what do i say if i don't wanna work on weekends

i work at barnes and noble. what do i tell them if i don't want to work on weekends? i'm already scheduled for saturday (tomorrow) and sunday, but should i just walk up to the manager who manages my schedule and be like "for future reference, I can't work on weekends, as I have other obligations." Is this rude? i'm 18 and i still want to have fun on weekends. plus, it seems like thats when other people my age do things socially. I really don't mind working monday through friday, 3 or 4 days. but, saturday and sunday i just can't. but i'll work tomorrow and sunday since those are so soon, and its right before christmas and they need me. also, now, should i try to work on monday through wednesday? I'm not scheduled. I don't know why he did not schedule me. but, i don't know what to do. I want to work monday through friday 3- 4 days a week. I don't want to work saturdays and sundays, but I just don't want to be rude when i say this. HOw do i say this and not sound rude?

Ask yourself if you want a job. You work in an industry where weekends are the norm. You can't make your own hours when you work for someone else.

Yea, but don't be demanding, that's the quickest way to influence his decision in a negative way. I'd ask if it's possible for you to have weekends off because the obligations you have during the weekdays are carried over into the weekends as you have an in-sufficient amount time during the week.

Don't be like "Can I have the week off so I can party" lol. Be professional, respectful and make it clear that it isn't possible for you to work on weekends. I'm sure someone else would love to have those hours.

i'm probably about to get fired because i don't want to work sundays. if it weren't for my parents who are pressuring me to keep this job, i would tell my boss to kiss my ass, school is more important, but now, i will just ask for random days off every week. "i can't work tuesday, i hafta study for a calc test on wednesday... and i can't work saturday because i'm going over to see family". there's nothing more annoying than a bitchass manager... i work more than him, and he complains about how much i work?

i'm probably about to get fired because i don't want to work sundays.  if it weren't for my parents who are pressuring me to keep this job, i would tell my boss to kiss my ass, school is more important, but now, i will just ask for random days off every week.  "i can't work tuesday, i hafta study for a calc test on wednesday...  and i can't work saturday because i'm going over to see family".  there's nothing more annoying than a bitchass manager...  i work more than him, and he complains about how much i work?

ya see...my manager is pretty nice, i just want to keep the job. i just don't want to work on weekends. ehh...i guess college does have value. if i can get through college, does it mean i really can do anything i want? can i work for specific computer company in cupertino, California? can i be a weather man on the weather channel? how do i get these jobs and stuff?

1) if you put your mind to it. 2) yes, as long as you have the skills they want. 3) As long as you are not bored by meteorology. 4) Use your brain - without it, you're nothing but sheep.

the best way to get a job at apple would be to scan throught the jobs listing on the site and see if they need anybody fresh out of college. apple also visits some colleges for recruiting and what not, so check to see if they will come to your college, or a college near you

"I can't work on weekends"?

(Y)

MY GOD

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK THIS IS?!?!?! THE LAND OF TELLING THE TRUTH-NESS?!?!?!?!

YOU SHOULD BE BANISHED FOR ALL ETERNITY

These days if you don't work, others will take the job - so it is actually your loss should your boss decide to fire you just because you don't want to work on weekends. Yes, some people want to have their weekends off to enjoy and stuff like that, but if you're working for someone, you're bound by THEIR rules and you can't really set yours unless you're an asset to the company (that's another story entirely). But if you want, you could try asking politely whether you can have the weekends off, and state your reason for this.

More or less already stated by others but:

* Most people would like to have weekends off. You might ask whoever does schedules if they can keep you off weekends whenever possible (because you need the study time?), but don't make it an absolute demand or anything, and don't get peeved the times you do end up on weekends. Scheduling preferences tend to go to those who've worked some place the longest.

* If you "get through" college, where you're "able" to work is going to be dependent on a lot of things, like how well you've studied, how much you understand dynamics of various industries, and so on. Sometimes jobs are easier to come by at particular companies / in particular fields, and sometimes they're not.

