Receiving texts from unknown number

New iPhone user.

Now i find that every week or so, I get an iMessage from someone who I don't know.  I guess they typed in the wrong number?

How can I stop this without turning off iMessage?

Thanks

Is it always the same person or random people? If it's random there's little you could do. If its the same person, block them or send them a message saying they've got the wrong number.

Is it always the same person or random people? If it's random there's little you could do. If its the same person, block them or send them a message saying they've got the wrong number.

+1, this is a non issue. Random or not.

Blocking them will prevent them from calling, txting or facetiming you. Settings > Phone/Messages/Facetime > Blocked > Add New...

Or simply correct them on their mistake.

Few questions...

Are the messages coming to your cell # or an associated email?

If they are coming to your cell #, did you have the same number previously, or is it completely new to you?

If it's a new #, someone else had it previously, so you are bound to get messages from people who think it is someone else.

Unless the messages are coming to an email, iMessage has little to do with it.

As others have said, just block them.

They are all iMessages.

I had one a week, but it's only since I've swapped over to an iPhone.  I didn't get any texts before hand, perhaps a strange coincidence.

They are all iMessages.

I had one a week, but it's only since I've swapped over to an iPhone.  I didn't get any texts before hand, perhaps a strange coincidence.

Not sure if this applies or not, but is there some sort of setting within imessage that needs looking at? Sometimes an improperly configured setting is all it takes, and someone looking for someone else could be accidentally contacting you by mistake.

(Please note, I do not know this for certain, but I have made similar mistakes when trying to set up sync and other services to phones)