How's the battery life on the iPhone 6?

I'm upgrading my Lumia 920 to an iPhone 6. My 920's battery life hasn't been great. Initially, I was feeling pretty good about getting a 6, but then I found some articles claiming the 6's battery life isn't stellar and its crap compared to the 6 plus. My 920 has a bigger battery compared to the 6, so this also troubles me.

Are you all getting decent performance from the battery on the 6? I do a lot of web browsing and use GPS frequently.

If you want good battery life, go with the iPhone 6 Plus. It really comes down to your usage. I charge my iPhone 6 Plus every 1-2 days. I check email, visit many websites, watch a few YouTube videos once in while, and listen to music over Bluetooth on my way to and from work. On my old iPhone 5s I would have to charge during the day, never making it through a full day without a charge. My wife on the other hand charges her iPhone 6 every 2-3 days but she is not a heavy user. Finally, welcome to the club!

Iphone 6+ has the better and bigger battery, and lasts about 10 hours heavy usage. (videos, music, web browsing)
A friend of mine has the iphone 6 and gets about 8 hours doing the same.

I'm upgrading my Lumia 920 to an iPhone 6. My 920's battery life hasn't been great. Initially, I was feeling pretty good about getting a 6, but then I found some articles claiming the 6's battery life isn't stellar and its crap compared to the 6 plus. My 920 has a bigger battery compared to the 6, so this also troubles me.

Are you all getting decent performance from the battery on the 6? I do a lot of web browsing and use GPS frequently.

Depends on how much you use on the phone... if you use your phone alot, then the battery can be drained more than you think..  If you are a heavy user, then you will drain the battery within a few hours instead of a day or two.

If you are not in mood to charge the phone every a few hours or every day, then it's time for you to get a new phone (such as Samsung) with removal back over which you can swap the battery.

Yeah, I personally don't classify myself as a heavy user. It seems like I have a talent for sucking the life from a smartphone battery.

I was going to get a plus, but I run and the plus is just so damn big. Lifeproof doesn't have a case ready for it, either. I sweat like Ballmer in a Google restroom so water resistance is a must.

I usually get about 24-36 hours of usage depending on how heavy I use it. On the heaviest of use, I get a day of battery life. I typically charge at night, if I'm less than 30%, otherwise, I leave it. 

On days I use it less, I get about 1.5 days out of it, which I consider to be great. On these types of days, I usually end the day with about 50-60% battery life.

I would love the bigger capacity of the 6+, but that phone is bigger than I'd like. 

water resistance is a must.

Samsung phones such as S5 Sport from Sprint or S5 Active from AT&T is water resistant.

Other phones such as iphone or other phone that is not water resistant, then get a case, something like this.

Samsung phones such as S5 Sport from Sprint or S5 Active from AT&T is water resistant.

Other phones such as iphone or other phone that is not water resistant, then get a case, something like this.

Any of the normal Galaxy S5's are also IP67 certified dust & water resistant. Having said that, sweat isn't going to kill a phone. I'd definitely put a case on the iPhone 6/6+, but if you're truly worried, you can get something like this to protect the ports.

Thats actually the case I have coming for it. It made me a little sick to pay $85 for it though :(

iPhone battery life is something that people try to quantify easily, and it's only rarely, in very special cases, able to be measured with precision.

However, before we go into it, I'll say the battery is pretty awesome, and generally always has been.

What people need to understand is general connectivity issues and services that have direct impact on battery life.  For example, when my family took a recent vacation, the battery life went to hell.  Why?  It was struggling to get signal in airports, hotels, etc.  This isn't a bad thing, it's just what the phone does in order to stay connected.  The better the signal is to your phone, the less juice is used overall.  Also having ancillary services on like bluetooth, Wifi, Location services, etc, will all have a hit on battery life.

For giggles I put my phone in airplane mode (basically turns it into an ipod) and turned on a 2.5 hour movie with headphones (90% volume - was simulating volume needed for a plane flight) and watched the consumption.  8% consumed at the end.  So even being generous and rounding up, I could watch 25 hours of video, if that's all I was doing -- and that's a key point as well.  Any additional interaction (stopping to play apps, for example) could take a further hit.

The key point I'm making here is the numerics on the Apple site for how long you can use the device playing music, video, etc is actually pretty conservative, provided that's quite literally all you're doing.

I'd be happy to do more tests for any curious -- like for example how well it performs while on cell networks, etc -- but that's kind of where we get into the subjective elements.  My cell connection might be better than yours, and as such draw less or more battery.  I prefer to stick to the scientific and reproducible bits, but in that light, the iphone really shines in my opinion.

I have the normal iPhone 6.. I get about 3 days casual use, 1 day heavy use..

I've never had an iPhone, of any generation, not make it from am to bed time when I plug it back in. Now if you sit and play an intensive game for 8hrs, well that's likely another story..

So, in short, battery life isn't an issue for all but extreme edge cases.

Thanks guys. I feel a bit better now. Now my only problem is that I got a crap load of music to re-rip from wma to mp3 format. I guess I was going to have to do it sooner or later......

Thanks guys. I feel a bit better now. Now my only problem is that I got a crap load of music to re-rip from wma to mp3 format. I guess I was going to have to do it sooner or later......

Itunes auto converted all my lossless wma's to its m4a format after i imported my music collection. So, you should be fine there.

Im super happy with my iphone 6 plus. Battery hasnt ran down once. gotten close after not charging it for days though.

My iphone 5 would be dead after a few hours of use, it'd seem.

Itunes auto converted all my lossless wma's to its m4a format after i imported my music collection. So, you should be fine there.

Im super happy with my iphone 6 plus. Battery hasnt ran down once. gotten close after not charging it for days though.

My iphone 5 would be dead after a few hours of use, it'd seem.

That's strange cause I had some wma files in the iTunes directory and it hasn't added them nor offered to convert them.

That's strange cause I had some wma files in the iTunes directory and it hasn't added them nor offered to convert them.

Try dragging them or the folders containing them into itunes.

I always just dragged "My Music" folder into itunes to import.

Just tested to make sure its still possible:

0Hl.png

Just be sure to go into itunes preferences and increase the quality of the import settings. Default is only like 128kbps.

Try dragging them or the folders containing them into itunes.

I always just dragged "My Music" folder into itunes to import.

Just tested to make sure its still possible:

0Hl.png

Just be sure to go into itunes preferences and increase the quality of the import settings. Default is only like 128kbps.

I'll give that a shot, thanks. BTW, does iTunes auto monitor the music directory and add new music on its own? Years ago, it didn't.

I'll give that a shot, thanks. BTW, does iTunes auto monitor the music directory and add new music on its own? Years ago, it didn't.

I don't think it does. I have to add all my music manually.

I think it only auto adds music you buy/download from itunes store.

Damn. You would think that would be a basic feature by now.

I agree.

What annoys me the most is having to manually remove songs that I deleted off my pc.

luckily there are CMD scripts out there that can do that.

edit:

found this

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/7739/itunes-10-automatically-add-new-media-to-your-itunes-library/

but not sure how that works. I always keep my itunes folder separate from my music, maybe thats why its never auto imported.

I went from a 4 to a 6. With the 4 I'd be lucky to get a days use, sometimes having to charge during the day. With the same usage o the 6, I last all day, perhaps even 1.5 - 2 days, dont know as I charge every night, gotten to be a habit now.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn. You would think that would be a basic feature by now.

iTunes monitors a folder within the iTunes directory but you can't add other folders. If you just put your music in that add to iTunes folder it will do the rest for you though.