Is Mandrake 8.1 worth the download.

Depend on the changes, I think you shoud get all the latest stable version of your software, and kernel just to be safe ;) But in Mandrake's case, I think they modify those software's code a little, so I think you should wait for the FINAL, or if you have a fast connection, why not? ;)

Leave it to dedicated people to find bugs. Unless you can download it in like 10 minutes and have a spare CD hang around then it's probably worth waiting.

I remember downloading WinXP RC1 and how unstable it was [especially in comparison to the FINAL release!]. Saying that, some beta software is perfectly useable [like GetRight and others].

In the case of an OS that you intend to use reguarly you need the most stable system you can have. Unless you have an OC12 connection it probably isn't worth bothering, and even then it's still dubious of it's usefulness.

-mortensenj

Draknet (network configuration tool), test and enjoy this thoroughly reworked version.

Support for the Euro

Mime Type managing reworked

Renewed URPMI (package installer) and Software Manager

The reworked Mandrake Control Center will provide a convenient embedded root console as well as new tools such as Logdrake, a graphical frontend to the system log files, or Drakinst, which allows easy setup of an auto-install disk.

Renewed HardDrake (disk partitioner)

Fresh version of PrinterDrake to get all the power of your printer.

In Mandrake Linux 8.1 Beta 1, you'll also find:

Kernel 2.4.8

This beta 1 features the latest kernel available, 2.4.8, with included support for 3 different journalised filesystems (IBM JFS, ReiserFS and ext3), all of them integrated and available through DiskDrake during the installation or after.

User interfaces

Latest and fresh KDE 2.2, with the office suite Koffice 1.1 (major release since really usable).

GNOME 1.4.0, with

Evolution 1.0 Beta 2

Nautilus 1.04

Server tools

Nameserver bind 9.2

Apache 1.3.20

Proxy squid 2.4

Instant messaging gabber/jabber

Journalized file system jfs/ext3/reiserfs

News server Inn 2.4.2

Postgresql 7.1.2

And of course mail servers Postfix and Sendmail, Mysql Database, Openssh, NIS, NFS...

Misc

You will also find versions of the most up-to-date multimedia and desktop utilities, such as:

Mozilla 0.93

Xmms 1.2.5

Gimp 1.2.2

Gphoto2

Grip 2.96

And, along with the default gcc 2.96 compiler, the latest GNU Compiler Collection 3.0, with all the development tools like glade, KDevelop 2.2 and several other languages (python, perl, OCaml, mercury, tcl/tk...).

• 3 weeks later...

Mandrake 8.0, 8.1 Beta 1, Beta 2, never work ony my normal computer (AMD k6-2 450mhz) because when it try's to start x windows, it exits and says cannot find font 'fixed', but everthing else is okay. Then i tried all of them on my laptop (PIII 650Mhz) and it started perfectly, but it always installs the same packages no matter what I chose! Its really frusterating :mad: . Btw, when I start dragging over icons to select multiple files, it freezes the whole comp! The only way it works normall is throught Virtual PC, thats my 2 cents about Linux Mandrake 8.x

does linux turbo se come with a mandrake verson ??
No, Mandrake is another distribution, I don't think Turbo Linux will include Mandrake with it :p
do i need mandrake ???????
It depend, I would recommend SuSE for newbie tho :)

Webgraph, I suggest you go over to Mandrake's site, and check out the Change Log. I think mostly they upgrade/add software into their distro. If you're running daemon like telnet, ftp, ssh, httpd I think you should go there and see if there're any security update. I'm sure there'll be two or more. :old:

i'll post some of my gnome desktop later on today, it's 8.1. but it was a bitch to d/l even on my dsl connection. the only mirror i could get access to was in the uk!