I can

I have a question.  Many people will give me their brand new computer out of the box, and want me to "set it up"

This usually involves me wiping the drive, and re-installing whatever OS the computer came with, or in some cases whatever OS they want to use.
Then putting the usual basic software, MS Office, and webroot Secure Anywhere on it.

Would having a Sysprep drive handy be the way to go? 

Im expecting to get a few of these requests this month.

That is false. The only (legal) way to use sysprep is:

1) you must have bought 5 VL products to be entitled to use a VL key for using with sysprep.

2) you have downgrade rights so you can use a VL media with a OEM license (the COA outside of the box).

There are some exceptions to this:

a) OEM recovery image, since it's a sysprep image made by the manufacture within the OEM SBL program and OPK toolset, and can be deployed in same hardware (for mass deployment). Does this grant a user to copy the image and transfer into another hardware? No, but grants the user to use this image on the hardware it came from. Also see recimg and reagentc.

b) if you use a Personal License (then again you must use the OEM SBL to be able to use Personal License and that does not grant the same rights as a retail version does).

If you said was true imagine the fun it will be for an enterprise to buy cheap hardware with a OEM COA and massive deploy them using n COAs; Microsoft provides the use of a VL key to mass deployments so one can use the tools (sysprep), the software (WDS, KMS) and the benefits (Software Assurance, VL portal, etc.) to make the deployments fast, easy and smooth.

for the joe smiths that want to image their computers, they can use other tools (like recimg: another supported method: windows backup and recovery.

finally, this link that i provided some pages ago: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828287

So if you are a OEM manufacture then sure, you can sysprep that (same OEM manufacture) image.

So what that is saying is that Microsoft only supports it if it it's done by an oem.

It isn't wrong if someone uses it, it just is not supported by microsoft....not supported does not mean wrong or do not do, it just means if something screws up you are on your own, don't call ms because they won't help.

Windows xp is no longer supported by microsoft, does it make it wrong to continue to use it...No it doesn't. Stop trying to spread fud.

So what that is saying is that Microsoft only supports it if it it's done by an oem.

no, what i've said that there is two scenarios (and their exceptions) that the use of Sysprep is legal. I'm not a OEM yet i'm entitled to use it because i fall into the VL scenario.

It isn't wrong if someone uses it, it just is not supported by microsoft....not supported does not mean wrong or do not do, it just means if something screws up you are on your own, don't call ms because they won't help.

Oh, and try to give that response if you get audited by Microsoft. It's pretty easy to see if a computer has been syspred and if you don't comply with it's use...well, good luck.

Windows xp is no longer supported by microsoft, does it make it wrong to continue to use it...No it doesn't. Stop trying to spread fud.

Honestly, this discussion is pointless; i've provided plenty of info about the subject but you still refuse to accept any of it. Here, contact Microsoft and ask them the same question and you will see what response you will get. :)

I have been through a few microsoft audits, I can assure you that they give 0 craps about sysprep.  The companies I dealt with that have been through microsoft audits did have to pay...sysprep never ever came up.  Syspreping pcs and using legit keys is the proper way to do it.  syspreping pcs and using illegal keys is the wrong way to do it and will get you in finacial trouble.  How many microsoft audits have you been involved with?  How many have you been involved with where the company was in the wrong and have to pay a high 6 figure sum?  I am pretty sure with myself that I know what to and not to do that will not get my company or myself in a legal bind.  In almost every instance they were hit for office, one instance they were hit with office and the os...I was on cleanup duty after the fact or as a off premise consultant during and after.

The use of sysprep is worded in a way that will not stop businesses or those who are familiar with the image process to use it.  It is worded so that people like yourself become paranoid and afraid because they don't understand legal binding documents.  Educate yourself in the way things are written so that you stop spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt to everyone when you are clearly not a subject matter expert.

Honestly, this discussion is pointless; i've provided plenty of info about the subject but you still refuse to accept any of it. Here, contact Microsoft and ask them the same question and you will see what response you will get. :)

Sorry to jump in but, we have and get a different response back (or the same uninformative chocolate stylised PDF document) each time on anything to do with Microsoft "licensing". My advice is square it with your Microsoft account manager as they're the ones to talk to.

I have been through a few microsoft audits, I can assure you that they give 0 craps about sysprep.  The companies I dealt with that have been through microsoft audits did have to pay...sysprep never ever came up.  Syspreping pcs and using legit keys is the proper way to do it.  syspreping pcs and using illegal keys is the wrong way to do it and will get you in finacial trouble.  How many microsoft audits have you been involved with?  How many have you been involved with where the company was in the wrong and have to pay a high 6 figure sum?  I am pretty sure with myself that I know what to and not to do that will not get my company or myself in a legal bind.

this year? some. last year were more then some. :)

how many were in the wrong? none (i take good care of my clients).

Granted, only one of those audits the sysprep card was raised but i can't disclosure more info since this is public forum. But yeah, it can be checked.

Never said it couldn't be checked.  12/12/13 was around the last time a company that I worked with was audited.  Again, not a single time was the way they were imaging in the wrong with utilizing sysprep on oem machines.   Utilizing the oem key on the side of the computer is the key to imaging the machines with sysprep if they do not have a factory image on them (factory image does not utilize the key on the side of the computer)...but I am sure you knew that.  There was a time where you were able to sysprep and use any key as long as it was same license as the coa on the side of your box (where any oem key would be fine as long as it was oem and you were not using a open manage key on a site that had no open manage licenses or very few open manage licenses).