Giving Linux another try

Running mint 17.1 w/ KACE in VMWare

I would like to be able to use the forward and backward side buttons on my Logitech Performance MX

Is there a way to do this ?

No help from Logitech apparently:
post-508501-0-04523500-1420692549.jpg

I did the Software Manager thing and didnt see anything that would help.

I dont think this is a VMWare thing as I am running win10 in VMWare as well - and of course there is no problem there...

Thanks

I've had no issues with my Logitech G602 with a Linux guest in VMWare -- as long as I added the following to the VM's .vmx configuration. If I didn't, I had a basic three button mouse as far as the VM was concerned, the extra buttons wouldn't get passed through, regardless of the guest additions. 

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.useBasicMouse = "FALSE"
usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"

I've had no issues with my Logitech G602 with a Linux guest in VMWare -- as long as I added the following to the VM's .vmx configuration. If I didn't, I had a basic three button mouse as far as the VM was concerned, the extra buttons wouldn't get passed through, regardless of the guest additions. 

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
mouse.vusb.useBasicMouse = "FALSE"
usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"

OK thanks, gonna try it out

So after adding these items, you were able to use all your buttons ?

Forwards and backwards yes, plus the other buttons I have programmed to particular keystrokes. Obviously those have to be set on a Windows box, as far as I know you can't reprogram it from a *Nix system, could be mistaken though.  My old mouse (a RAT 5) on the other hand took a fair bit of fiddling with the xorg.conf file to get working right, not sure if that still applies anymore though, was a year or so ago.

If anything just make a backup of the .vmx before you edit it, just in case. Any text editor will do, toss those three lines at the end, restart VMWare and fire up the machine, should notice the other buttons working immediately.

OK - that got it working - thank you!!

Next question - how did you know that was what needed to be done, and what exactly to add ?

Just curious if you had to look it up somewhere a while back, or if you cooked it up.

Thanks Again

Next question - how did you know that was what needed to be done, and what exactly to add ?

Years and years of practice and fiddling.  And when the wife isn't looking, Google.  (Ruins the know-it-all rep if she sees me looking stuff up.)  Took a while to find though, they should put that in their FAQ, kind of an obvious thing that a lot of people will probably run into. Myself included a couple years back heh, I keep little tidbits like that in OneNote, just in case.

• Like 3

Linux has long detected Logitech mouse buttons. The only thing you need to do is map those extra buttons to custom actions via xev and xbindkeys or similar utilities.

Linux has long detected Logitech mouse buttons. The only thing you need to do is map those extra buttons to custom actions via xev and xbindkeys or similar utilities.

It wasnt a Linux issue, but thanks.

OK, now that is done, and I have finished tweaking a lot of the appearance stuff I hated in mint MATE - I am looking for a simple screenshot app, like Snipping Tool - dont care about a ton of options, and editing tools

I have installed Shutter, but it is a little clumsy, takes too many clicks 

I looked through the site and didnt see a "best of apps" for linux - at least one that was updated in the last year or so.

Thanks

OK, now that is done, and I have finished tweaking a lot of the appearance stuff I hated in mint MATE - I am looking for a simple screenshot app, like Snipping Tool - dont care about a ton of options, and editing tools

I looked through the site and didnt see a "best of apps" for linux - at least one that was updated in the last year or so.

Thanks

Wouldn`t Accecsories -> Screenshot -> Choose whole screen / active windows / Area to grab suffice?

Thanks

Ksnapshot is by far the best screenshot plugin especially if you additionally pimp it up with the kipi plugins. 

Wouldn`t Accecsories -> Screenshot -> Choose whole screen / active windows / Area to grab suffice?

Doesnt sounds very streamlined... but I'll check it out.

In Win7 I have the snipping tool in my launch bar @ that bottom - 1-2 clicks & done

Its something like this that I am hoping for.

post-508501-0-52504900-1420861508.jpg

Jack - I dont know what kipi plugins are, but I'll check it out.

Doesnt sounds very streamlined... but I'll check it out.

In Win7 I have the snipping tool in my launch bar @ that bottom - 1-2 clicks & done

Its something like this that I am hoping for.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Jack - I dont know what kipi plugins are, but I'll check it out.

sudo apt-get install ksnapshot kipi-plugins

after installed forget about navigating through endless entries in the startmenu. you just press the print button on your keyboard and up comes a very nice interface with the screenshot already done + lots of options to send/upload your screenshots directly. i mostly use the export to imgur function.

8q6eeqH.jpg

U7n6rsC.jpg

niiiiiice !

Thanks

I wanted to give you the Solved status, but then it took away from my previous question & answer

But thank you - that is a great solution.

Now I am going to try and master WINE as I dont like the open source office apps.  ;)

You should take a look at the Wine App DB in that case. The Platinum and Gold programs generally work OOTB without major issues.

Mostly games.  Since I dont see MS Office in there (anywhere) - am I to assume that it doesnt work well ?

I think I will just continue to use Thunderbird for email - make life simpler for me.

Thanks

you could just add a shell script icon to your taskbar that has a command in it for a screenshot to be taken

so install scrot

and in a sh file put

scrot -d 5 desktop.jpeg

the 5 is the delay so adjust that to how you wish

• Like 1

Well, I scrapped the mint VM and started over.

I decided to install the VM on my SSD as opposed to the big 2TB drive because....well.... Im very impatient. ;)

So, now I am back to where I was.  Have the mouse backward/forward Logitech things fixed in VMWare, have ksnapshot installed, installed some custom themes to make the icons and stuff look a little "cooler" - and now it is pretty much a functioning OS

Thank you to everyone for your help on this.

Its illegal to watch a dvd in Linux

Thats OK - I havent watched a "DVD" in years :D

I do a lot of things that are illegal - its OK - I'll be able to sleep tonight.

I did drugs in college, drank enough to sink a battleship

I regularly drive waaaaayyyyy over the speed limit (was doing 130mph just yesterday)

I have been to Silk Road on the Deep Web

So, watching something I shouldn't - its OK.

Is it illegal to watch blu ray on my mac when i have paid for the software and on my Win 8.1 machine I have powerdvd does that make it illegal?? gees, i paid heaps then

As long as you can play them, why is any movie illegal to view?

As long as you can play them, why is any movie illegal to view?

Licensing for the DVD decryption if I remember right, it's not a freebie.  Some OS's pay for the "privilege" so it's legal out of the box. Meh, don't think anyone really needs to worry about the license police kicking in any doors though.

Licensing for the DVD decryption if I remember right, it's not a freebie.  Some OS's pay for the "privilege" so it's legal out of the box. Meh, don't think anyone really needs to worry about the license police kicking in any doors though.

Whatever....