Will You Replace Programs for Apps When Updating to Windows 10?

Apps for Programs  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Replace Programs for Apps After Windows 10 Launch?

• Yes - Most/All
    • No - None
    • The Majority
    • A Nominal Few

I guess my main question would be why? What benefits would it bring? Would the upgrade to the new app be free?

I figure leave well enough alone. I'm perfectly happy with my desktop applications.

I'll use which ever program is better. You want me to use your app? Don't f**k it up.

Well said!

I'll use which ever program is better. You want me to use your app? Don't f**k it up.

This X100

But then I don't have an irrational hatred for Win 8 and metro like some so called geeks, so there's that 

I see alot of people commenting 'no' when they read my previous post as to why Metro apps currently are terrible but no one has commented why they think they are better than desktop apps.

Take Photoshop. Imagine it as a metro app. 
Now tell me why I should use that over the desktop version, prove your points to me.

So when Windows 10 is forced on poor Windows 7 users, first thing to do is use PowerShell to uninstall all apps, change all defaults to desktop versions. And replace all Windows "improvements" with 3rd party desktop apps so functionality doesn't reduce every few years and UI isn't compromised every few years. :p

Or just go back to XP.

I see alot of people commenting 'no' when they read my previous post as to why Metro apps currently are terrible but no one has commented why they think they are better than desktop apps.

Now tell me why I should use that over the desktop version, prove your points to me.

I doubt you'll get a response.  As I believe you've said, Modern UI applications cannot replace programs like Photoshop (or even Microsoft Word for that matter) without dumbing down/removing features.  The Modern UI Word is just a bit more feature rich than WordPad. I couldn't even imagine simple tools like Handbrake in Modern UI. 

Desktop programs are superior in every way (desktop/notebook) to their Modern UI "equivalents".

I've yet to see what some of the lovefest is with these applications, though I guess I would like them on my phone or other smaller device.  /shrug

So the answer to this thread is... nope and no way.  I do not own either a Windows Phone or a Tablet so applications across devices do not matter to me.  Lack of features and the overall look and feel of Modern UI applications is unappealing.

• Like 2

That would just prove my point. 
Desktop apps are better in every way, but after my original comment Ive read 3 or 4 people simply say 'no' to everything that was said, but not one of them gave any points why.
I do agree, security is better for Metro apps (virus free etc) but apart from that, theres nothing going for them on the desktop. On tablets and Windows Phones, sure, they are great and thats where they belong, but currently, on the desktop, they dont. 

While well coded applications are fine either way IMO, there are too many desktop applications that still draw using GDI, dx9 or something equally crap.

Every desktop app has its own separate update mechanism.

And since win32 apps can interfere with eachother and install drivers and services and whatnot, they are inherently problematic and can be less secure and make your entire system less secure.

When you uninstall a win32 app, who knows what junk it's leaving behind.

If Photoshop was a Windows Runtime app, I'd never need it to check for updates, no other software could make it crash, etc.  But functionally I'm guessing it's a better coded app than most.

___

As for me, I've already stopped using win32 apps where I can.  Once Spartan is finished I'll add browsers to that list...games will be pretty much the last software standing in win32 on my box.

Or just go back to XP.

Sure, are you willing to provide me XP compatible drivers?  :rolleyes: Oh wait not possible. How convenient to tell people to do what's not possible with current hardware. It's like saying: You don't like earth? Then go and stay on Jupiter. Nobody's stopping you  :p

If they have the SAME functionality as desktop programs, then probably. Most, so far, that I use, do NOT.

Even the built-in apps don't sometimes. Including Media Player.

You might want to tell Microsoft then. They're creating apps meant for tablets that are not really mobile apps!

ummm... yeah... They're making tablet apps that aren't mobile apps....

I doubt you'll get a response.  As I believe you've said, Modern UI applications cannot replace programs like Photoshop (or even Microsoft Word for that matter) without dumbing down/removing features.  The Modern UI Word is just a bit more feature rich than WordPad. I couldn't even imagine simple tools like Handbrake in Modern UI. 

