Yet antoher noob help question

Okay so I got my grafix card a month or two ago, its okay not bad for $100 I have had all kinds of problems with it in windows :( but i was able to fix most of them.... So I Got my new Mandrake 9.2 disks, I used 9.1 before, and set off to explore the Wonders of this ambigious Operating system. Well I go to Change my Screen resolution... I dont like 1024X 760, I run 1280X1024 :cool: NORMALY... However when I applyed it, it said I had to log out and relog back it, Knowing that was the usual... I was like "Ight" So i loged out... and LOW and BEHOLD it kicks me out into the bash shell :crazy: I dont know commands yet, So I gave up and reinstalled linux... tried it againe.... thinking Linux Hicked up big time... and the same exact thing happned. So i RE install the Re-instlation of Mandrake 9.2, that is where i am now... and so i decided to go to the ATI website... I downloed the driver for it... I run Xfree86 4.3, so I downloaded the RPM for it... Well When its done I go to install it graficly, I dont know commands :( and it give me a message saying

"Installation failed:

file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.8 conflicts with file from package libxfree86-4.3-23mdk"

SO i cant update my Drivers... I was wondering

1. Has anyone have this problem with this Card... the 128MB Radeon 9200.

2. What does this error mean, I know its saying there is a confilct... but what does that confilct MEAN, if you get what i mean.

3. Can anyone help me???

I dont want to chunk Linux... because I know its the User... not the OS., Not like WIndows... which is opposite hehe, but Yeah... this is REALLY agravating... so if anyone can help... It would be most GREATLY apprecated. Thank you.

--GotoLamia--

Logging out and back in to change the resolution isn't normal. Try CTRL+ALT++ or CTRL+ALT+- (ummm... those are the number pad plus and minus). It is an instant way to increase and decrease your resolution (through what are believed to be valid resolutions). Just FYI, most resolution problems are due to incorrect RAM size selected for the video card...

Now, for your questions:

1) Sorry, I don't have that card. Did you try Googling for problems with the card. It *should* be supported. BTW, www.google.com/linux is a good way to just sort through the Linux sites. :)

2) Not knowing a lot about your config, it appears that you have XFree 4.3 and there is (for whatever reason) a problem with an incompatible file (earlier version of XFree ?) in the RPM. This seems unlikely, but possible.

3) I will try my best to help you, but you may have to do a few searches on Google. And, with any luck, someone with more experience than I will post a few suggestions.

I am glad that you wish to keep trying to get your Linux install to work. Let me say that I have NOT had any sorts of problems with installing on my machine - not that it helps you at the moment :no: But, as one relative-noob to another, it really is a good system (learning to use the shell to enter commands is really quite needed when you run into problems), but I have learned so much more about computers from learning Linux than I have ever known from using Windows since 3.11!

I'll look for your response.

Mark