Braves get Drew from Cards

The Atlanta Braves acquired outfielder J.D. Drew and utility man Eli Marrero from the St. Louis Cardinals today for RHP Jason Marquis, LHP Ray King, and minor league RHP Adam Wainwright. ive been looking over the stats and im starting to like this deal. Given J.D. Drew's bat wont come close to replacing Sheffield, its a start. its a shame jason marquis never lived up to his potential. he could have been a very good major league pitcher but encountered some difficulties and then developed an attitude problem, so it was probably better for him to leave. Ray King - thank god he is gone. that was one of the worst late inning relievers i had ever seen on a contending team. he couldnt throw a first pitch strike if his life depended on it. it got to the point where it seemed like cox only brought him in when first base was open, then he would inevitably walk the first batter and be removed from the game. Adam Wainwright was the #1 pitching prospect in the braves farm system. ive been following his numbers over the last few years and it looked like he had a shot to be good for atlanta in the future. our farm system is still loaded with pitching prospects though, so losing this one hopefully wont hurt too bad. i say this was a good move by schuerholz, but more still needs to be done.

full story here

Edited by CatnipOligarthy

Heh, with the Cardinals' luck Drew will play 162 games next year without injury :)

thatd be cool.. man when i first saw this trade scroll across the bottom of the tv screen i was praying we traded chipper jones, then we could have kept our pitchers and lost that ho face, but i guess this will work too

Wainwright was all potential, Jason Marquis hasn't showed me anything the time he was here, and Ray "Burger" King... I cringed everytime he came out of the bullpen. I say it was a good move even though Drew is injury prone. Braves just need to make a few moves here & there and they still can be competitive. I just hope Andruw works hard in the off-season like Javy did last off-season (lose weight & #'s increased tremendously).

thatd be cool.. man when i first saw this trade scroll across the bottom of the tv screen i was praying we traded chipper jones, then we could have kept our pitchers and lost that ho face, but i guess this will work too

Drew is an excellent young player that will benefit the braves over the long run. As to your comment on Chipper, are you on crack? Chipper is one of Atlanta's most under used players. He has awesome potential. Leave it to an Atlantan to listen to whatever Turner tells you. Atlanta does not deserve Jones and if he played somewhere else he'd be an all-star. If you don't want him then deal him cause Atlanta doesn't deserve him.

Drew is an excellent young player that will benefit the braves over the long run. As to your comment on Chipper, are you on crack? Chipper is one of Atlanta's most under used players. He has awesome potential. Leave it to an Atlantan to listen to whatever Turner tells you. Atlanta does not deserve Jones and if he played somewhere else he'd be an all-star. If you don't want him then deal him cause Atlanta doesn't deserve him.

you can have him for all i care. hes stuck up and doesnt care. he seems to put little to no effort into chasing down fly balls or balls that roll into the corner, often allowing runners to gain an extra base. he doesnt hit in the clutch, and doesnt show any fire or emotion when he fails. He is not under used, he gets every chance in the world. he hits cleanup for gods sake. not long after the season ended, his name was briefly mentioned in trade rumors and he threw a fit about how he doesnt see why anyone would want to get rid of him, and how he'd rather play somewhere he's wanted. i wouldnt miss him for a second

Jones isn't an outfielder though. He belongs on third. As for clean up you're thinking of Andrew Jones. He's your prized possesion. Chipper bats from both sides of the plates and has power from both sides too. I can't believe that you don't recognize Chipper's true potential.

Andruw bats 5th. last year it was

3 - Sheff

4 - Chipper

5 - Andruw

6 - Javy

Chipper has a lot of potential and a lot of talent, its his attitude that gets me. he could be a lot better player than he is if he would just put a little more effort into it. his demeanor works well enough in the regular season, but in the playoffs we need someone to step up and lead the team. chipper has been called upon to do that, and has failed to do so.

So because he's not a leader you'll deal him? Why don't you just trade half your team then. Not everyone is a leader and just cause Chipper's not doesn't mean he should be dealt.

if hes not gonna be a leader then he doesnt need to be complaining about being in left field, doesnt need to be hitting cleanup, doesnt need to be the posterboy of the team. his attitude has cost us at least 7 or 8 games in the last couple of years.. whether its his bat, his lack of hustle, or most commonly his glove. his head just isnt in the right place.

Just because he's not leader doesn't mean he's not a great player. It doesn't mean he can't dispute what position he plays. Also in baseball one player does not loose a game. It's a team thing. If he blew a play why didn't the next guy fix it. You can't blame a loss on one guy. He's great player that doesn't deserve this kind of scrutiny.

catnip, might i remind u of the late season stats that chipper jones put up, to win the braves the pennant over the mets. he single handidly beat the mets in one game, 2-1, with 2 solo homeruns. yes the braves offense SUX in the postseason, ill be the first braves fan to admit it, but chipper is usually one the only guys who does hit. the reason he isnt an all star nemore, is because he is an outfielder. sosa, bonds, edmonds, pujols, sheffield all of the above mentioned have played outfield their entire career, he is only in his second season out there. come on, give the man some credit