Is it time for a new gaming PC?

DDR4 is just barely coming to market. DDR5 isn't even on the horizon, I'm not even sure if it's possible. One of the reasons they used 1, 2, 3, & 4 had to do with the number of times the CPU could poll the memory during a clock cycle. With DDR4 you hit the final unpolled part of the cycle. Someone please correct me if that's wrong though.

If he were to upgrade his CPU he'd have to upgrade the motherboard as well. 

i'm fairly confident that's not correct.

Double Data Rate means that data can be accessed on both the rising and falling clock cycle. This is where they got DDR. Even though the RAM is running at, say, 800MHz, it appears to be 1600MHz. The group that makes the RAM (whatever it's called) just stuck w/ the nomenclature. DDR2 must be better than DDR, right? and so on...

Havent heard back from the OP... disappeared and there's 2 pages of input!

I'd like to know if he has a budget. That system, while old, will still hold up in modern games. If there's no budget, then i'd simply suggest overclocking that CPU. I used to have that one; it's super easy to overclock.

I would say give it a little overclock if you are noticing performance issues and save up for Broadwell/Skylake.

To those who will say "Well, why wait? Technology is constantly evolving", that's very true, but Broadwell was delayed and Skylate is still on target for the Q3 2015.  I would say he should definitely wait at this stage and get an SSD and use that in a new build later this year.

To anyone who says SSD's aren't worth it.  Op, please understand that SSD's are the single biggest and noticeable upgrade you can do to a computer.  It's not all about how fast it can load up levels in the game or starts up Photoshop etc it makes the whole system more responsive as the CPU isn't waiting as long to get data off an hard drive.

The hard drive is the single slowest point in a computer and affects the whole performance of the machine.

To those who will say "Well, why wait? Technology is constantly evolving", that's very true, but Broadwell was delayed and Skylate is still on target for the Q3 2015.  I would say he should definitely wait at this stage and get an SSD and use that in a new build later this year.

All latest Intel CPUs have always been "on target", until they magically delay them a few months before the planned release.

To anyone who says SSD's aren't worth it.  Op, please understand that SSD's are the single biggest and noticeable upgrade you can do to a computer.  It's not all about how fast it can load up levels in the game or starts up Photoshop etc it makes the whole system more responsive as the CPU isn't waiting as long to get data off an hard drive.

The hard drive is the single slowest point in a computer and affects the whole performance of the machine.

I said that SSDs weren't worth it in my case, since the large ones are still expensive and I have hundreds of GBs of dev software installed (but it would be the same if I worked with HD videos or installed the latest AAA games that waste tons of gigabytes). And it was in answer to a comment that said something on the lines of "anybody who doesn't use them clearly hasn't used them". If my machine is never turned off, most of the stuff stays cached in RAM and my HDD is a decently fast enterprise model then the 300

I said that SSDs weren't worth it in my case, since the large ones are still expensive and I have hundreds of GBs of dev software installed (but it would be the same if I worked with HD videos or installed the latest AAA games that waste tons of gigabytes). And it was in answer to a comment that said something on the lines of "anybody who doesn't use them clearly hasn't used them". If my machine is never turned off, most of the stuff stays cached in RAM and my HDD is a decently fast enterprise model then the 300

Using SSD as your windows install drive is a MUST.   it is just so much better.   i also like to use SSD for torrents and for game installs.     everything else goes on regular cheap hdd (any data, movies, music, work)

Edit: I'm playing at 1920x1200 Resolution, I won't ever switch to 4K because I do not need a larger monitor than 24 inches.

What does resolution have to do with size? you may say so now, but even if you never get a bigger monitor, you will eventually get a 4k monitor, maybe not in the next two years, but it'll happen. 

