Scarlett Johansson will star in the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie

18 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

You'll never hear that kind of PC garbage from me. Characters should be portrayed by people of the ethnicity the character is MEANT to be.

Otherwise you'll end up with things like Harry Potter's Hagrid being played by a 3 foot tall female midget...

I don't disagree. But as far as Ghost in the Shell and Motoko Kusanagi are concerned there is precedent for her changing her appearance. She goes from an adult female to a child female and back, downloads her "ghost" into other robots and takes them over and uses them as her extended body and so on. It's not that far a stretch that she can change her facial features and skin tone.

And that all takes into consideration that she is actually Japanese when as far as I know they never said she's actually asian. Just that her home is in Japan. I could be wrong about all of that though, I haven't watched the anime or read any of the manga in a long time. But I've always thought of her as having no real ethnicity. She's a cyborg after all.

As for the Dark Tower and James Bond? Those are definitely established characters and shouldn't be changed. And specifically with Roland there are parts of the story where the color of his skin does matter. I guess they'll just have to cut that out of the movie(s) and it'll be worse off for doing so because I don't see how else they could handle it.

Edited by trag3dy

12 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

You'll never hear that kind of PC garbage from me. Characters should be portrayed by people of the ethnicity the character is MEANT to be.

Otherwise you'll end up with things like Harry Potter's Hagrid being played by a 3 foot tall female midget...

Not sure how that applies to a contemporary character like Bond that reflects the current world/society though. 

As for Dark tower. you won't even get 1/10 of the bokos in the movie(s) so they'll probably just cut it, and it won't affect the movie adaption at all in that case. 

There are cases where it matters and cases where it doesn't. as far as the Major goes.. eh, I dunno I've never thought of her and ost of the team as japanese anyway, even if they are in japan... they are all either ethnically ambiguos or appear white to start with, like the big guy, Batou,  he doesn't look terribly japanese. The only "main" character that looks japanese seems to be Aramaki and the dude in dark. 

Also I heard the movie will be using japanese companies for the "evil" corporations. so if they set it in New york and then go all jap for the bad guys... eh.. I mean if the story is that they came over from japan to help out, I guess it makes sense storywise to soem degree, but it seems a bit forced...

9 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Not sure how that applies to a contemporary character like Bond that reflects the current world/society though. 

As for Dark tower. you won't even get 1/10 of the bokos in the movie(s) so they'll probably just cut it, and it won't affect the movie adaption at all in that case. 

There are cases where it matters and cases where it doesn't. as far as the Major goes.. eh, I dunno I've never thought of her and ost of the team as japanese anyway, even if they are in japan... they are all either ethnically ambiguos or appear white to start with, like the big guy, Batou,  he doesn't look terribly japanese. The only "main" character that looks japanese seems to be Aramaki and the dude in dark. 

Also I heard the movie will be using japanese companies for the "evil" corporations. so if they set it in New york and then go all jap for the bad guys... eh.. I mean if the story is that they came over from japan to help out, I guess it makes sense storywise to soem degree, but it seems a bit forced...

Aramaki is actually being played by a Japanese guy. So there is that. I wonder if they'll give him the crazy hair in the movie?

The only movie I recognize him from is Battle Royal.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001429/?ref_=tt_cl_t6

It occurs to me that they might not even base the movie off the books. They could base it off the comic books. Which are a prequel of sorts though I don't know if Steven King considers them cannon or not. Anyways that's a discussion for a different thread.

Edited by trag3dy

14 hours ago, Scirwode said:

Quick edit in Photoshop to add more purple and brown eyes.

Motoko-Fixed.png

Scirwode

She wasn't purple in original. She was made purple and blue in quite crappy anime series - SC and Arise.

They can play her off as being "white" by switching to a body type like that to blend in, specially if the movie is going to take place in the US, probably NYC.   The script and the GitS world lets you play with things this way anyways,  and besides, names aside, anime/manga characters don't look Asian to me, not most of them.  Heck, the times they do look more Asian it's when they're Chinese characters etc,   Motoko doesn't look any more Asian in the original movie or the anime tv series IMO.  

And besides, the Attack on Titan live action movies had all Japanese actors/actresses when the source manga/anime clearly has a good deal of other ethnicities, I don't hear anyone complaining about that, but I guess if it's not Hollywood doing it then it's ok.  At the end of the day the studio needed someone to sell the movie, ScarJo can at this point in time, no Asian actress could, sad truth of the matter.

19 minutes ago, coth said:

Arise was crap. Stylistics and design oriented on 10-13 year old kids. So as SC. Nothing close to good that was original anime movie.

There's this funny thing about opinions..

Don't get me wrong very little compares to the original movie but SC and Arise are not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

2 hours ago, coth said:

She wasn't purple in original. She was made purple and blue in quite crappy anime series - SC and Arise.

True, and since this is the laughing man incident it is SAC so she should have purple hair. Though I don't agree that SAC was crappy, thought it was quite good. Haven't seen arise as of yet.

4 hours ago, n_K said:

True, and since this is the laughing man incident it is SAC so she should have purple hair. Though I don't agree that SAC was crappy, thought it was quite good. Haven't seen arise as of yet.

Heck, the movie that's a sequel to the two SAC series is better then the 2nd movie that's a sequel to the original movie, god that GitS innocence is so bad, it just has nice eye candy.

4 minutes ago, George P said:

Heck, the movie that's a sequel to the two SAC series is better then the 2nd movie that's a sequel to the original movie, god that GitS innocence is so bad, it just has nice eye candy.

Agreed, the GitS 2 was dire.

Though I'm not sure what happened, I watched a GitS film (not 1 or 2) and they'd changed all the voice actors? Not really sure why. I know they did in arise too but this was before arise.

8 minutes ago, n_K said:

Agreed, the GitS 2 was dire.

Though I'm not sure what happened, I watched a GitS film (not 1 or 2) and they'd changed all the voice actors? Not really sure why. I know they did in arise too but this was before arise.

I don't know, it's been a while so I can't remember voices.   I'd have to go back and watch again, I never finished watching all of Arise though, so I don't know.

2 hours ago, DocM said:

Didn't see Under The Skin?

That's not the level of nudity some in here had in mind. 

I also seem to remember that they used a body double for that movie. 

Edit  I stand corrected,  it wasn't a body double,  good for her.  Still I don't expect any real nudity in ghost in the Shell. 

• 5 months later...

I dunno, could go either way. it doesn't directly look bad, but it's not enough to give a good judgment. Scarlett seems a bit stiff though, but then again, she's supposed to be. 

Need a full trailer at least, but I'm willing to give the movie a go in the end, and all this talk about her casting is silly.    I'll probably end up seeing it regardless, the standard for me is still the original movie.  

• 2 weeks later...

No talk about how it's racist and cultural appropriation for a white women to play the Major in here?

Anyways, those teasers don't do much for me, good or bad. I will say though that I'm not getting a Ghost in the Shell vibe from them but maybe that'll change after we see a full trailer.

5 hours ago, trag3dy said:

No talk about how it's racist and cultural appropriation for a white women to play the Major in here?

Anyways, those teasers don't do much for me, good or bad. I will say though that I'm not getting a Ghost in the Shell vibe from them but maybe that'll change after we see a full trailer.

it's been done to death already.

besides that, the movie is set in the US, and if you know GiTS and the Major, you know it actually makes sense that she's "white" in this movie. 

How can you say it doesn't give you a GitS vibe when a number of those teasers show you scenes lifted right from the original movie and even a few things from the first stand alone complex tv series.   The teaser of her in her "apartment" is almost exactly how it looks in the original movie.  

• 5 weeks later...