Windows 8 hater finally upgrading (me)

The amount of changes Microsoft has already implemented with Windows 10, a number of them that have moved away from your flawed, minimalistic view of how a desktop computing experience should be.

I think there is an underlying assumption in this statement that might not necessarily be true.  Just because Microsoft are making these changes in Windows 10, doesn't necessarily mean that the changes are commensurate with their vision.  The shift makes it seem they are pivoting so that they can sell their product, not because that is how they really believe the product should be.  Anyone who has worked in a product organisation will tell you of this reality.

Personally I think Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been, but Windows 11 is what Windows 8.1 is, and Windows 12 should be what Windows 8 was.  I think the jump they made was too quick (for most people), and didn't get the mind-share they needed to help make Windows 8 the success it deserved to be.

But that is just my opinion.  And obviously none of us are in the heads of the people that actually hold this vision.

I think there is an underlying assumption in this statement that might not necessarily be true.  Just because Microsoft are making these changes in Windows 10, doesn't necessarily mean that the changes are commensurate with their vision.  The shift makes it seem they are pivoting so that they can sell their product, not because that is how they really believe the product to be.  Anyone who has worked in a product organisation will tell you of this reality

The change that were already implemented in 8.1 vs 8 show you the back tracking Microsoft did, due to consumer sentiment, and only reinforces that many changes in 10 that are directly related to that.

You don't change and take out the two fundamental aspects users look for when working with Windows and put them back in a major version later.... the start button and menu. No. This was a clear oops by Microsoft and how THEY wanted their product to be and not how consumers wanted it to be.

The change that were already implemented in 8.1 vs 8 show you the back tracking Microsoft did, due to consumer sentiment, and only reinforces that many changes in 10 that are directly related to that.

You don't change and take out the two fundamental aspects users look for when working with Windows and put them back in a major version later.... the start button and menu. No. This was a clear oops by Microsoft and how THEY wanted their product to be and not how consumers wanted it to be.

Right - so I state my view as opinion, you state yours as fact.  If you have a view of what is going to happen in the future, can you tell me what the lottery numbers will be next week? /sarcasm

Your post just shows you completely misunderstood what I wrote... the point I made, is Microsoft may well be taking a different path to the same destination made of smaller incremental steps rather than the big bang they attempted the first time round with Windows 8.  You don't know (neither do I, but I did say it was my opinion).

I am sorry if the idea of a Start Menu-less world returning has ruined your day - but like I said, that is my opinion.

Wasting time because they want glass enabled? Nonsense. I suppose users complaining that Office 2013 is too bright, white and they don't like using it and tend to use it less makes them more productive too? I mean that certainly doesn't waste time at all, right?

Folks I failed. :-(

I am installing Windows 7 on my rig as I type this.

Final straw was I was held hostage by Microsoft for 30 days to change my login lock screen because it refwrenched an ancient Gmail address I NO Longer use??! I have to wait until January 20th to, change a setting on my own computer!

... and I spent all last night putting nagware like glass8 on and start8 to just have it pretend it's Windows 7.

This and metro kept popping up like a sczophrenic sailor when changing account settings.

Soo much is wrong and broken. It feels like the marketing department put it in with no testing and ignoring feedback. Sorry DOT the gui is very distracting due to it's nature. 2 different guis fighting. An emphasis of full screen for things like UAC and modern apps is bad for desktop folks with stuff open.

I proved I am not an irrational hater. I had high hopes this time around.

But consistancy and testing are sorely needed. ... well off to setup my account in win 7

I am sorry if the idea of a Start Menu-less world returning has ruined your day - but like I said, that is my opinion.

Day not ruined here.. I'm an 8.1 user both at home and work with no 3rd party tools. I enjoy 8.1 and wouldn't ever go back to 7, but I completely understand peoples frustrations (and hear them all the time) with complete lack of consistency when running 8 on a non touch system.

Because I used to laugh at XP die hards getting mad at Microsoft for dumping XP after a mere 13 years. I would be no different.

Besides I need to emulate whole freakign Cisco switches and need something that doesn't slow down under a very heavy load. Dot Matrix and others are correct in that the world changes and things advance. If I stay on Windows 7 how will I adapt to change like Windows 10 or late. I want an xboxONE too. Guess which OS is better integrated. Windows 10 may even run xboxone games if www.maximumpc.com is correct.

