Did PlayStation Plus Represent Value for Money in 2014?

In hindsight, we suppose that Sony?s strategy with PlayStation Plus was a little cunning. When the platform holder rolled out its subscription service several years ago, it was billed as an optional extra for PlayStation 3 owners ? a mere means for members to secure a pocketful of freebies for a nominal fee. As the years passed, the quality of said giveaways improved, eventually representing such ridiculous value that no one batted an eyelid when Jack Tretton quietly confirmed that you?ll need to pay to play online with the PlayStation 4.

Now that it?s got consumers where it wants them, though, has the quality of the premium platform taken a nosedive? With the manufacturer running a multiplayer competition to round out the year ? as well as plenty of European and North American offers that take advantage of the membership ? we figured that we?d take a look at PlayStation Plus as a whole in 2014, and determine how well the service has fared over the past 12 months. Has the Japanese giant taken its foot off the gas ? or is the service still leading the way as far as added value is concerned?

With all of the data painstakingly collated, we can finally attempt to answer the initial question: did PlayStation Plus represent value for money in 2014? Well, according to our research, Sony gave away $1,349.29 worth of software in North America this year, and ?960.64 in Europe. That?s an average of $112.44/?81.72 per month ? a number which makes the service?s $49.99/?39.99 annual asking fee look like a bargain.
There are some caveats to contend with here, however. Any software given away with Sony?s subscription will expire should you opt to let your membership lapse, though you will regain access should you pod up for another term within a timely manner. In addition, it?s worth mentioning that not every title was a blockbuster, but the average monthly Metacritic rating according to our research was 79 in North America and 78 in Europe. Not to be sniffed at, then.

And, of course, the giveaways aren?t the only things worthy of note. In addition to enabling you to play online, the Japanese giant?s subscription service also offers regular discounts, as well as cloud storage, competitions, and perks such as Tune In radio. There?s also the implementation of Share Play on the PS4 to take into account as well, which allows you to create a virtual couch co-op experience with your pals ? even if your mates don?t own the same games.

We reckon that the numbers and features speak for themselves ? even if there has been some dissatisfaction with the types of titles offered over the past twelve months. Much of the PS4?s library this year, for example, has centred on indie games, while the PS3 and Vita offerings also sagged a little during the slow summer months. With the December update boasting some of the best value all year, though, the service is ending 2014 on a real high note ? and inFAMOUS: First Light is still to follow in January.

More @ http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/12/feature_did_playstation_plus_represent_value_for_money_in_2014

• Like 2

Nope I can play multiplayer for free on the ps3.

I wasn't too concerned with the 'freebies' on ps plus and preferred it as an opt in feature.

I would have been happy if the plus feature actually meant better moderation in online gaming, but this is not the case, sony still pass the buck, saying a cheater in a game is the jurisdiction of said game company, and vice versa.

As a result, I still don't think the quality of Moderation has improved, now that I'm forced to pay to play online games.

I like the service and concept, however i think it's a reflection on the number of games available on the Vita, but i had to give it up as it just wasn't worth it for me. 

If i get a PS4 in the future then im pretty sure ill be signed straight back up as i did pick up some good games on my PS3.

Hold on... they are scrapping the freebies? Since when?

I just bought a PS4 and Playstation Plus 12mo membership... so all i'll get is Decembers and Januaries freebies then that is it?

Hold on... they are scrapping the freebies? Since when?

I just bought a PS4 and Playstation Plus 12mo membership... so all i'll get is Decembers and Januaries freebies then that is it?

No, where are you getting that from?

No, where are you getting that from?

I think I misinterpreted the last line

little during the slow summer months. With the December update boasting some of the best value all year, though, the service is ending 2014 on a real high note ? and inFAMOUS: First Light is still to follow in January.

Started well this year but for PS3 it seems to be a bit mediocre as of late. I've not heard of many of the titles available the last couple of months.

Well I can attest to the fact that it has saved me a lot of money over this year. I have even changed my buying habits around the idea of waiting for a game to go on sale or be free to access.

Its a service that pays for itself.