Using SSD as your windows install drive is a MUST.   it is just so much better.   i also like to use SSD for torrents and for game installs.     everything else goes on regular cheap hdd (any data, movies, music, work)

Game installs I can understand, well a few of them, not all certainly but moving 1 or 2 that is heavily depended on HDD loading(this generally only applies to MMO's who stream load, but also some other large seamless game area games, games with loading screens I'm less bothered about) but Torrents ? why ?

But Torrents, Why?

I had a mechanical hard drives fail every year with my torrents. I seed a lot. I have had a dedicated SSD for seeding for 2 years.. no problem so far.  so i like SSD

• Like 2

I had a mechanical hard drives fail every year with my torrents. I seed a lot. I have had a dedicated SSD for seeding for 2 years.. no problem so far.  so i like SSD

Get better HDD's. HDD's can run for years seeding and downloading torrents without failing. even cheap crap ones. your failures are most likely bad luck and not related to the type of drive, could just as well have been a SSD. 

I got two 250GB Samsung EVO 840's for $120 each. I think that's quite reasonable. They are now in a RAID 0, which gives me ~500GB of SSD space for $240...at nearly double the speed of a single SSD.

You lose TRIM in RAID0, which is something to be careful with.  Also, if the RAID breaks, then everything is gone on both drives (obviously).  I had SSDs in RAID0 at one point, and it just wasn't worth it for those reasons.  The transfer speeds were neat to see on benchmarks, but it didn't really amount to anything actually valuable.

Regardless, today it's to the point where it's actually cheaper to buy one 500GB SSD over two 240GB ones.

You lose TRIM in RAID0, which is something to be careful with.  Also, if the RAID breaks, then everything is gone on both drives (obviously).  I had SSDs in RAID0 at one point, and it just wasn't worth it for those reasons.  The transfer speeds were neat to see on benchmarks, but it didn't really amount to anything actually valuable.

Regardless, today it's to the point where it's actually cheaper to buy one 500GB SSD over two 240GB ones.

Astra, you do not lose Trim with Raid 0 anymore. Intel has supported Trim in Raid zero since the series 7 chipsets. If you have a series 7 or higher, it supports trim. I have verified this with trimcheck: http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/trimcheck-does-your-ssd-really-have-trim-working/.

You are correct about the lack of protection but this is the same level of risk as a solo drive, if a drive dies you los everything. That's what Macrium Reflect free edition and File History is for ;>. At 1GBs R/W I say go for it!

Get better HDD's. HDD's can run for years seeding and downloading torrents without failing. even cheap crap ones. your failures are most likely bad luck and not related to the type of drive, could just as well have been a SSD. 

not true, i was already buying enterprise level hdd... still they failed.   cannot be a coincidence, since having failures all the time, to no problem, immediately after i switched to SSD.

i have to say i have fiber optics, so the speed are uncannily fast.... mechanical drives just do not handle it.

not true, i was already buying enterprise level hdd... still they failed.   cannot be a coincidence, since having failures all the time, to no problem, immediately after i switched to SSD.

i have to say i have fiber optics, so the speed are uncannily fast.... mechanical drives just do not handle it.

of course it can be coincidence, your sample pool is 2 HDDs, it could be 6 and still be coincidence.

buying enterprise is no guarantee against random failures, and depending on brand... (cough Seagate cough). heck I have a samplerate several times that that says HDDs can withstand constant read/write of gigabytes a week and other abuse in a hot httpc case full of dust and they wont ever fail :p

fiber optic what though? internet ? unless you're in Japan the HDD is still faster ;p

of course it

fiber optic what though? internet ? unless you're in Japan the HDD is still faster ;p

you joke?    the internet is faster then 20 MG per sec

OP I will just say that most of your gear looks to be fine but here is the reality of things:

The fastest gains you will see are from getting an SSD even as a secondary drive. Put your games on that drive. The next bottleneck in gaming comes from your video card. And finally the last one comes from RAM.

