American cereals are unhealthy!

36 grams? There are 22 grams of sugar in 8 ounces on orange juice.

well, unless it is freshly squeezed you should not be consuming this garbage ;) any store bought juice is nothing more then sugar water anyhow.

even vitamin C - the one thing that orange juice is supposed to deliver in spades, is added on later, artificially!

When the juice is stripped of oxygen it is also stripped of flavor providing chemicals. Juice companies therefore hire flavor and fragrance companies, the same ones that formulate perfumes for Dior and Calvin Klein, to engineer flavor packs to add back to the juice to make it taste fresh. Flavor packs aren?t listed as an ingredient on the label because technically they are derived from orange essence and oil. Yet those in the industry will tell you that the flavor packs, whether made for reconstituted or pasteurized orange juice, resemble nothing found in nature. The packs added to juice earmarked for the North American market tend to contain high amounts of ethyl butyrate, a chemical in the fragrance of fresh squeezed orange juice that, juice companies have discovered, Americans favor. Mexicans and Brazilians have a different palate. Flavor packs fabricated for juice geared to these markets therefore highlight different chemicals, the decanals say, or terpene compounds such as valencine.

anyway.   36 gram is waaaay too little i agree!

most people can consume more just by eating healthy..

seriously, there is big difference, if the sugar comes form an apple you eat or from a can of pop/soda!

let me reiterate!   it does not matter the amount of sugar calories you consume, as it matters where the calouries come from.

unless you have specific fitness goals in mind (or are sick) it is ok to eat tons of fruit!  it is not ok to eat tons of ice cream!   even though the total amound of "sugar" is the same!

see where i am going with this???

36 grams? There are 22 grams of sugar in 8 ounces on orange juice.

Juices that you buy in a store are uniformly terrible for you. Virtually all of the nutritional benefits of the fruit and/or vegetables has been removed, and what you're left with are tremendous amounts of fructose (say hello to your fatty liver) or sodium in a flavored water delivery system.

Think about it for a moment. When you eat an orange, how much of that is juice and how much it is the fibrous pulp (where most the nutrients are, and which helps mitigate that sugar rush). Our bodies evolved to digest an orange or a carrot or two; not ten or twelve of them mashed up with the juice extracted into a concentrate, frozen and then later reconstituted with water and high fructose corn syrup.

The naturalistic fallacy is on show for all to see here, Its a demonstrably false belief that people cling to like a religion. No people were not super human immortals 200 years ago who's immune system was so supercharged by natural goodness that it fought off illnesses more than today your body didn't give two ###### what's natural or man made sugar is sugar; A substance that's toxic at high dosages can have health benefits at low dosages and the only way we sodding know which I which is by testing the sodding things!

Enjoy your organic food I hope it wasn't grown with the aid of the organic pesticide (Yes there are such things this is the best kept secret of the organic movement I can't tell you how many times I've heard their advocates Lie through their teeth about "no pesticides") Rotenone http://precedings.nature.com/documents/3352/version/3

Pour out the cereal into the trash. Eat the box. Now you started your day right.

Didn't any Neotards watch the Mythbusters show where they compared a well known cereal with its cardboard container for nutritional content?

73dd1482c064c07144c12747a5c36a49.png

A by product of this particular show

I think we should start a movement to ban all chemicals in foods that have any applications in industry. Because they must by definition be industrial chemicals - and therefore highly toxic, right?

Exactly! Ban water too because that's used in the production of automobile tyres. Why not just ban all chemicals and be done with it ? Why are there chemicals in food to begin with ? /s

Exactly! Ban water too because that's used in the production of automobile tyres. Why not just ban all chemicals and be done with it ? Why are there chemicals in food to begin with ? 

Exactly. We should make our own pure organic water that has never been used in the production of tyres, because that water that was used in the manufacture of those oil-laden monstrosities will have unfortunately been tainted by the bad energy, and is now forever corrupted. 

NOTE: I am being completely serious sarcastic.  

Just to toss this in here...

Lots of fruits, and fruit juices, contain citric acid.  Which can erode the enamel on your teeth and the enamel does not come back.  So better stop eating fruits if you want to keep your teeth when you get older....

i understand.     actually honey can give you a boost too.      and don't call it sugar.  it is sugar for purposes of diabetics... but if you are not a diabetic, eating honey (unprocessed) is actually great for you.

Except I am a Registered Nurse and have been one for 20 + years, so I am actually in the health care field. That is my perspective on sugar, no matter the source. (Y) 

• Like 1

Just to toss this in here...

