• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Is it OK designing a site that only works with JavaScript enabled?

Question

Jose_49    1,033

Sup! I'm wondering... Currently I'm building a website with ASP.NET MVC 5, and there are many areas in which I do AJAX calls, and some DOM manipulation for editing, saving, and adding content. In most cases, having JavaScript disabled will prevent those features from working, leaving the Web App almost useless. 

Is this OK, or should I focus on a non-JavaScript-based scenario? 

The target audience is a small group (around 1,000 people, accessing it via Phone most of the time) 

I'm currently supporting browsers IE9+, and the latest Opera, Firefox and Chrome, plus their mobile variants.

3 answers to this question

Seahorsepip    610

Yes it's ok, when your website is more then just a very simple blog then requiring the visitors to have javascript enabled is more then justified. The modern web requires javascript, most videos, embedded content and canvas elements require it.

• Like 2

Jose_49    1,033

Yes it's ok, when your website is more then just a very simple blog then requiring the visitors to have javascript enabled is more then justified. The modern web requires javascript, most videos, embedded content and canvas elements require it.

Thank You! :D I can rest in peace Woooohooo

Steve H.    0

It is perfectly fine to create website which does not work when javascript is disabled. Most modern apps requires javascript. Modern user interactions on webpage are so much dependant on javascript or javascript based frameworks.