Oh really, I'll give you something far more advanced than handbrake then

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/96a3b0bf-5a00-4e1a-b073-b04d295e58bd

no need to imagine. The capability is there, they just need to make use of it. Not all apps need to be modern apps, FOR NOW photoshop and 3DS MAX and similar fall in that category, that doesn't mean they couldn't recreate either one as a modern app. with full functionality. 

That would just prove my point. 

Desktop apps are better in every way, but after my original comment Ive read 3 or 4 people simply say 'no' to everything that was said, but not one of them gave any points why.

I do agree, security is better for Metro apps (virus free etc) but apart from that, theres nothing going for them on the desktop. On tablets and Windows Phones, sure, they are great and thats where they belong, but currently, on the desktop, they dont. 

Kind of like you didn't give any points as to you BS argument that desktop apps are better in every way ?

of course some apps don't exist as a desktop app, like netflix. and making one would be a waste of resources when they have a modern version. 

There's also the whole built in sync for modern apps. everything syncs between my machines directly without a need for me to set up special crap for each app, if they have any. Also for a lot of apps, the ability to show information on the livetile is a great benefit that you don't get with desktop apps. 

Oh really, I'll give you something far more advanced than handbrake then

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/96a3b0bf-5a00-4e1a-b073-b04d295e58bd

no need to imagine. The capability is there, they just need to make use of it. Not all apps need to be modern apps, FOR NOW photoshop and 3DS MAX and similar fall in that category, that doesn't mean they couldn't recreate either one as a modern app. with full functionality. 

Comparing HandBrake to a video editor isn't really fair...since both have different purposes, different features and different functions.  It's like comparing PowerPoint to Excel.

Even so, show me how this mobile PowerDirector matches feature to feature with its desktop brother (hint: it doesn't).  That is why your example comes free as a companion tool for its desktop "equivalent", PowerDirector 13....or is a simple video editor overall (a little more powerful than MovieMaker).

Try again.

Yea, try to pack the below interface/features into the woefully inefficient ModernUI design.  You'd have to cut features to make it fit.

post-21852-0-06309700-1428578338.jpg

For me, apps are quite basic and I really like customising my stuff. I don't mind the look of apps, I actually think they look better than the big desktop version it's just they don't offer as much. Will switch for the simple stuff.

Comparing HandBrake to a video editor isn't really fair...since both have different purposes, different features and different functions.  It's like comparing PowerPoint to Excel.

Even so, show me how this mobile PowerDirector matches feature to feature with its desktop brother (hint: it doesn't).  That is why your example comes free as a companion tool for its desktop "equivalent", PowerDirector 13....or is a simple video editor overall (a little more powerful than MovieMaker).

Try again.

Yea, try to pack the below interface/features into the woefully inefficient ModernUI design.  You'd have to cut features to make it fit.

I'm struggling here... there is a different between can and will.

My opinion, is that modern applications can and will become as functional (if not more) than today's 'desktop programs'.

What I read from your statement is that you think they can't and therefore won't become as functional as today's 'desktop programs'.

I just don't understand the rationale behind the 'can't'.  Do you care to share?

I am sorry if I am asking you to rehash statements that you've already made, but I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't genuinely interested

Anyway, there is no way to know for the end user which language a Metro app is developed in, is there?

And it is none of the end users concern.

windows 10 has something called adaptive ux. what this means is, the app can load a UI based on the device capabilities. therefore, if a desktop type device is detected with no touchscreen, the app can load the exact same UI layout as in the image you provided. The exact same app can then provide a touch friendly UI if its run from a tablet.

Microsoft has already said they will be providing more controls that work well on different device types. And for other cases where these controls are still insufficient, there is always custom controls.

• Like 3

You can't have it both ways, so make up your mind.

umm that's what I said to start with. what are you on ?

Actually, it's more like comparing a calculator to Excel. they both do similar things, but one does a lot more. 

YEs, you could put that in a modern app if you wanted to, but the thing is modern teaches you to only have the tools you want/need visible at a time. not to have the whole toolbox out and open all the time. it's no efficient or good design no matter what UI design language you choose to use. 

Nope, I use my computer as a multi-window multi-function beast.  Can't be stuck with tablet interfaces on everything.  

And it is none of the end users concern.

So you're not aware people avoid desktop apps for performance reasons if they require .NET or Java?