The first of the additional games I ordered arrived last night - Ms. Pac Man for the 7800. Worlds better in terms of graphics over the 2600 edition. The ghosts don't fade out on me on this one. Its also faster and harder, more like the arcade version overall. I expected the graphics to be better, but I wasn't expecting this drastic an improvement!

Old failing capacitors and other components may also cause interference. I replaced the main filter capacitor and the 5v voltage regular in my Atari 2600 and it improved the picture quality quite a bit. Of course the 7800 is a lot newer but it still may be worth checking into. Also if you are using one of those old switch boxes throw it away, those things were terrible even when they were new.

Just get one of those adapters that lets you connect the RCA plug straight into the coax connector on your TV. Even better you an get one of those AV mods someone mentioned; they are fairly easy to install if you know how to solder. That will help the picture quality tremendously. Cleaning your cartridges and the cartridge connectors in the console is also a good idea. After 30 years they will usually be really tarnished and dirty.

Old failing capacitors and other components may also cause interference. I replaced the main filter capacitor and the 5v voltage regular in my Atari 2600 and it improved the picture quality quite a bit. Of course the 7800 is a lot newer but it still may be worth checking into. Also if you are using one of those old switch boxes throw it away, those things were terrible even when they were new.

Just get one of those adapters that lets you connect the RCA plug straight into the coax connector on your TV. Even better you an get one of those AV mods someone mentioned; they are fairly easy to install if you know how to solder. That will help the picture quality tremendously. Cleaning your cartridges and the cartridge connectors in the console is also a good idea. After 30 years they will usually be really tarnished and dirty.

Good advice.

I'm thinking the interference is environmental, since it only occurs on the living room TV next to the wireless router & microcell. Lots of signal being pumped out right by the TV!

I'm not using a switchbox. Nothing else I use needs to use the coax input, so its just the RCA cable direct to the TV, with a coax adapter like you suggest.

I also hooked it up to my cousin's TV with no problem, which definitely points to the environment being the problem IMO. I might try the mod. I have a little experience with soldering, but don't do it often. I opted to try the less invasive fix options first, even if they're also less effective.

Overall, I'm amazed at how well this 30 year old system works. I wish modern consoles had this kind of longevity!

I scored an Atari Flashback game machine for $31.79 ! :woot:

As much as $60 on-line.

92 games -- I'm the coolest.

Nice. Hope you have as much fun as I am with the 7800.

Nice. Hope you have as much fun as I am with the 7800.

I wish those wireless controllers were compatible with the genuine article.

I scored an Atari Flashback game machine for $31.79 ! :woot:

As much as $60 on-line.

92 games -- I'm the coolest.

Nice. I have over 100 games on iPad from Atari which it came with iCade that I got it for Christmas a few years ago that I didn't ask for it. :rolleyes:  

Is that official?

Yes...  that they were released a couple of years ago...  I wish they come with wireless controllers...  it would be awesome if they did.  

I have Atari 400 ... maybe I will hook it up to my Plasma TV and see how it goes sometime.

• Like 2

There is just something terrible with most Atari 2600 games. I just wish if they were going to make the Flashback, then release one with at least most if not all of the released titles for it instead of just making new versions with more and more games each time. But I guess they make more money doing it that way.

I have the Flashback 2+ which is slightly different than the 2 in games but it's horrible.