Anyone using Redmere HDMI cables?

I just bought my first house (yay!)  and wanted to wall mount the TV.  The problem is that where my stereo receiver/HTPC/etc are going to be is in the back of the room, opposite the TV.   I was going to get an electrician to come out and run cables for both a sound bar, as well as the HDMI cable for the TV, but I'm in a bit of a bind.   I currently have a Samsung 1080p TV (UN60H7150), but I want to eventually upgrade to a 4k tv, and do not want to have to have someone come out and re-run a cable later on.

My choices are the following:

18Gbps:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025508

but only up to 15 ft... I need ~40-45Ft to go up a wall, through the ceiling, down a wall.

or one of these:

10.2 rated at 18Gbps:

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4528

10.2 Gbps

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9432&seq=1&format=2

that is long enough to make the trip, but as it's only 10.2Gbps cable, it may not support 60fps 4k resolution later on. 

So I ask you all...would I be fine with the 10.2Gbps for the foreseeable future, or should i try and find alternate ways of getting a 18Gbps cable installed?   I would like to future proof this wall run as much as possible now, so that I don't need to re-open the walls later.

My understanding is that any HDMI 1.4 spec cable with do 4K at 24fps, but you'll need an HDMI 2.0 spec cable to do 4K at 60fps.

First of all, don't buy monster cables, they are a rip off, especially for something that 'gold connections' have zero effect on - digital audio and video.

My understanding is that any HDMI 1.4 spec cable with do 4K at 24fps, but you'll need an HDMI 2.0 spec cable to do 4K at 60fps.

anyone trying to sell you HDMI 2.0 spec cable is trying to scam you. any hdmi 1.3 or over (category 2/10.2gbit/s) hdmi cable that does 1080p 60hz will also do 4k 60hz if your tv supports hdmi 2.0.

I use new Monster HDMI cables myself. prime gold connections. cost a little bit more but good signal quality

a LITTLE bit more.     HDMI is digital and the myth that you get a better picture with expensive cables have being debunked many times over.

so you are paying way more for the same picture :rofl:  makes no sense at all.  a total rip off.

• Like 3

a LITTLE bit more.     HDMI is digital and the myth that you get a better picture with expensive cables have being debunked many times over.

so you are paying way more for the same picture :rofl:  makes no sense at all.  a total rip off.

my thinking has always been, you get what you pay for and gold conducts signal better than regular metal or steel.

anyone trying to sell you HDMI 2.0 spec cable is trying to scam you. any hdmi 1.3 or over (category 2/10.2gbit/s) hdmi cable that does 1080p 60hz will also do 4k 60hz if your tv supports hdmi 2.0.

Yup, I retract what I said above.

my thinking has always been, you get what you pay for and gold conducts signal better than regular metal or steel.

You can't possibly be serious. You are trolling right? By this time everyone with the Internet has access to information informing people of the scam that monster has been running for years!
  • Like 3

it is a digital connection - it either works or it does not. there is no scale, where you can improve signal by improving the conducting material.  :rolleyes:

why not just use CAT6 between the two wall sockets and then HDMI from wall to device

Best advice on here so far.

First of all, don't buy monster cables, they are a rip off, especially for something that 'gold connections' have zero effect on - digital audio and video.

Exactly. You either have a digital signal, or you don't.

Amazing that people are still debating this in 2014.

• Like 2

If HDMI was an analogue signal then maybe gold would be of some benefit but as it stands it does nothing for an digital connection which is either 1 or 0 or nothing at all and if your still worried about signal loss then use STP CAT6 cable and not UTP

STP = Shielded twisted Pair 

UTP = Unshielded Twisted Pair 

If HDMI was an analogue signal then maybe gold would be of some benefit but as it stands it does nothing for an digital connection which is either 1 or 0 or nothing at all and if your still worried about signal loss then use STP CAT6 cable and not UTP

STP = Shielded twisted Pair 

UTP = Unshielded Twisted Pair 

Ya know, I dont think more expensive cables do anything - but one thing I was never sure about is the whole "its digital, it either works or it doesnt" --

If there is a bad connection and it doesnt send everything properly, does the signal have to be re-sent ?  And if so, wouldnt a better material prevent or lessen that chance ?  Thats all I will say.

I used big fat, expensive cables on my computer because I like the looks - but, paying $1000 for 10' of HDMI is something I wont do.

As for the people who have Krell, McInstosh, Runco, and those types of theater stuff, where a system might be $200,000 or more - one would think that getting $10 cables from monoprice is out of the question.

Monster is a scam yes, however there is a difference between cheap and expensive cables, when you get beyond 5 meter setups. HDMI spec certifies up to 10 or 12 meters, so when I ha to have a15 meter cable the cheap ones worked across the room at 10m but the 15 meter ones either give blank, green sparkly stars in the picture or green picture intermittently. A more expensive but still far cheaper than monster 15 cable with much thicker gauge worked fine.

So don't go cheap on long stretches, get a cable this certified for the length.

• Like 2

No if the signal isn't received it's just not received usually ending with corrupted picture or wonky sound bit like rain fade on satellite TV signals but with regards to cable type the more expensive is not always the better way to go names like Pudney and the sort usually make good quality cables at far lesser prices and at 1.5mtr to 5mtr there isn't going to be any difference between a $10 cable and one that costs $60+...

As for audio cable well that's mainly analogue signals so big fat expensive cables do make a difference 

Ya know, I dont think more expensive cables do anything - but one thing I was never sure about is the whole "its digital, it either works or it doesnt" --

If there is a bad connection and it doesnt send everything properly, does the signal have to be re-sent ?  And if so, wouldnt a better material prevent or lessen that chance ?  Thats all I will say.

I used big fat, expensive cables on my computer because I like the looks - but, paying $1000 for 10' of HDMI is something I wont do.

As for the people who have Krell, McInstosh, Runco, and those types of theater stuff, where a system might be $200,000 or more - one would think that getting $10 cables from monoprice is out of the question.

I don't believe video signals have re send error correction, but instead relies on receiver end error correction or ignoring the error. Hence green sparkles.

No if the signal isn't received it's just not received usually ending with corrupted picture or wonky sound bit like rain fade on satellite TV signals but with regards to cable type the more expensive is not always the better way to go names like Pudney and the sort usually make good quality cables at far lesser prices and at 1.5mtr to 5mtr there isn't going to be any difference between a $10 cable and one that costs $60+...

As for audio cable well that's mainly analogue signals so big fat expensive cables do make a difference 

HDMI can send picture with errors, generally it manifests as green sparkles up until the picture starts freezing and dropping intermittently before it goes all blank.

as for audio blind tests show that hanger wire works as well as vacuum molded gold high gauge monster cables.

• Like 2

Don't run cables, run conduit. That way you can run and rerun other cables whenever you damn well please. It's also a pretty simple task that shouldn't require an electrician unless you are also putting in new power points, in which case a qualified electrician may be required by law.

For a short run any well made cable should suffice.  However, for longer runs, attenuation and jitter starts to become a real issue - this is even true for CAT6 cables - so a better quality cable and connections will help.

• Like 2