosticism is about knowlege, theism is about belief.

You can be a gnostic theist (you believe in god and claim to know that it exists), an agnostic theist (you believe in god but don't know if it exists), an agnostic atheist (you don't believe in god but don't know if it exists) or a gnostic atheist (you don't believe in god and you claim to know that it doesn't exist).

Being atheist on itselft is not a positive claim, it's only the lack of faith in any god(s).

Gnosticism is about knowlege, theism is about belief.

You can be a gnostic theist (you believe in god and claim to know that it exists), an agnostic theist (you believe in god but don't know if it exists), an agnostic atheist (you don't believe in god but don't know if it exists) or a gnostic atheist (you don't believe in god and you claim to know that it doesn't exist).

Being atheist on itselft is not a positive claim, it's only the lack of faith in any god(s).

Thank you, that cleared up my thoughts. :)

Atheists in America brutally attack anybody of any religion, or anybody that thinks different.

That is why they are disliked here.

Generalize much? 

• Like 1

Just take Hobby Lobby, for example...

Oh, you mean the Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Supreme court decision??  Hobby Lobby won that decision.  :D

In the Hobby Lobby decision, the Court ruled on June 30 that federal law gives for-profit businesses that are owned by a small group a right to refuse for religious reasons to provide birth control methods and services for their employees.

Social skills like gathering in a dusty old building once a week to have conversations with something that isn't there?

Oh, snap. :laugh:

Hey, we do that on Azeroth every week too. We talk about Elune, and the Old Gods, and... :p

Hobby Lobby won that decision.  :D

I guess that was the point  :ermm: would that same people (the Hobby Lobby owners, I mean) had supported the decision if they had been on the other side and it had been about the religious morals of muslim owners? Or any other arbitrary moral guideline be it religious or secular?

What if the owners were jehovah's witnesses and they wanted to refuse any kind of treatment to their employees than required a blood transfusion?

I have known a few real atheists among my co-workers, and for them it's become their "religion".

As soon as someone includes god in their speech (as in "thank god, they found the child before she was killed") they launch into a speech that usually starts off by pointing out how stupid and moronic believers are. This is quickly followed by examples of evil perpetrated by believers (drawn mostly from the middle ages), and then they go on to insult the most cherished principles held by those standing right next to them, expecting everyone to take it in good humour. When someone does get upset at what they are saying, they take it as evidence that they must be right and the other person must be wrong, that their position is strong while the other's is weak.

In one case, a atheist's mother came to this country to visit her son. They were watching a movie together that touched briefly on a religious theme. Even in the dark of the theatre, he couldn't help but make a comment about the stupid and silly people who believe in such things. He did this knowing that his own mother was very religious and that she would be hurt by it. He said that he was merely "educating her". Speaking of it afterwards, he said he "felt it was the right thing to do".

I have never understood this need to beat down someone else's belief system. I don't believe in an eternal hell where people burn forever. So when someone tells me I'm going to hell, it has no effect on me at all. I can discuss the subject if requested, but I don't have the urge to argue my point of view against their's. What would be the reason for doing so, except to score a few points.

Even in the atheistic community, those like Richard Dawkins are becoming seen as religious fanatics of the atheistic variety.

Yeah, why do people oppose religion... I mean it's not as if blind unthinking faith ever causes harm, right?

post-446153-0-32049600-1407191979.jpgpost-446153-0-24350900-1407191983.jpg

No, the definition of agnostic is one who thinks the existence of god is unknowable.

Atheists in America brutally attack anybody of any religion, or anybody that thinks different.

That is why they are disliked here.

LOL... The religious have spent the better part of a century trying to make it all about them. You dislike the atheists because they'll no longer shut up and take your crap.

What are you trying to say by posting pictures of the dead who have been killed by religious fanatics?

Officially atheistic countries like the Soviet Union, Communist China and others have done their share of murdering the innocent.

I think we can all agree that evil is found among christians as it is among atheists.

When we look at those kinds of images, what we are seeing is plain old human nature at its lowest.

But your pictures serve to illustrate my original point.

Mention god or religion and atheists immediately feel the need to declare how terrible believers can behave.

But, I've enjoyed being part of this discussion, so thanks for the visuals anyway.

• Like 2

Maybe in the Bible Belt... But certainly around here, it's not a big deal one way or the other if you're religious or not. I know plenty of people who are atheists, plenty who are hardcore <insert religion here>. I've never been in a scenario where someone was afraid to say they were religious or not religious. Maybe it happens elsewhere, but I've never personally experienced it.

i've spent my entire life in the Bible Belt, i've always been an atheist, & nobody has ever particularly cared. But I also don't go discussing my lack of belief with folks i don't know very well, either. Of course I wouldn't do that even some place like San Francisco or Seattle. I have some religious family members & they know my views.  We simply don't discuss it.

but the Bible Belt really has two 'sections,' i'd say.  I truly do believe there is a 'kook' line that follows the southern borders of Tennessee and North Carolina (two states in which I've lived) where it gets really weird.  I live in Georgia now, but in Atlanta, which is not like the rest of the South.  But South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, plus Louisiana -- definitely a lot more hard-core, & it seems there are many residents in those states who'd love to live under a theocracy, don't believe in science, etc.  And of course certain midwestern states like Kansas, where they routinely make national news for passing laws that are based in Christian belief.  Even though Kansas isn't Southern, it strikes me as the most hard-core state. I don't believe anyone gets more national coverage for Christian-based stuff than Kansas.

one thing i like about other places in the country like the Northeast or Northwest -- don't see nearly as many churches.