How to pronounce "Israel"?

OK, this is getting way off-subject...

to re-phrase my original question: if we all agree it's is-ray-ell, why do people like Sinatra and Michael Buble sing it as is-rye-ell?

JC

Because they're singers, one's dead, the other, braindead :p
  • Like 2

OK, this is getting way off-subject...

to re-phrase my original question: if we all agree it's is-ray-ell, why do people like Sinatra and Michael Buble sing it as is-rye-ell?

JC

It depends where you come from. It's like how oregano is pronounced differently in the U.S. and in U.K. English speaking countries (O-reg-ano or O-re-gano respectively).

As far as singers go, they might alter the pronunciation for the sake or a ryhme or hymn metre.

Your question has well and truly been answered.

Hence my Potato quote the old song says it all

This said you must have realized the query was controversial, I'm surprised more politics didn't emerge into the subject matter.Anyhow as has been stated the question was clearly answered.

you must have realized the query was controversial

Maybe I'm naive but I didn't expect it to diverted away from the linguistics, and certainly did't intend any political controversy. But anyway, "its whatever you call it wherever you are" doesn't answer my question about the origins of the "alternative"pronunciation.  Yes, it's often associated with golden-era American Songbook performance, but that was an environment with a massive recent-immigrant Jewish influence, so it seems unlikely that a mis-pronunciation of such a significant word would go uncorrected.

Is-rah-el seems to be the correct one if pronounced by someone who can accurately enunciate all the tones of the Hebrew language.

Then Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him until daybreak. 25 When he saw that he had not prevailed against him, he touched the socket of his thigh; so the socket of Jacob

Thank you!  That's definitive enough for me.  If the prime minister of Israel pronounces it iz-rl when speaking English then is-rl it should be.

Question answered.

Thanks

JC

Thank you!  That's definitive enough for me.  If the prime minister of Israel pronounces it iz-rl when speaking English then is-rl it should be.

What if he pronounces it differently when speaking Hebrew? He is obviously fluent in both languages, he might pronounce it differently in his native tongue.

I'm still confused as to why this one particular word's pronunciation is so important.

I'm still confused as to why this one particular word's pronunciation is so important.

He is possibly planning an evocation of one of the 72 demons evoked by king solomon, the king of israel, and he does not want to screw up the pronunciation?

• Like 1

It's not important. I was just a bit curious and, being the Xmas holiday, had the time to pursue it.

It's not important. I was just a bit curious and, being the Xmas holiday, had the time to pursue it.

to avoid any further posting, you could simply ask a mod to close the thread if you feel your question has been answered :)