Xbox One vs PS4: Who won 2014?

It's not subjective that one has more content then the other. It IS subjective which controller is more comfortable. Also while it's true Dualshock controllers have traditionally had poor triggers it is largely agreed that this has FINALLY been corrected with the DualShock 4. (it's impossible to get everyone to agree because it IS subjective)

When someone asks is game X better on console A or console B I seriously doubt they want the comparison to be based "almost entirely" on your personal opinion of the ergonomics of the consoles controller. It IS logical to assume they would want a comparison based on objective metrics like content, framerate, resolution, etc. and not subjective criteria like which controller you personally prefer.

The issue here is you fail to recognize that these "facts" have subjective importance. If what you are saying should be the only factors in an opinion about what is better and why then we may as well all play multiplatform games on PC whenever possible because (logically) the PC will do it better. Why even have consoles if all you care about is raw numbers and if the word "more" can be applied. Bigger is not always better, and there are more to games than just being bigger.

Sad thing is, my Commodore 64 has a faster game installation time than both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 - and it uses TAPE. :rofl:

The issue here is you fail to recognize that these "facts" have subjective importance. If what you are saying should be the only factors in an opinion about what is better and why then we may as well all play multiplatform games on PC whenever possible because (logically) the PC will do it better. Why even have consoles if all you care about is raw numbers and if the word "more" can be applied. Bigger is not always better, and there are more to games than just being bigger.

Games on a PC differ wildly based on what hardware you have. One console owner cannot have a different experience from another. Just saying.

When someone asks if a game is better on system X or Y they typically want an objective comparison of the game.  I'm not saying that should be the ONLY factor in their decision.  I'm saying someone elses subjective opinion isn't going to matter to them.  No one else cares what controller you like better when asking about a game.  It's good you have an opinion and you should absolutely factor that into YOUR decision on what to buy but it doesn't matter to anyone else.  If the person asking for the comparison has a strong preference they should absolutely factor that into their decision as well but they don't need you to tell them what that opinion is, they want you to tell them objective facts about a game so they can weight it themselves along with their own subjective opinions which may or may not be similar to yours.

Sad thing is, my Commodore 64 has a faster game installation time than both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 - and it uses TAPE. :rofl:

My TRS-80 game installs from tape are pretty fast too!

Actually, I think my games RAN from tape on that.

Personally, I think WE won.  The race between these two consoles over the last year has driven innovation and improvements on both.

I'm lucky enough to have both.  Each has it's strengths and weaknesses.  Both are great.

• Like 2

I have a feeling you do not own a PS4, as the install times are super fast. And yes, I owned an actual Commodore 64 so can compare the load times, which Spy Hunter is still loading on it and I started in 1986.

And I read some comments in here and all I will say is it is pretty amusing how some people state their opinion as a fact. Which console has the better games is entirely subjective.

Also the truth is we should all want BOTH consoles to be successful. That is what would benefit the gamer the best. Even if you only own one of the consoles (I own them all), you should want the "competition" to do as good as they can cause that benefits "your" console ultimately.

• Like 2

I have a feeling you do not own a PS4, as the install times are super fast. And yes, I owned an actual Commodore 64 so can compare the load times, which Spy Hunter is still loading on it and I started in 1986.

And I read some comments in here and all I will say is it is pretty amusing how some people state their opinion as a fact. Which console has the better games is entirely subjective.

Also the truth is we should all want BOTH consoles to be successful. That is what would benefit the gamer the best. Even if you only own one of the consoles (I own them all), you should want the "competition" to do as good as they can cause that benefits "your" console ultimately.

Typical game (let's say Ikari Warriors) takes around 9 minutes from tape. I'd argue that's faster than the majority of AAA titles today on release day from optical media.

My experience on the PS4 is that the installs are not "fast", but we can "start" our game nearly right away while the rest downloads and installs.

In terms of Sales, and smooth launch, PS4.

X1 tripped and fell hard, did some soul searching, brushed itself off, now sprinted off in the right direction. 

I own both systems, and so far PS4's play before full install is a lot quicker then X1's between the games I've own. 

I don't have same game for both systems, so can't compare apple's to apples however.

When someone asks if a game is better on system X or Y they typically want an objective comparison of the game.  I'm not saying that should be the ONLY factor in their decision.  I'm saying someone elses subjective opinion isn't going to matter to them.  No one else cares what controller you like better when asking about a game.  It's good you have an opinion and you should absolutely factor that into YOUR decision on what to buy but it doesn't matter to anyone else.  If the person asking for the comparison has a strong preference they should absolutely factor that into their decision as well but they don't need you to tell them what that opinion is, they want you to tell them objective facts about a game so they can weight it themselves along with their own subjective opinions which may or may not be similar to yours.

Numbers aren't the only objective comparisons you can give. The numbers may not lie, but you forget that which numbers matter to a consumer are in fact subjective themselves, or even times none of them matter. Some people (like me for example) wouldn't care about higher pixels or some minor additional content if it meant they enjoyed actually playing the game just a bit more by using their preferred pad.