With these utilities it is bareable.

Also my monitor has VERY HIGH GAMMA which is why I hated the initial bright Windows task bars in 8 and Office 2013. I turned it down now so it is barable. I think the flat look is here like Yosemite has it in MacOSX but it seems to be showing off a demo which is now outdated looking in comparison. A small light aero is what I hope in Windows 10 in the consumer preview. But there is a hostile move for white flat no colors inside Microsoft. Look at the job in Office 2013. At the last second color was removed knowing folks would be forced to use it in order to get used to it. Metro in 8 was there too.

sinetheo - I came from mainframes, and learned that lesson the hard way.  There is no steady-state of computing, as much even us old mainframe folks wished were the case.

The drivers of computing (age-wise) are a lot younger, and they have mostly NOT learned the harsh lesson of complacency.  Complacency is a lot like Mother Nature - red in tooth and claw, and she takes no prisoners whatever.  She may have curves like Wonder Woman, but she also has Circe's reputation.  Change is inevitable, and you have two choices - deal with it or die/drown.  Dying is no fun - and drown is one of the least-pleasing methods of death.

Day not ruined here.. I'm an 8.1 user both at home and work with no 3rd party tools. I enjoy 8.1 and wouldn't ever go back to 7, but I completely understand peoples frustrations (and hear them all the time) with complete lack of consistency when running 8 on a non touch system.

Sounds like you got undone by using a Microsoft account tied to an old e-mail address you no longer used.  Account settings (Microsoft or otherwise) can be a bugbear - do you honestly think that Android/Google users (or iCloud users) have it ANY easier (My mom has had the same issue with Android (on her smartphone AND her tablet) twice just in December - I have had a similar issue on virtual tablets.  When you have multiple accounts - for privacy AND security reasons - it will, at some point, come back and bite you - the question is how HARD will it bite you.)

You could use a local account (ala 7) - as you don't HAVE to use a Microsoft account - not even in the Technical Preview.

Personally, what I would of done if I wanted the look and feel of Windows 7 is install StartIsBack, Aero Glass for Windows 8.1, UxTheme Multi-Patcher to allow third-party theme customization and find + download a Windows 7 theme off DeviantArt.

The drivers of computing (age-wise) are a lot younger, and they have mostly NOT learned the harsh lesson of complacency.

"harsh lesson of complacency"? What harsh lesson?

sinetheo - I came from mainframes, and learned that lesson the hard way. There is no steady-state of computing, as much even us old mainframe folks wished were the case.

The drivers of computing (age-wise) are a lot younger, and they have mostly NOT learned the harsh lesson of complacency. Complacency is a lot like Mother Nature - red in tooth and claw, and she takes no prisoners whatever. She may have curves like Wonder Woman, but she also has Circe's reputation. Change is inevitable, and you have two choices - deal with it or die/drown. Dying is no fun - and drown is one of the least-pleasing methods of death.

I was going to say XP ma be the exception. Still is for 15% of all Internet users :-)

Sounds like you got undone by using a Microsoft account tied to an old e-mail address you no longer used. Account settings (Microsoft or otherwise) can be a bugbear - do you honestly think that Android/Google users (or iCloud users) have it ANY easier (My mom has had the same issue with Android (on her smartphone AND her tablet) twice just in December - I have had a similar issue on virtual tablets. When you have multiple accounts - for privacy AND security reasons - it will, at some point, come back and bite you - the question is how HARD will it bite you.)

You could use a local account (ala 7) - as you don't HAVE to use a Microsoft account - not even in the Technical Preview.

Besides start screen the tying to a Hotmail account is the number 2 complaint and now I see why

Personally, what I would of done if I wanted the look and feel of Windows 7 is install StartIsBack, Aero Glass for Windows 8.1, UxTheme Multi-Patcher to allow third-party theme customization and find + download a Windows 7 theme off DeviantArt.

But why put in all the effort to mimic another os poorly when you can just use the other os. Being locked out of one drive and my login screen options for 30 days is not acceptable

But why put in all the effort to mimic another os poorly when you can just use the other os. Being locked out of one drive and my login screen options for 30 days is not acceptable

How did you manage to get locked out? Did you enter an incorrect password many times?