Lots of fruits, and fruit juices, contain citric acid.  Which can erode the enamel on your teeth and the enamel does not come back.  So better stop eating fruits if you want to keep your teeth when you get older....

Fruit juice is surprisingly bad for your teeth - worse than fizzy drinks actually. Fruit juice has a higher concentration of citric acid - which is more powerful than the weaker acids in Coca-cola for instance (phosphoric, carbonic, much less citric)

The logical fallacies are running amok here, I see. I would just point out that while it is true that you cannot eliminate all toxic substances from your food, if you have the choice, choosing foods that have less added sodium and sugar, less processed grain and meat, and fewer artificial sweeteners, colors and preservatives will be healthier for you. As will be choosing foods that are grown/raised using fewer pesticides and antibiotics.

Because you cannot eliminate all risk does not mean you shouldn't make an effort to eliminate those unnecessary risks that you reasonably can. There is no recommended daily allowance of FD&C Green 3 or high fructose corn syrup. It's also important to keep in mind that the choices being made by agribusiness are not grounded in what's best for your nutrition and health, it's about what maximizes their profits. There are often better alternatives out there, so why not make the choice to take advantage of them? That's really something that we can only answer for ourselves.

My personal rule of thumb is that if it's not something that I could easily make in my own kitchen using ingredients from the meat and produce sections of my grocery store, I probably shouldn't be eating it. The one exception for me is Soylent (yes, I actually do use it) as a convenient meal replacement.

The problem is your "risk" isn't based off any objective standard its based off the completely fallacious assumption that natural = safer. A belief that is founded in ignorance and clinged to as strongly as any religion in spite of any evidence that is presented.

Sugar is Sugar thers no there is no recommended daily allowance of HFCS because its Sugar. We don't determine if something is safe by its origin hell something can be beneficial at small dosages and lethal at high dosages so this entire notion of "safe" is childish. 

The better you are at it, the lower the risk that you'll be kicking over at 50+ from a stroke, heart attack or cancer.

I'm not really concerned that  just because my parents gave me some breakfast cereals when I was a kid, along with a lot of good, home-cooked meals, I'm going to be having a stroke, heart attack, or cancer at 50. Nor do I think I should be.

There are plenty of reasons not to eat over-processed foods. First of all, they really don't taste that great. Like I said, I find natural cereals just taste a lot better. Its also good to learn how to cook and make your own meals, if we're getting past cereals and into other types of processed foods.

And of course, I also think people should be responsible for their health. However, I just think some approaches to nutrition are over-scrupulous.

Also, sugar as a thing in itself is not bad for you, your body processes and uses it. Earthworm Jim is talking about eating eggs and others about fruits or juices. These can be bad for you if you over-consume them too. They're not bad in and of themselves.

The problem is your "risk" isn't based off any objective standard its based off the completely fallacious assumption that natural = safer.

My assertion is that natural foods are healthier. Eating an apple is healthier for you than eating a donut, even though they both contain sugars. If you can find apples that haven't been constantly hosed down with pesticides, all the better for you. But I also want to be clear that this is how I choose to eat, and I have no interest in dictating what foods other people should or shouldn't eat. I'll give my opinion, but ultimately what you put in your mouth is your own business.

• Like 1

My assertion is that natural foods are healthier. Eating an apple is healthier for you than eating a donut, even though they both contain sugars.

If you'll avoid the pun that's comparing apples and oranges. Your body doesn't know what's natural and what is not there is no magical property of fructose that makes it better than sucrose both are sugars.

If you'll avoid the pun that's comparing apples and oranges. Your body doesn't know what's natural and what is not there is no magical property of fructose that makes it better than sucrose both are sugars.

But how those sugars are delivered to you, and in what quantity and combination, matters. An apple is a better "delivery system" for those sugars than the donut is.

Any food, if you abuse it, can cause harm.  Even water.  I am not going to shy away from a donut or a candy bar every now and then.  Evey now and then, it wont kill you are case and adverse effect.

But how those sugars are delivered to you,

No it doesn't this is pure fantasy it all goes down the same pipe.

and in what quantity

Which is the only thing I agree with.

An apple is a better "delivery system" for those sugars than the donut is.

That's laugh out loud stupid, Your body doesn't care its all broken down by stomach acid.

That's laugh out loud stupid, Your body doesn't care its all broken down by stomach acid.

And I do believe that there is a difference between fruit that delivers a relatively small amount of fructose as part of a fiber-rich and nutrient dense food, and a donut which typically contains large amounts of HFCS, refined grains and fats, and is largely nutrient-free. I think the delivery system does matter. To each their own.

• Like 2