You can't really believe that simple statistics are enough for someone to pick which console to buy, right? Especially since each console has much more than just resolutions and framerates to offer. Different libraries, different communities. Different cultures almost. It's like you're boiling down the choice between a Mini Cooper and an Nissan Z to horsepower and legroom and completely forgetting the vehicles have their own unique feel when driving them (ignoring price differences).

Numbers aren't the only objective comparisons you can give. The numbers may not lie, but you forget that which numbers matter to a consumer are in fact subjective themselves, or even times none of them matter.

I did not forget that. I specifically said "...so they can weight it themselves along with their own subjective opinions...", you even quoted that. I totally agree numbers aren't the only objective comparisons and NEVER stated the the contrary. What I've said is person A doesn't care what person B's opinions are. Person A has their own opinions, they should ABSOLUTELY factor them into their decision. No one other than you cares what controller YOU like better. That's important ONLY to you. If they have a controller preference they should absolutely factor that into their decision but they don't need someone else to tell them what their controller preference is or how much it should weigh in their decision. Those are things they should decide for themselves. What they need from others is the objective parts.

Some people (like me for example) wouldn't care about higher pixels or some minor additional content if it meant they enjoyed actually playing the game just a bit more by using their preferred pad.

Right, but you don't know what other peoples pad preference is and the fact that you like one over the other has no value to anyone other than you. Only each indivual person knows their own preferences and they can factor them into their decision by themselves. What they need from reviews and comparisons is the objective parts, the subjective parts and how much each weights is for them to fill out on their own.

You can't really believe that simple statistics are enough for someone to pick which console to buy, right?

I'm not:

Here's the quote again "...so they can weight it themselves along with their own subjective opinions..."

Here's another one "I'm not saying that (simple statistics) should be the ONLY factor in their decision."

Here's another one "If the person asking for the comparison has a strong preference they should absolutely factor that into their decision"

I really don't see how I could have made it any more clear. Did you even read what I wrote?

• Like 2

I did not forget that. I specifically said "...so they can weight it themselves along with their own subjective opinions...", you even quoted that. I totally agree numbers aren't the only objective comparisons and NEVER stated the the contrary. What I've said is person A doesn't care what person B's opinions are. Person A has their own opinions, they should ABSOLUTELY factor them into their decision. No one other than you cares what controller YOU like better. That's important ONLY to you.

Well to be fair if let's say 75% of the gamers prefer one controller over the other then i think it's important. Last gen there was what looked like a relatively strong preference toward the xbox 360 controller among gamers. This gen it doesn't look like it is the case. I hear a lot more people saying they like the Dual Shock 4 than i heard people saying they liked the Dual Shock 3. I actually tried the Dual Shock 4 in a store and i felt like it was big improvement over the other dual shock.

Well to be fair if let's say 75% of the gamers prefer one controller over the other then i think it's important. Last gen there was what looked like a relatively strong preference toward the xbox 360 controller among gamers. This gen it doesn't look like it is the case. I hear a lot more people saying they like the Dual Shock 4 than i heard people saying they liked the Dual Shock 3. I actually tried the Dual Shock 4 in a store and i felt like it was big improvement over the other dual shock.

The DS4 is a huge improvement over the DS3. Night and day. I finally didn't have to get a 3rd party controller with my Playstation. Though I prefer the X1 controller for the better battery life, better build/fit finish, offset sticks with less dead zone. PC gamer and PC mag even picked it to be the preferred controller for PC gaming as well. But we have to give kudos to the huge DS4 improvement. 

I really don't understand how I can make this more clear.

I am NOT saying controller preference shouldn't factor into your choice of what platforms to play a game on.  It ABSOLUTELY should.  I'm saying you likely already know what YOUR controller preference is.  You don't care what mine or anyone elses is.  Even if you don't know yours for some reason having me tell you mine doesn't effect which one your going to end up liking better.  You're going to have to try them on your own and make your own decision.  I can't tell you which one YOU prefer.  Once you've made that decision only you know how much of a factor that is to YOU when comparing games.  So when you ask someone if game X is better on platform A or B all you want from that other person is the objective comparison.  That doesn't mean you'll pick the game they say is better because it all depends on your personal subjective opinions and how you've weighted all the criteria (subjective and objective) against each other.  Maybe you will pick the game that the reviewer said was worse because you have a strong preference for the controller the "worse" version plays on.  That's FINE.  But that's a decision you came to knowing your own subjective prefences and applying the objective information provided by the comparison.  You do not care what controller the reviewer likes better.  If 99% of the market prefers controller A but you're in the 1% that doesn't then are you going to just buy a game (all other things being equal) that works with the controller you hate because everyone else likes it?  I would certainly hope not, it shouldn't make ANY difference at all what someone elses opinion is.  You should base your decision of YOUR opinion plus the objective information provided by reviews/comparisons and weighted however YOU like not how the reviewer or majority or anyone else does.

