Firefox an Endangered Species

So your system is somehow magically different and will perform differently?

So you think every browser works the exact same way across systems? That there are no such things as processor-specific optimizations? And as I said, even if there's a performance difference, claiming that the quantum of difference is exactly the same across systems is truly laughable (but not a surprise to hear at this point).

Real world? Ok, fire up a site that's script heavy, enjoy your browser while it stalls pondering things.

Yeah, I tested all the sites that I frequent and there's no noticeable difference between FF and PM on my system. You can make all the ludicrously ignorant claims you want about my experience, but it's just getting to be increasingly pathetic.

Those 5 seconds saved during that one time install must have really been worth it to cause so much drama over.

Yes, drama from you, who is making such a passionate push for FF usage over my choice of browser. But go on, continue being a drama queen as if it's gonna change people's minds.

Now blance that big plus of yours with <snipped typical exaggeration about how much PM is missing>

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah. Not losing anything here with the latest PM installed, works well and no site issues whatsoever, but thanks for being so concerned about all I'm supposedly missing out on. Lol.

Again, you're ignoring reality, it's very easily detectable in daily usage

Go on making that claim. Perhaps if you say it enough times it will magically come true for everyone around the world.

one-click-and-done fix for the ugly UI

I've said many times by now that I prefer PM to doing even the supposedly one-click-and-done fix in FF, but apparently it's not something that you are able to comprehend. You can go on blathering about how easy it is, yada yada, but don't seem to understand the point of me not giving a damn. FF works well for you, great. You feel smug and superior while using it over those who use PM? How nice. Meanwhile as per my testing PM works just as well for me for my needs despite all your desperate efforts to prove it doesn't.

Don't see any point of continuing this discussion because it's just going round in circles now.

Why has this topic become a Firefox vs. Pale Moon argument?!? Who in the hell cares? Use whatever you want.

Precisely. I don't see why anyone's personal choices need to be questioned as long as it doesn't affect anyone else.

Chrome for me does exactly what I want. Firefox extensions were extremely problematic (slow, constantly needing updating, attention grabbing) and the update process was a nightmare, so I moved over to Chrome soon after it was released and have stuck with it ever since. I've tried IE, Firefox and Opera over the years to compare the experience but have always gone back to Chrome, though I do use Opera as my secondary browser because of the Turbo Mode.

Firefox became everything that made IE so bad - a slow development cycle, poor standards support and UI updates that made no sense. It was a great browser in its day but it has served its purpose and has been made obsolete by Chrome. Given the slow nature of the open source development model I don't see Firefox ever being competitive, unless Google makes some serious missteps. I still don't understand why Firefox has a separate search bar and such small text for the URL bar.

Firefox and its addons auto update now, you can hide an addon's UI and the development cycle is much faster. Plus, Firefox is probably the most strictly standards following browser.

Firefox's awesome bar can be used to search, you don't need the separate search bar.

Also, Firefox is on par, if not faster than Chrome. You can can get even more speed by using Waterfox.

Having less add-ons installed and being able to use an interface by default that I prefer tips the balance clearly in PM's favor.

I am not sure why people think Firefox addons make things slower. It depends on how crappy the addon is. Also, see if Waterfox or Cyberfox is faster for you.

the main thing for me is the fact it syncs between devices and I can log into my Google account and my bookmarks and saved passwords instantly come across, no additional accounts on top of what I already have.

Have you heard of Firefox Sync? (no offense, it is just that Mozilla doesn't advertise as much as Google so it might be an unknown feature to those who don't use Firefox)

Chrome did one good thing - use WebKit and further its development (except they forked it into Blink).

Other than that, everything about Chrome is garbage.

- horrid UI with no title bar, cramped tabs, limited options

- a UI thats been copied by every other browser because users are stupid

- forced use of Chrome for apps like Hangouts

- uses much more memory

- a total joke of an extension system

- insane numbering scheme, again copied by others. Chrome 44 and FF 36 is insanity when we used to have a new major version every year at most

- terrible if you have > 5 tabs - all of them load on startup, slows entire pc down, uses more memory

The reason Chrome is popular is because most people are idiots, its just that simple. I'm amazed people on tech savvy sites like Neowin can claim with a straight face that Chrome is faster or that it uses less resources.

Also, Chrome is nothing more than a way for Google to get ad views. They could stop making it open source any day.

Mozilla is a great organization that has done amazing things for the Internet and it just wouldn't be the same without them. Firefox leads innovation in every area whether its new UX research, support for new standards etc.

I stopped using FF as my personal browser of choice when it became a bloated mess. I still use it for testing purposes now, but there's not really been anything to draw me back to it, since then.

I'd love to use Internet Explorer, but experience too many hangs/random tab crashes...
Chrome and firefox are not bad, although Chrome takes the upper hand with it's simplicity and performance (not talking about standard's "compliance" (lol), just plain performance)

Firefox and its addons auto update now, you can hide an addon's UI and the development cycle is much faster. Plus, Firefox is probably the most strictly standards following browser.

Firefox's awesome bar can be used to search, you don't need the separate search bar.

