Fable Legends may be free to play...

HawkMan, on 27 Feb 2015 - 08:43, said:

Then your comment makes no sense, as if you read the OP there is no nickle or diming. 

and Legends has never been a single player game, it has been a L4D in the fable universe with a sprinkling of MOBA on it since the start. so b that you would never have been interested in it...

The outcry is because it is a Microsoft game. People complain that companies keep rinsing and repeating the same game over and over. So we get a different kind of Fable as a spin off, and the same people complain. Then, people complain that MS and Xbox do not have enough (or any) F2P games. So they bring those out, and they bitch. Then finally, because this is an MS exclusive, they are going to shred the game just because it's not on another platform.

If you don't want the game, don't get it. The rest of us will be.

The outcry is because it is a Microsoft game. People complain that companies keep rinsing and repeating the same game over and over. So we get a different kind of Fable as a spin off, and the same people complain. Then, people complain that MS and Xbox do not have enough (or any) F2P games. So they bring those out, and they bitch. Then finally, because this is an MS exclusive, they are going to shred the game just because it's not on another platform.

If you don't want the game, don't get it. The rest of us will be.

Yeah, it's the world versus MS.

/s

Thanks. A much more pleasant and mature response. Some people seem to get defensive when their views or interests aren't shared.

but again, you said you had no interest in a non single player Fable, meaning you would never have been interested in the game in the first place...

Outside of Valve, F2P is never done right...

They say that Microsoft is stealing some ideas from Valve...  It says there's no P2W (Pay 2 Win).. And any $$$ given up is strictly cosmetic, or you like the character class selected (Free characters will be rotated like Killer Instinct)...

My expectations for this were never high to begin with considering I haven't like Fable since Fable II...

At least it being free allows me to fire the game up and give it a try...  If any good, I'll throw down $3-$5 to keep my rolled out character...  

Riot and blizzard might have some things to say about that.

but again, you said you had no interest in a non single player Fable, meaning you would never have been interested in the game in the first place...

Why do you care so much about what I like or don't like?

Why do you care so much about what I like or don't like?

just wondering if that was your opinion why did you even bother to post since you obviously wouldn't have cared about the game to start with...

This is just the Killer Instinct model all over again, they cycle characters and content will show up later. If you want to keep the character and not have to switch then you buy it. It's not that hard to understand, and other things you buy are for character customization. You can buy those items with real world money OR game money. That's the important thing here, you can play the whole thing without spending a single real world penny.

These knee jerk reactions to things have to settle down, get all the facts first and then we can talk about it.

The other key point here is that this game is also coming to Windows 10 with full XBL support and cross-platform play. I'd like to see them bring more titles over that work well for cross-platform play, I'm thinking KI could happen.

I don't really understand what free to play means and why people complain? (I don't usually play multiplayer only games unless it is like a MMO or something)

If it really doesn't cost anything, is that a problem?

Or do you HAVE to buy stuff to play? In that case I don't see how you can call it free to play.

Also, if you spend what you would spend on a normal game (like $50-60) on a game like this, assuming you have to buy things, would that be enough to enjoy it?

Because in many cases it looks like stuff is optional but in reality your free to play account is limited and you are gently pushed for getting items from in-game shop; these are often stuffed with some gameplay boosters, storage or character slots expansions. Of course it's also often possible to obtain store items by exchanging gold for game currency but that's almost unprofitable and you have to consider charging that fancy named shop currency (gems, diamonds, ourcompanynamed-points) with real money. Sometimes you're encouraged by game to visit shop and they'll give you small amount of currency to test how it works - that's basically a carrot on stick approach. There's another thing that you may find in free2play model: a locked container feature which is basically a mini gambling game - you can open it with key which is of course available only in shop but you had no clue what's inside. Either pretty item or poop.

why? the game has 't changed, it's just free...

I guess some people just want to pay.  The mentality that if you pay monthly the game is much better is ridiculous to me.  I judge the content of the game and not on the fact I spend for it so it must be and has to be good mentality.

Not at all. People will happily pay 60 EUR for a good game.

At least you get it.  I'm certainly not opposed to getting something for "free," but having to put up with this "rotation" and most likely micro-transaction BS, I'd rather pay to play the game in peace the way I want to.  As with anything else in life, you tend to receive better service/products if you're willing to pay.

This is just the Killer Instinct model all over again, they cycle characters and content will show up later. If you want to keep the character and not have to switch then you buy it. It's not that hard to understand, and other things you buy are for character customization. You can buy those items with real world money OR game money. That's the important thing here, you can play the whole thing without spending a single real world penny.

These knee jerk reactions to things have to settle down, get all the facts first and then we can talk about it.