• Like 1

The DS4 is a huge improvement over the DS3. Night and day. I finally didn't have to get a 3rd party controller with my Playstation. Though I prefer the X1 controller for the better battery life, better build/fit finish, offset sticks with less dead zone. PC gamer and PC mag even picked it to be the preferred controller for PC gaming as well. But we have to give kudos to the huge DS4 improvement. 

The only PC mag article I could find that compares the controllers says the PS4 controller is better: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419594,00.asp

PCGamer Conclusion of the Console Controller for PC article.

It's a bit of a Pepsi vs. Coke situation, really, and though I don't like equivocating, I know that the same reasons I believe the Xbox One controller is better may also be reasons someone prefers the DS4. Preference obviously depends on hand-size and which layout you

I did not forget that. I specifically said "...so they can weight it themselves along with their own subjective opinions...", you even quoted that. I totally agree numbers aren't the only objective comparisons and NEVER stated the the contrary. What I've said is person A doesn't care what person B's opinions are. Person A has their own opinions, they should ABSOLUTELY factor them into their decision. No one other than you cares what controller YOU like better. That's important ONLY to you. If they have a controller preference they should absolutely factor that into their decision but they don't need someone else to tell them what their controller preference is or how much it should weigh in their decision. Those are things they should decide for themselves. What they need from others is the objective parts.

I think people are fine with subjective views based on objective reasoning. As long as they can relate to the person's opinion and can understand the logic behind their opinions then the point of view suddenly has more merit. Just because something subjective doesn't make it useless information. If that were the case, people wouldn't read critic reviews, etc (which often are not objective in every right).

Also, to assume I'm telling others what to think is just stupid. Where have I said that anyone with a differing opinion than mine is wrong? Where am I forcing my opinion down people's throats? You are taking this way farther than it needs to be by suggesting I am imposing my opinions on others.

Right, but you don't know what other peoples pad preference is and the fact that you like one over the other has no value to anyone other than you. Only each indivual person knows their own preferences and they can factor them into their decision by themselves. What they need from reviews and comparisons is the objective parts, the subjective parts and how much each weights is for them to fill out on their own.

I am not presuming to know anyone's preference. You're the one assuming that my preference doesn't matter just because you don't seem to care about my "subjective" opinions and statements. Do you think I can't comment on how a game just feels better with X pad vs Y pad, because of A, B and C factors just because it's preference? I don't believe that's the case.

not:

Here's the quote again "...so they can weight it themselves along with their own subjective opinions..."

Here's another one "I'm not saying that (simple statistics) should be the ONLY factor in their decision."

Here's another one "If the person asking for the comparison has a strong preference they should absolutely factor that into their decision"

I really don't see how I could have made it any more clear. Did you even read what I wrote?

But somehow it's impossible for them to relate or digest some else's opinions? Someone can have an opinion but you've arbitrarily decided that anyone elses opinion doesn't matter to them. See what I'm saying?

The only PC mag article I could find that compares the controllers says the PS4 controller is better: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419594,00.asp

PCGamer Conclusion of the Console Controller for PC article.

I found the PCGamer article that recommends the X1 controller for PC use but this was his conclusion in that article which basically says they are both good and it's solely his personal preference comparing it to the Pepsi vs Coke situation.

Ok, that's cool that you found that for yourself. 

Conclusion

My recommendation is the Xbox One controller

http://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-one-controller-vs-dualshock-4-which-is-better-for-pc-gaming/

Conclusion

We applaud the DualShock 4

• 3 weeks later...
I have do some researches on the web and I found this post quite informative, it really does help me make a choice between PS4 and Xbox One. I would say you should get the one that fits your need. They offer different exclusive games, so be sure to check out which console can support your games.

I have do some researches on the web and I found this post quite informative, it really does help me make a choice between PS4 and Xbox One. I would say you should get the one that fits your need. They offer different exclusive games, so be sure to check out which console can support your games.

Cyberlake the exclusives list on that review is incorrect, PvZ Garden Warfare isn't a Xbox One exclusive and its missing many PS4 exclusives on the list including previously Game of the Year 'The Last of Us'.

It also lists games which are not out yet on both consoles and includes indies for X1. Maybe they did that to make the exclusives look about even but realistically the PS4 has much more exclusives than the Xbox One and that is before you include the indie exclusives on the PS4.

But otherwise a fairly good well-rounded comparison. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great comparison. The Xbox One looks pretty darn good there and has the better exclusive line up. But you can't go wrong with either, which is why I got both.

They are crap the opticals go out after 5 months, the thing overheats and shuts down, the thing locks up, hard drives fail, the worst hardware is in those things.

I told him he could have gotten a good gaming PC and a car for the money he's thrown away on those things!!!

Man, and here I still have my launch day 360 working perfectly :huh: how did I get so lucky