My suggest is to buy a 128 GB SAMSUNG EVO 840 and put your games on that. Next switch out your RAM and get 2 8GB paired chips, the speed is not really that relevant, just make sure its compatible with your motherboard. Finally get a new video card. The Nvidia GTX 9XX series are pretty damn good and they have a really good price to performance ratio.

Astra, you do not lose Trim with Raid 0 anymore. Intel has supported Trim in Raid zero since the series 7 chipsets. If you have a series 7 or higher, it supports trim. I have verified this with trimcheck: http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/trimcheck-does-your-ssd-really-have-trim-working/.

You are correct about the lack of protection but this is the same level of risk as a solo drive, if a drive dies you los everything. That's what Macrium Reflect free edition and File History is for ;>. At 1GBs R/W I say go for it!

I had two vertex drives in stripe raid and noticed essentially no benefit over having the drives in just normal non-raid configuration. This is because you can really only take advantage of the 1gbps read/write speed when its sequential and for gaming purposes that's not really all that beneficial. However if you want to make yourself an SQL server, it might have some drastic benefits.

OP I will just say that most of your gear looks to be fine but here is the reality of things:

The fastest gains you will see are from getting an SSD even as a secondary drive. Put your games on that drive. The next bottleneck in gaming comes from your video card. And finally the last one comes from RAM.

My suggest is to buy a 128 GB SAMSUNG EVO 840 and put your games on that. Next switch out your RAM and get 2 8GB paired chips, the speed is not really that relevant, just make sure its compatible with your motherboard. Finally get a new video card. The Nvidia GTX 9XX series are pretty damn good and they have a really good price to performance ratio.

I had two vertex drives in stripe raid and noticed essentially no benefit over having the drives in just normal non-raid configuration. This is because you can really only take advantage of the 1gbps read/write speed when its sequential and for gaming purposes that's not really all that beneficial. However if you want to make yourself an SQL server, it might have some drastic benefits.

I agree with that. In fact, one game I had to remove from the SSD array. Things were jumping on screen out of nowhere. it seemed as though loading was out of sync. UE3. Putting it on a single SSD resolved the issue.

But the difference even over an SSD is quite noticeable in app load times and particularly loading large images into Photoshop. I don't do much video edition but I would imagine that would be a huge application that would gain great benefit. If it reads from disk, you will notice the difference, it is however, not as significant as the move from physical HD to SSD.

This is because you can really only take advantage of the 1gbps read/write speed when its sequential and for gaming purposes that's not really all that beneficial.

Just wanted to clarify, two high quality SSDs in Raid 0 will give you 1GBytess transfer speed using two 6Gbs channels in parallel.

I'd wait until DX12 native cards come out. Things won't be that demanding for a while, since so many game are coded for the consoles.

I'd wait until DX12 native cards come out. Things won't be that demanding for a while, since so many game are coded for the consoles.

Are the GTX970-980 cards native DX12 cards? The nvidia website says yes but it seems way too early.

you joke?    the internet is faster then 20 MG per sec

What ?

assuming you meant MB, what HDD's did you use? ancient stuff ?

a WB Red(which aren't the faster, but supposedly more reliable and designed for NAS) has 600MBps transfer speed external and 150MBps transfer speed internal. 

What ?

assuming you meant MB, what HDD's did you use? ancient stuff ?

typo.  i meant my download and upload speed were reaching 20MB/s and the Torrent program continuesly complained about HHD overload. Only throttled to about 12MB/s i stopped getting the message.

since it was torrents it was not a continuous read - but random read and writes from a lot of places on the drive at ones. 

The enterprise harddrives lasted longer,   yet i had 6 harddrive fail (4 consumer and 2 enterprise) over 3 maybe 3.5  years.  and computer is top of the line pc, with good cooling, so this could not have being an issue.

in next 2 years, my SSD is holding up well so far under the same conditions, so i trust them more.  :)    i could be very unlucky with mechanical drives, and 6 drives in 3 years?   each on what a brand new current WD drive as i had problems with seagate over the years.    hmmm.. what are the chances :(