Cookie/AD Blocker - Which ones do you use ?

Hi !

I've used Norton Internet Security for quite a while and I'm really happy with it so far but I've got a few friends who're using Tiny Personal Firewall (http://www.tinysoftware.com) and are really happy with it. I have no idea how they can live with that because it's "only" a firewall. I showed them the ad+cookie blocking ability of Norton Internet Security and they're looking for something similiar now so I wonder if there's any good programs out there that allow blocking of cookies/ads ?

Which ones do you use or which ones have you used and can recommend (or not) and why ?

Personally I'd be happy with cookieblocking for whole sites (ie. www.microsoft.com) permanently or temporarily (like, for the next two hours - might be useful for sites you only visit once or twice - not permanently adding them to the cookieblocklist so it won't grow too big).

Thank you,

NoNeX

adsubtract pro has a lot of options

-annoyances

1. advertisments

2. animations

3. auto refresh

4. pop-up windows

5. background images

-privacy

6. cookies

7. referrers

-active content

8. java applets

9. javaScripts

I use Ad Muncher. There are other good alternatives like Ad Extinguisher but Ad Muncher works the best because it works at the wsock level and doesn't work as a proxy. It has an update every day plus it does a lot more besides kill ads.

i just download ad-mucher and its so small and nice what it does too. Perfect and easy to use! no time wasted.

1 question, does this block ads from downloading too or just makes the ad invisble?

I didn't like the add blocking of ad muncher, but it does some other cool things like hide your browser ID, so i'm useing adsubtract, and ad-muncher.

both of these two together seem to be working really well

WEBWAHSER

From their site:

WebWasher? consists of three functional modules:

content filtering

privacy protection

access control

Content Filtering

WebWasher's standard filters prevent unwanted data objects on Web pages from being loaded. The following configurable functions are available:

Dimension filter

Filters unwanted advertising banners. New sizes can be added at any time.

URL filter

Activates WebWasher's integrated URL filter. You can add new objects for other URLs at any time by mouse click.

Pop-up windows

Eliminates any pop-up windows contained on Web pages.

Scripts

Suppresses the execution of scripts that are executed when Web pages are loaded or closed.

Animations

Animated graphics can be entirely eliminated. Alternatively, you can specify the number of repetitions of an animation or that only the first picture should be displayed.

Options

Removed graphics can be replaced with your own image.

Plus, did I mention ...... IT IS FREE!!

Vinh: Yes, Ad Muncher blocks the downloading of ads, not just hides ads.

Removal Statistics

Banners removed by Ad Muncher: 8553

Approximate bandwidth saved: 128290kb

Counter started: 17/01/2002

None of the ad removers I tried satisfactorily got rid of popups (Webwasher didn't stop any) so I use Meaya Popup Ad Filter for popups.

I use an older build of Ad Muncher (4.16) because it only starts when Internet Explorer starts.