Bought a new external HDD

So the title says it all. Picked up a WD Ultra Portable 2TB for $98 today to use with my XB1 and I have a question. Can I also store my movies on the drive and stream them from there? Thanks!

Should do. Although .mkv files aren't supported.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/media-player-faq#eaf778c4d6f54b789e6e55e8e447231e

Portable drives aren't ideal for storing games because they're powered by the USB port not an AC apadter.

MKV is supported.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/xbox-video/mkv-support

External usb3 drive can be faster than internal

http://gearnuke.com/xbox-one-external-hdd-load-times-comparison-show-close-50-improvement/

Didn't know about MKV being 'supported'. I wouldn't use usb powered HDDs for gaming.

MKV container feature support

MKV container features are supported on Xbox One in the following ways:

If one or more video tracks are present, the first track will be played.
If one or more audio tracks are present, the first track will be played.
If one or more captions tracks are present, the captions will not render, but the file will load and play.
If one or more fonts or images are present, captions and images will not render, although the file will load and play.
Menu information is not supported and will not be displayed, but the file will load and play.
Chapter information is not supported, but the file will load and play.
If files with chapters refer to supplemental files, the supplemental files will not play.
Thumbnail images are available when browsing for files on USB drives using the file browser.
This set of features should allow playback of most MKV files if they contain supported codecs.

It kind of renders the point of .mkv pointless, but at least they play.

It will work just fine. It will likely be about as fast as the internal disk given the external is likely a 5400rpm disk.

Powered drives are better due to faster spindle speeds and thus transfer rates.

With regards to media, I believe you can store it on the disk, but there's no way plex media server will be able to see content on the disk unless it's connected to the computer running the server. You will be able to watch content directly off the disk though with the media app on the XBone.

It will work just fine. It will likely be about as fast as the internal disk given the external is likely a 5400rpm disk.

Powered drives are better due to faster spindle speeds and thus transfer rates.

With regards to media, I believe you can store it on the disk, but there's no way plex media server will be able to see content on the disk unless it's connected to the computer running the server. You will be able to watch content directly off the disk though with the media app on the XBone.

Eh, then I'll save this one for my media center and connect it directly to my router. I'll pick up another one exclusively for my XB1 and maybe make it bigger than 2TB. Thanks so much for all the help.

Didn't know about MKV being 'supported'. I wouldn't use usb powered HDDs for gaming.

It kind of renders the point of .mkv pointless, but at least they play.

How's it pointless? It plays the first track of video and audio. As long as what ever the first track of mkv container is your native language. You'll be fine.

Bunch of sites proved that a fast usb drive, beats the internal drive.

How's it pointless? It plays the first track of video and audio. As long as what ever the first track of mkv container is your native language. You'll be fine.

Bunch of sites proved that a fast usb drive, beats the internal drive.

I thought the whole point of using mkv was because it could contain multiple streams, subtitles etc. I don't understand why consoles can't play them properly.

I don't doubt faster USB drives are better, but I wouldn't use a usb powered drive for gaming given the constant power draw and read/write to the drive. Maybe I am being overly cautious. The best option would have been to upgrade the internal drive but that option is off of the table.

I thought the whole point of using mkv was because it could contain multiple streams, subtitles etc. I don't understand why consoles can't play them properly.

I don't doubt faster USB drives are better, but I wouldn't use a usb powered drive for gaming given the constant power draw and read/write to the drive. Maybe I am being overly cautious. The best option would have been to upgrade the internal drive but that option is off of the table.

It plays the files fine and it does support subtitles.

Just because it plays the first audio track and first video track doesn't make pointless. As long as the source you download it is native to you. You'll be fine with the playback.

What is the negative effects of using usb powered drives? Having constant power draw is not a negative.

So the title says it all. Picked up a WD Ultra Portable 2TB for $98 today to use with my XB1 and I have a question. Can I also store my movies on the drive and stream them from there? Thanks!

Hi I am new here, Just wanted to mention I bought the very same drive for the very same reason.

Once I transferred all the game files over when I bought it, this were when the Update that allowed external HHD's to be used. All games stuttered during gameplay that never happened on the internal drive..

I can't say if the future updates had improved the feature but I now use a Seagate Back up E/HDD. This is a powered externally and is extremely fast and all games play as they should.

It could be worth a try out first, it could be different for you.

I was talking about having a constant and consistent supply of power to the drive.

Portable hard drives usually have poorer cooling & ventilation abilities & are pricier per GB than there 3.5" cousins. I'm not saying you can't use them, I just don't think I would. Maybe I am bias because I have had issues with external, portable (USB powered) drives in the past.

As far as the .mkv issue goes, it is good that they play, but I don't get why consoles can't allow users to choose streams or subs. Seems weird.

The best option would have been to upgrade the internal drive but that option is off of the table.

It's not off the table anymore actually. The external HDD thing isn't what I expected so I'm not even using it for the XB1 anymore.

It's not off the table anymore actually. The external HDD thing isn't what I expected so I'm not even using it for the XB1 anymore.

I beg your pardon. By "off the table" I meant that Microsoft doesn't offer the ability for the user to change the internal drive like Sony does.

You can upgrade the internal HDD of the PS4. Microsoft doesn't allow you to do the same.