Gabe Newell Discusses Possibility of Half-Life 3

Don't believe a word of this quote. They are working on it, but like HL2 they are scared of the success and unwilling to release something until they're happy with it.

The impression I got from the quote is that they are actively working on it but that it won't be a traditional game, with a focus on multiplayer (maybe co-op) and VR. It will still be a narrative driven experience but it will push the boundaries of the genre. They also pointed out that Team Fortress 2 was remade three times before being released and that turned out to be an excellent game, certainly much better than their original vision.

If I had to guess I'd assume that HL3 will be built on the recently announced Source 2 engine and come free with Steam hardware (Steam Controller, Steam Link, Steam Machines, etc). I think Valve would be foolish not to bundle HL3 with the controller, as that would get it into millions of homes. That means it could be as soon as November this year.

The impression I got from the quote is that they are actively working on it but that it won't be a traditional game, with a focus on multiplayer (maybe co-op) and VR. It will still be a narrative driven experience but it will push the boundaries of the genre. They also pointed out that Team Fortress 2 was remade three times before being released and that turned out to be an excellent game, certainly much better than their original vision.

If I had to guess I'd assume that HL3 will be built on the recently announced Source 2 engine and come free with Steam hardware (Steam Controller, Steam Link, Steam Machines, etc). I think Valve would be foolish not to bundle HL3 with the controller, as that would get it into millions of homes. That means it could be as soon as November this year.

how did you get that from the quote? the quote basically says it isn't happening. yet you see a multiplayer VR game with a release date of november 2015? do you also see flying pigs? ;)

I have to say I sort of resent companies like Valve who do this.

Yes - as Gabe says, they've tried to move away from the games side of things and more into technology and content delivery. However Half Life arguably 'made' them. And it has a lot of loyal, dedicated fans - many of whom were the early adopters of Steam, which helped Valve gain such a huge foothold in that market. 

So it sort of irks me a little when companies forget their roots and indeed give a bit of a '######' type message to their most loyal fans and move onto whatever else interests them. 

I hope that some day they will actually release HL3. Even if it is used as a showcase for some new technology they're trying to push at the

I have to agree with this. I only ever installed Steam to buy and play HL2. Amazing that now it is the only way I buy PC games, and I hardly even think about HL.  It has been too long now and I have given up on HL.

Portal was pretty revolutionary, but they didn't make that. They bought it. Portal was an amazing piece of work, and Portal 2 expanded on some of those concepts. I think the best of Valve is Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2.

They also bought Left4Dead

how did you get that from the quote? the quote basically says it isn't happening. yet you see a multiplayer VR game with a release date of november 2015? do you also see flying pigs? ;)

This part:

But we are also going to build on what we learned, and we have learned a lot. We aren

A story arc should never be left without an ending, they owe it to their fans to at least bring the series a decent ending.