I'd rather pay for a decent game outright than have my enjoyment adversely affected in the name of microtransactions. The only game I've seen get F2P right is Dota 2, which limits purchases to cosmetic items - they don't limit heroes or do anything to impact the core gameplay.

Look at Hearthstone, by Blizzard. It's a great game yet it was utterly ruined by the F2P model.

• Like 1

I'd rather pay for a decent game outright than have my enjoyment adversely affected in the name of microtransactions. The only game I've seen get F2P right is Dota 2, which limits purchases to cosmetic items - they don't limit heroes or do anything to impact the core gameplay.

Look at Hearthstone, by Blizzard. It's a great game yet it was utterly ruined by the F2P model.

Nothing they talked about is limiting the game play at all, if the character rotation is a problem then pay for that character, you'd be paying for them all if this was a full priced $60 game anyways, I see no difference here.

And the transactions aren't any different from buying items in every other RPG to date, except you can either quest to gain in game money and buy them, like always, or spend some real money and save some time. Again, nothing that hinders the game, you can play it from start to finish without paying a cent, they've said so already.

Ruined, how come?

The grind to buy card packs. I'd rather have paid for the game outright than deal with such artificial grind.

Nothing they talked about is limiting the game play at all, if the character rotation is a problem then pay for that character, you'd be paying for them all if this was a full priced $60 game anyways, I see no difference here.

It's putting characters behind a paywall and enticing users with rotating trials. It's like a crack dealer giving you a little taste to get you hooked in order to keep coming back to buy more. To buy all the characters often ends up costing substantially more than a traditional game, while the game is designed to make you feel like you're missing out on content and feel compelled to purchase it. Age Of Empires: Online was an example of that, with all the content costing several times more than a traditional AAA game.

I'd rather pay for a game outright than deal with an experience crafted around micropayments. Mobile gaming has been ruined by the freemium model and, surprisingly enough, I don't trust Microsoft to do it right with this game. For me the F2P model actually reduces the value of a game to me, often to the point where I have no interest playing it at all. When games are built around the F2P model they suffer.

This game is picking up league of legends f2p model if anything and I'm perfectly fine with that.

"There will be 4 heroes available to play at any one time, and they will rotate every 2 weeks. Then, if you want to keep playing a character, you can either wait for them to come back into rotation (with all your XP and equipment intact), or pay to unlock them permanently. You can pay either with earned in-game money or real money, and you can also pay for cosmetic items; everything gameplay-related can only be earned through play. Same goes for villain players: different villain monsters will rotate every few weeks, and you can pay to unlock them permanently."

The grind to buy card packs. I'd rather have paid for the game outright than deal with such artificial grind.

It's putting characters behind a paywall and enticing users with rotating trials. It's like a crack dealer giving you a little taste to get you hooked in order to keep coming back to buy more. To buy all the characters often ends up costing substantially more than a traditional game, while the game is designed to make you feel like you're missing out on content and feel compelled to purchase it. Age Of Empires: Online was an example of that, with all the content costing several times more than a traditional AAA game.

I'd rather pay for a game outright than deal with an experience crafted around micropayments. Mobile gaming has been ruined by the freemium model and, surprisingly enough, I don't trust Microsoft to do it right with this game. For me the F2P model actually reduces the value of a game to me, often to the point where I have no interest playing it at all. When games are built around the F2P model they suffer.

Without knowing the price of characters all we're doing is guessing here, but for a RPG where players tend to play one character till it's maxed and then decide to try another or stop playing, this model of buying the characters you want instead of paying for all of them and never using 90% of them is going to be cheaper for people. Again, all the other items can be purchased with in game money like any other RPG.

The whole "characters behind a paywall" argument is funny, how is having the game behind a $60 retail price not a paywall itself?

If you lack self control and have to pay for everything then that's a different issue to look into.

Not at all. People will happily pay 60 EUR for a good game.

People were up in arms because MS didn't support F2P last gen and now they do it and people moan. People hate IPs getting rehashed over and over so MS offers another type of first party game doing a style they haven't done before and people complain.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

People were up in arms because MS didn't support F2P last gen and now they do it and people moan. People hate IPs getting rehashed over and over so MS offers another type of first party game doing a style they haven't done before and people complain.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

They tried something different with the last Fable game and it didn't do well. I think a fair few people thought this title would be a return to previous Fable titles, minus the Molyneux lies.

So far the only thing behind the pay wall is cosmetic items.

We still don't know how the in game currency is going to work.

I saw a post saying in game money is going to be silver coins and you can spend real money on gold, guess we'll see.

They kind of made it exactly like the physical trading card games. I am not sure whether that is good or bad though.