I miss the themes from the good old msstyles (uxtheme.dll) days

I remember I started customizing Win 95 with a little utility called 3D Color Changer 3000 v.4. It offered so much more control over what "Micro$oft corrupt code" did, it was awesome! And after that I remember my jaw hitting the ground with some of Treetog's and Jafo's themes, it was mind blowing.

How mind blowing would it be if Microsoft released Windows with open theming of the UI?

No needed uxtheme.dll, or Windowsblinds required.... just open theming/skinning ability like in Linux/Unix...

One can dream...

I am curios.  Anyone here using DreamScene wallpapers?  Looped HD video as a wallpaper.

That's only for vista though

Waste of resources imo. I just like an efficient UI to get work done, not sit and stare at it. I just run full screen apps and swap between them so no need for wallpaper or shiny icon's.

Seriously

• Like 2

mods??

Windows 7 DreamScene Activator. I think DreamScene is still capable on Windows 7.  All you need to do is change a few registry... and I think that's what the "activator" was used for.

Windows 7 DreamScene Activator. I think DreamScene is still capable on Windows 7.  All you need to do is change a few registry... and I think that's what the "activator" was used for.

wierd how they did that... o_O

I created so much junk back then lol. Feels odd looking back at all the things I started making 9-10 years ago and have had as a hobby since. Time moves so fast. :/

I created so much junk back then lol. Feels odd looking back at all the things I started making 9-10 years ago and have had as a hobby since. Time moves so fast. :/

The world is going to direly need your abilities again if Windows 10 comes out as it is now.

• Like 2

The world is going to direly need your abilities again if Windows 10 comes out as it is now.

Totally. Windows 10 is looking to be a substantial step backwards in terms of visuals and we're not far from release.

I really hope Microsoft doesn't lock down custom theming. All that's needed is a warning that the theme being applied is not official. Users shouldn't have to install hacked .dlls from dubious websites.

Like many others I used to spend a lot of time in the Windows customisation forum on Neowin. I don't have a lot of screenshots from XP times left; this one was taken only a few days before I bought an iMac in January 2008:

post-1302-0-18183200-1425750695.png

• Like 2

I think my first post on Neowin was about themes and Windows XP.  I had fun with it back in the day but I think I "outgrew" it.

i FOUND neowin when i was entering something like "windows xp uxtheme styles" into lycos  :D

coming from win98SE i found xp an amazing step and things i liked was the remote control (played arround with a friend there), the new startmenu and that it was easy to customize.

i wonder: does that neowin thread from back in the time still exists - i remember a big one with many styles including preview screenshots.or did it not survive the server crash? 

• Like 2

i FOUND neowin when i was entering something like "windows xp uxtheme styles" into lycos  :D

coming from win98SE i found xp an amazing step and things i liked was the remote control (played arround with a friend there), the new startmenu and that it was easy to customize.

i wonder: does that neowin thread from back in the time still exists - i remember a big one with many styles including preview screenshots.or did it not survive the server crash? 

pretty sure that it is available.     but there is not way to search for it.    because while the posts are still there, the search is not avail.

Could probably use a regular search engine to take a stab at finding it, for example "xp themes site:neowin.net", see what pops up. 

Of course, there's always DeviantArt too, sorted by most popular:

http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/customization/skins/windows/visualstyle/?order=9&offset=0

There's stuff in there for 8 (and even a couple for 10 but obviously way early for that), a couple of them remind me of XP themes, the Ceti 8.1 port from GTK for example is kinda similar to one I used to use back in the day.

Really? lol, I loved it!!

yeah man i actaully knew every theme that was half decent back in the day.

cannot say i was a huge fan of chaninja, but it certainly was popular and i was using it at least for a while.