Apple 'failing to protect Chinese factory workers'

Story link: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30532463

I have recently decided to stop purchasing any product that says "Made in China". The government is even more corrupt than the US government, which isn't easy, and foreign companies are taking advantage of Chinese workers.

Apple is among them, and should be ashamed. As I am in myself for being a part of this by thinking more about price than anything else all these years. For one American bloke, that has ended. I'll spend more to buy American-made.

Apple gets singled out as the poster boy, and it certainly should have responsibility to crack down on this. But all the tech companies are guilty of exploiting this cheap labour. It's extremely sad. I can't see it ever changing though. 

Apple and just about every other company that uses labor in China are smart. They know the public has a short memory. They care about the welfare of their workers as long as it's in the popular mind. As soon as it's forgotten, so, too, is the welfare of the workers. Report after report show that despite all the "promises" Apple and other company make to these workers, they are broken and unenforced.

If you live in a first world and want cheap, frequently replaced electronics, your going to rely on low paid, sometimes slave labor in horrible conditions making them.

Electronics parts, some of which use rare earth elements, is the equivalent of blood diamond situation as well.

Company's outsource / pick suppliers that can take the blame, if something happens, while pretending the outsourced company makes sure none of it happens.

Happy Holidays :)

If you live in a first world and want cheap, frequently replaced electronics, your going to rely on low paid, sometimes slave labor in horrible conditions making them.

Electronics parts, some of which use rare earth elements, is the equivalent of blood diamond situation as well.

Company's outsource / pick suppliers that can take the blame, if something happens, while pretending the outsourced company makes sure none of it happens.

Happy Holidays :)

This is, sadly, the truth. And it's not just electronics. Almost every single cheap product out there is, at the end of it all, going to be sourced from some area or region with poor welfare for workers. Unless you grow your own food, make your own clothes and don't own anything, it's near impossible to avoid "contributing" to the vicious cycle.

I hope that people here realise that they tried to limit hours and the employees protested because they needed the money for their family back home. Maybe instead of beating up Apple the focus should be on the massive income inequality in China and the desperate lengths people go to so that their family are supported - but hey, wouldn't be as cool as beating up Apple.

yes its currently the norm, but it shouldn't be.....ask for change is a good thing!

we are talking about the richest company in the world, if they can't do it what hope do the rest have?