The more you develop your brain and thinking in college, the better you'll understand where you want to work and why and how to go about it. College does not just give you a free pass to go and do whatever you want automatically, as much as it *can* open opportunities. Just having a degree by itself means very little if you don't have actual knowledge and understanding behind it, and it's not that hard to just "get through" college if you just want a piece of paper to frame on your wall.

Anyway, if you just mention to the scheduler that you'd like weekends off whenever possible, you'll probably end up with more off than you have now, but don't expect to get them off consistently if you want to keep the job.

[if you do say something like "for future reference, I can't work on weekends, as I have other obligations," and have no justification other than you "want to have fun", be ready to get bumped to the bottom of their mental totem pole if they even keep you around for long.]

Edited by poind

LOL

This i have to say is funny.

One thing i wish to ask, the rosters for your job MUST HAVE BEEN outlayed to you. If you agreed to a 7 day rotating roster(which means working weekends sometimes) then tough luck.

If not 99% of legits jobs(in australia) tell you what days you might be working and what hours and chances of overtime, superannuation contributions, pay per hour etc. this information must have been clear to you.

If you agreed to this 7day roster, then either leave your job or stop bitching.

As a manager myself, if you agreed to a 7day roster and now bitching about it, i would give you two options, either put up with it and follow the roster as i need people on at that time or leave. Finding a replacement is not that hard at all and i would rather spend a bit more money and paperwork finding someone through an advertising/job agency and training that person(which costs money as well) whom wants to work then someone whom is gonna whine and complain.

Do as you want.

Say your both Christian and Jewish religious. You can't work any time between friday sunset to well monday. (Watch him make you work from sunset saturday to sunday morning if he's smart).

Heh best i could find...

Ritalin

LOL

This i have to say is funny.

One thing i wish to ask, the rosters for your job MUST HAVE BEEN outlayed to you. If you agreed to a 7 day rotating roster(which means working weekends sometimes) then tough luck.

If not 99% of legits jobs(in australia) tell you what days you might be working and what hours and chances of overtime, superannuation contributions, pay per hour etc. this information must have been clear to you.

If you agreed to this 7day roster, then either leave your job or stop bitching.

As a manager myself, if you agreed to a 7day roster and now bitching about it, i would give you two options, either put up with it and follow the roster as i need people on at that time or leave. Finding a replacement is not that hard at all and i would rather spend a bit more money and paperwork finding someone through an advertising/job agency and training that person(which costs money as well) whom wants to work then someone whom is gonna whine and complain.

Do as you want.

Im with Davey on this 1, you must have a greed to the terms.

So you have 2 options :)

Or you can do what I did at one job when i didnt want to work sundays.

Due to religious convictions (ie. church) I cant come to work. If they ask why it's just recently that you cant work, tell them that its because you recently had a close family member/friend pass away and your parents are really stressing that you attend more.

Hey a little white lie never hurt anyone.

seems it is really hard to get a job now...the grocery stores are not even hiring now! be glad you have a job! but just ask if you can not work on weekends, maybe invite him to a party...o nm ur 18 :/

barnes and noble... hmm.... time to add that to my list of jobs to apply for. my job at sears's lawn and garden department has been paying me well (about 16.50 /hr after commission) but lately my manager has started putting me on the schedule for when i have school and so forth, and no on the weekends in the morning like i told them when i started working there. weekends are a big deal when you work commission. i love my job, but my first order of business for the new year is to get my manager replaced / fired. theres already been numerous complaints about him so this should not be a big deal. as for now, i must find another job that pays decently so i can keep saving to buy my car.

my advice to you is to tell your manager that your parents say you cant work saturdays because its the new family day, or if you are in college, say that you had to schedule classes on saturdays for the new term. as for sundays, say you go to church and help around the house with laundry and so forth for some reason or whatever. be creative, be believeable.

I am sure the place you work has a long list of ppl waiting to have a job there. In those days you cannot say "i cant work during weekend" anymore. Otherwise, they will hire another person that doenst mind to work during weekend.

:(

I work on sat's, what time do you get off at? don't got different shifts?, ask your boss politely and professionally and look him in the eye when you talk ;), say that your family wants you togo to church on sundays or something of the sort.