Microsoft abandons Blinx trademark

Microsoft has abandoned its trademark for Blinx, the time-sweeping cat who first appeared on the original Xbox.

Initially positioned as Microsoft's rival to Mario and Crash Bandicoot, the Xbox mascot appeared in two games that saw players taking control of time while armed with a vacuum cleaner.

The original game, which released in late 2002, was touted as only being possible on Xbox thanks to the console's built-in hard drive. A sequel arrived two years later.

But after a 10 year break it seems that Microsoft has finally laid Blinx to rest, having cancelled the trademark on December 26.

The dream for a third game, it seems, is finally hoover.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_abandons_blinx_trademark.html

The first one was one of my favourite Xbox exclusives.

^ And I just love the music in the trailer.

Initially positioned as Microsoft's rival to Mario and Crash Bandicoot, the Xbox mascot appeared in two games that saw players taking control of time while armed with a vacuum cleaner.

Must have failed pretty bad because I have honestly never heard of Blinx.

The dream for a third game, it seems, is finally hoover.

url-17.gif

• Like 3

Unlikely. They'd have to renew the trademark to do so. Not abandon it :p

Ah ha! That's what they want us to think! It's all a clever ruse! Blinx reboot confirmed!

I'm surprised people never heard of Blinx. The game was marketed as a Mario killer and failed to deliver on a scale that will never be seen again in the history and mankind.

• Like 1

I'm surprised people never heard of Blinx. The game was marketed as a Mario killer and failed to deliver on a scale that will never be seen again in the history and mankind.

You're suggesting we should know it because it was such a notorious failure? I honestly have never heard of it.

Maybe people remember an exaggerated version of the claims made. Like Blur was marketed as a more mature version of Mario Kart. 

Unlikely. They'd have to renew the trademark to do so. Not abandon it :p

lol true, I felt like MS could of injected some new life into the IP and reboot the series, maybe animal mascots are losing their luster that they've once had in the 90s..

You're suggesting we should know it because it was such a notorious failure? I honestly have never heard of it.

No you should know it because it was marketed as a mario killer. Honestly it was a very big game for the xbox. People talked about it a lot back in the days.

"Blinx: The Time Sweeper is one of Microsoft's most touted games of the season, a 3D platformer exclusively for the Xbox that's intended to give the system a mascot much like Nintendo had in Mario, Sega had in Sonic, and Sony had in Crash."

Written by Greg Kasavin a guy who knew his ****.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/blinx-the-time-sweeper-review/1900-2882485/

• 4 weeks later...

Well clearly it wasn't marketed well, as I've never heard of it and was an avid gamer back then (as I am today).

Well clearly it wasn't marketed well, as I've never heard of it and was an avid gamer back then (as I am today).

Well it failed ;)

But this is what MS wanted to do with the franchise when they made a deal with Naoto Ohshima a former member of Sonic Team and designer for Sonic games.

I'm really surprised you did not hear about it. It was hyped to death on IGN and Gamespot boards by XBox fans.

Like everyone else almost. 

Never heard of it.

Quantum Break: The game is played from a cover-based third-person perspective, with time manipulation powers

It seems to be the new Blinx, so no need for the old IP.

• 4 years later...

I grew up with the blinx series. Here are the images i have. I own both Blinx games for the original xbox. I also cherished the game series so i don't know why they dropped the series because blinx 3 was being made.

images (3).jpeg

download (5).jpeg

images (2).jpeg

images (1).jpeg

download (4).jpeg

Blinx_120.jpg