Also, Firefox is on par, if not faster than Chrome. You can can get even more speed by using Waterfox.

I appreciate that Firefox has changed a lot over the years but there's just not enough to make me go back. For me to even consider it it would have to be substantially better than Chrome, which it isn't for me. As for performance / resources, those aren't major factors for me; all the browsers are fast enough for what I want to do, so it comes down to the user experience.

Other than that, everything about Chrome is garbage.

- horrid UI with no title bar, cramped tabs, limited options

- a UI thats been copied by every other browser because users are stupid

- forced use of Chrome for apps like Hangouts

- uses much more memory

- a total joke of an extension system

- insane numbering scheme, again copied by others. Chrome 44 and FF 36 is insanity when we used to have a new major version every year at most

- terrible if you have > 5 tabs - all of them load on startup, slows entire pc down, uses more memory

I disagree. For me Chrome has the best UI, hence why it has been copied by other browsers. Memory isn't an issue for most users, especially if it results in a more stable browser (separate processes for tabs). The extension system is preferable to me, as Firefox became an unstable mess because of extensions - that situation might have changed now but perceptions are hard to shift. The extensions do what I need without slowing down the browser or resulting in instability. The numbering scheme is utterly, utterly irrelevant and makes it clear you're criticising Chrome for the sake of it. As for tabs on startup, I've never noticed any issues with performance when opening large numbers of tabs - as for memory, I have twenty tabs loaded on Chrome and it uses less memory than five tabs on Firefox (all of which are included in the twenty tabs in Chrome for the sake of fairness).

I appreciate that Firefox has changed a lot over the years but there's just not enough to make me go back. For me to even consider it it would have to be substantially better than Chrome, which it isn't for me. As for performance / resources, those aren't major factors for me; all the browsers are fast enough for what I want to do, so it comes down to the user experience.

Yeah, I understand, once you're situated in a platform that is convienient, it might even be worse to move out.

Have you heard of Firefox Sync? (no offense, it is just that Mozilla doesn't advertise as much as Google so it might be an unknown feature to those who don't use Firefox)

Yeah, but I need to create a separate account, and I'm trying to avoid having to create more accounts unless it's absolutely necessary now.

Really I don't like Chrome at all or the newer Opera (Chrome by another name). 

Common misconception. The new Opera uses the same Chromium engine but it is a very different browser from Chrome. A lot of features got lost in the move from their old Presto engine but it's still Opera. The Opera button in the top corner, the more efficient use of screen space, speed dial (where you control the new tab page not the browser), the download manager, the recent tabs feature, the fact that Flash is still external to the browser, actons around managing tabs, all sorts of little ways it's quite different from Chrome and for the most part more common-sense than Chrome. Also the complete lack of integration with Google services, which I like.

Well, after having problems switching to Firefox at first (I was having some strange connection problems) I decided to give it another shot.  Why?  Thanks to Google!  Apparently Chrome is changing their plugins format and some of the plugins I use at work will break with this update.  Also, Unity will no longer work, so I can't get my quick gaming session in from Armor Games or Kongregate :p

Surprisingly (to me) I had no more connection issues at all and everything seems to work great.  I do seem to notice that webpages tend to take a split second longer to fully load than on Chrome, not sure why.

I still use firefox. Largely because of a few plugins and also because chrome always freezes/doesn't load on my PC no matter how many times i try to reinstall.

Well, after having problems switching to Firefox at first (I was having some strange connection problems) I decided to give it another shot.  Why?  Thanks to Google!  Apparently Chrome is changing their plugins format and some of the plugins I use at work will break with this update.  Also, Unity will no longer work, so I can't get my quick gaming session in from Armor Games or Kongregate :p

Surprisingly (to me) I had no more connection issues at all and everything seems to work great.  I do seem to notice that webpages tend to take a split second longer to fully load than on Chrome, not sure why.

Firefox delays page painting to speed up connections. You can change this delay in about:config.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Content.notify.interval

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Content.max.tokenizing.time

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Content.switch.threshold

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nglayout.initialpaint.delay

It will be fixed with e10s, which you can get in Firefox Developer Edition builds.

I've tried switching from Firefox but always end up going back. I guess I'm just used to all of my extensions and that. Tampermonkey never seems to work the same way Greasemonkey does, as an example. I do have Chrome for the odd site that Firefox gives me issues with. And I use it as the main browser on my phone.

i haven't used Firefox for years i move to chrome and recently i downloaded Firefox and im loving it. I've slowly migrated my tabs from chrome to Firefox and had a discussion at work and to my surprise a lot of the guys recently moved back to Firefox too. I think the tech savvy guys like us who like speed and online privacy will keep firefox alive and well.. lol i've got my gf using firefox too

Firefox delays page painting to speed up connections. You can change this delay in about:config.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Content.notify.interval

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Content.max.tokenizing.time

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Content.switch.threshold

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nglayout.initialpaint.delay

It will be fixed with e10s, which you can get in Firefox Developer Edition builds.

Cool.  I'll just wait for it to come to the main build.