You're already putting some effort into turning Windows 8 into Windows 7, since you're avoiding Metro and trying to get glass back. As you point out, it can be very challenging to turn one thing into something that it is not.

If you're trying to mimic another OS, then you're not ready to move on. Windows 8 isn't Windows 7, and never will be. Windows 10 isn't Windows 7 either for that matter.

If you're ready to move on, then mimicking isn't going to help you in this regard. You're so hesitant to use Metro, yet that's what Microsoft's products consist of nowadays.

I have yet to hear any complaints from the lack of glass. Many computers I support don't even have the feature turned on. Take me as little serious as you want, again, I still believe a good GUI is one that doesn't distract you from your work. If your users are complaining about glass, then it seems like they're less focused on the tasks they should be accomplishing, and more on wasting time.

haha, first off, not everyone uses their computer for work and just for playing games.. Second, you'd make a horrible boss. If you manage computers in a org, you'll realize that that from admin assistants all the way to the top dogs, will bitch about the littlest things thathave nothing to do with work. It would be your job, to help them, even it it has nothing to do with work. Unless you work for a company with a highly strict computer policy, such has locked wallpapers and crap..  While, those groups make jobs easier for IT (most of the time), it just ends up being counterproductive and making enemies.. 

• Like 2

well I guess you're now back to being besties with order66

Yep

I need something that just works .. and I mean work with me and not trying to decide if it is a cell phone or not. Windows 7 is starting to age but it works and is simple and gorgeous in every way. I tried and lets hope it can handle the load I plan to unleash? It should even with the outdated kernel hopefully. MS needs to rethink its accomplishments and R&D. Win 8 didn't have any. Windows 7 and XP did.

I still believe a good GUI is one that doesn't distract you from your work.

This coming  from someone who loves a full start menu to appear everytime he presses the windows key.

I have yet to hear any complaints from the lack of glass. Many computers I support don't even have the feature turned on. Take me as little serious as you want, again, I still believe a good GUI is one that doesn't distract you from your work. If your users are complaining about glass, then it seems like they're less focused on the tasks they should be accomplishing, and more on wasting time.

I don't complain about lack of glass and really never cared about it but if most users want it back they should at least be given the option natively, there was no legitimate reason to remove it.

This coming  from someone who loves a full start menu to appear everytime he presses the windows key.

If you pin the right programs to the start screen, it's bearable. I'm running 8.1 full time now on all but my work PC and was a staunch 7 supporter.

I was going to say XP ma be the exception. Still is for 15% of all Internet users :-)

Besides start screen the tying to a Hotmail account is the number 2 complaint and now I see why

My Outlook.com account used to BE a Hotmail account - I migrated it after settling on Outlook.com back during the debut period; the bigger issue is any e-mail account that gets little use (hence the issues I've had with GMail - Outlook.com replaced it for non-ISP e-mail, and I don't have a smartphone; I use it only for Google services, and I don't use that many of those).  In short, the issue I've had is identical to yours, and it is due to an account getting little to no use otherwise - if I had a smartphone or tablet, it is certain that my gmail.com account WOULD get more use.  (That same issue is a high complaint among tablet and smartphone users - especially Android tablet and smartphone users, with iOS users not far behind.  My Apple ID (which I use with all Apple services) is - egad - my Outlook.com account (with a different password).  XP is no exception - if anything, it is just as vulnerable as any other OS that is past the EOL date.

I wanted to like Windows 8, but I just couldn't, having only used two of the preview builds. I never used final, except briefly on in-laws' computers. My wife absolutely detests it, having used those preview builds along with me. With three builds of the Windows 10 tech preview, I've gotten her to adapt to Windows as a web service (she accepts this blindly on her third Android phone and the two she had before, as well as her Xbox 360 (not mine, nor ours) with the same account. And she's okay with live tiles, though she completely ignores them. As a married man, I'm sure some of you know, what the wife likes is a big factor in choice of OS. I think the Windows 8/8.1/10 desktop is better than 7's (I am not a fan of Glass), but the Start Screen is counterintuitive to a user who has a vertical monitor without any touch support. At least, in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of the Start Menu. Never have been. As early as Windows 98, I was opening two file explorer windows, both on the Start menu folder. I made categories in the top level