How to Split One Ethernet Cable to Two Devices

I have a bit of a n00b question that I tried to search the answer for before posting this.

We currently have a single Cat5 running from the router, through a bunch of walls and up to the main room. It's currently connected to a device and working fine. We can not run another cable up there due to logistical constraints and a clause in the lease.

I need the current cable to feed two devices and I was trying to find something that would facilitate this; some sort of adaptor that has essentially one Cat5 in, with two Cat5 ports out, where I could then use two spare short Cat5 cables to feed to the current device plus another.

WiFi is not an option due to the poor signal and other silly factors that are out of my control.

Does anyone have an idea if such an adaptor exists and if so, would you mind pointing me in the right direction please?

Also, would splitting one cable have any detrimental effect(s) on speed or any other factors?

Mucho gracias.

Thank you for the answers guys. I was aware of the switch but it will be overkill for the simple purpose that we need it for as at least half the ports will go unused so I was hoping maybe there was a small adaptor for this purpose.

Nonetheless it is an option that I will resort to if it comes to that.

Something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/RJ45-CAT-5-6-LAN-Ethernet-Splitter-Connector-Double-Adapter-Dual-2-Port-Convert-/221024404683 ? Obviously you'll need one at each end so you'll need to have two available ports in your router.

I've resorted to using these in the past but they do work - even though this gets a bad review.

You'll be limited to 100Mb/s though.

Network switches aren't overkill and are made for purposes like this. The cheapest switch you can get is a 5 port for like $15-20. Just get a switch and you'll be happier.