Firefox dying at just 10% marketshare

Chrome still doesn't have basics like -

1. Load tabs on demand

2. Multi row tab bar

Both issues have thousands of requests over many years, but chrome is still broken.

I hope it doesn't die; it has been my preferred browser for years.  I regularly test my web apps in IE and Chrome...IE 10/11 I don't mind since it feels lightweight and the font rendering isn't too bad, but Chrome for me is unfortunately another whole game.  It *seems* to me that Google is throwing a ton of stuff in Chrome without caring how it comes out of the wash.  The latest example for me is the faint and washed-out font rendering both in the UI and in pages.  It just *seems* they're on a another highway than I'm on.  I like how the settings are in Firefox...might seem old-school to some, but to me it's simple and detailed.

Also, I couldn't live without AdBlock plus in FF.  I've gotten so used to having custom filters set that strip out sidebars and flashing things on pages, that it's mind-blowing to me when I see those pages without the filtering.

Unsurprised am I. Firefox was my default browser for a long time until they allowed advertising, I`ve tried quite a few ways of getting rid of it to no avail. Windows put out a fix for the problem on exploder and it worked so now that's my default. If Firefox could fix that advertising problem I`d have no hesitation in moving back to it.

What 'advertising problem'?

The only 'advertising' in firefox is a few curated sponsor tiles on the new tab page, and they only show up on a clean install of firefox or when you clear your history... its very easy to simply click the x button on those tiles to remove them, or you can hide all tiles completely by clicking the button on the top right of the new tab page, or even disable the new tab page completely by setting it to about:blank, and you can also replace the new tab page completely with one of the various speed dial extensions....

I've recently switched back to Firefox at home for a change.  I use portable firefox at work because the network settings are separate to IE, whereas Chrome just uses IE proxy settings.

I always seem to have problems with embedded flash elements crashing Chrome, and slowness etc occasionally. 

I don't take kindly to a man being run out of his job by a bunch of SJWs, who don't measure up to his little toe, that are butthurt about a measly $1000 donation to prop 8 when the majority of Californians supported it too. Go to any website, including this one, and look at it's source code. everytime you see "<script type='text/javascript'>" you need to thank that man.

The reaction after he stepped down from the other side was just as dumb, the eich thing was a ridiculous manufactured controversy on both sides of the issue, mozilla was on a no-win situation there.

Online media manufatured that whole circus, fanned the flames and sat there raking in precious clickbait.

It also disrupts anything I'm doing for somethign that shouldn't require restarting the browser. it's archaic design. 

Which is why they've changed it and allowed restartless addons for quite some time, its the fault of the addon devs if they haven't fixed their addons to be restartless yet. Many major addons already are restartless, adblock plus for a noticeable example.

• Like 2

I like firefox but out of the three big browser, it's the only one where it flash crashes browser or firefox comes to a complete crawl when using streaming sites like twitch\vaughlive\veetle\etc. 

I rarely use IE.  I used to use IE a lot after Netscape was bought out by AOL years ago.  Then a year or so later, I have been mainly FF.  I use Chrome for Chromecast and my mobile.  I find Chrome works better than FF for mobile.  My personal preference.   And I have not had an addon break with an update in a few years.  Used to happen all the time but again, have not had a problem for a while.

If Chrome ever catches up in FF in the way of addons/extensions.....I may consider removing FF.  I don't like to have a lot of redundant apps installed.

Firefox + uBlock + squeaker757 color themes = happy camper here.  Cool to know I'm part of the top 10%!   ;)

P.S. With Neowin white-listed of course!

Show the screenshot of your Firefox

This is my Firefox on Win10 and I love it!

That looks pretty...  Can you tell me how to get my fox to look like that?  What do I need to do?  Will the search result page shows dark screen too?  I hate white screen.  It's annoy.

I really hope Spartan is something that can be comparable to Chrome and FF in terms of plugins, security, and performance, because I really don't like being beholden to Chrome.

Firefox, I use primary for secure things so I don't get those mixed up in Chrome with my regular browsing.

Choosing between Chrome and FF... flip a coin. They both have strengths and weaknesses and both can have performance issues. Both also have rabid fans (more for FF than Chrome, though). Any non-techie user would barely be able to name which is which.

I switched back to Firefox a few months back. Chrome scrolling was too annoying to deal with and I couldn't get it just right even with add-ons. Firefox scrolling is just perfect for me with just couple about:config tweaks.

The main thing that made me switch to Chrome was mobile devices, I hadn't tried Firefox on phone/tablet in ages and when I last tested them they were not even remotely usable as the main browser. Once I went back to Firefox as the default desktop browser I also decided to give the mobile version a try. I'm glad I did.. Firefox is now the best browser on all platforms, Firefox Sync is so much better than Chrome and the ability to use same add-ons on both desktop and mobile is awesome.. wee for actually working Android adblocking (without root).

I dunno, Chrome synced really well when I have installed it on other systems, even Win10 TP.

Chrome and Firefox look essentially the same, depending on user tweaks.

I always wondered why people still bother with a URL box and a search box... seems redundant. Though calling them "Awesome Bar" and "Omni Box" does sound retarded.

So, just like IE users then? After all, the only reason IE has any marketshare whatsoever, is because Microsoft forcibly made it inextricable from the underlying OS (for anticompetitive purposes of course).

Pretty much. But I do need IE to download Firefox :rofl:

Chrome and Firefox look essentially the same, depending on user tweaks.

I always wondered why people still bother with a URL box and a search box... seems redundant. Though calling them "Awesome Bar" and "Omni Box" does sound retarded.

Because in Firefox you can select different search engines/sites in the search box. IMDB, Wikipedia, Youtube, etc can all be searched individually. That's superior to the URL box which will just use your default search engine.

Pretty much. But I do need IE to download Firefox :rofl:

Technically you don't. Just run a console and download FF from Mozilla's FTP server using FTP commands.

Because in Firefox you can select different search engines/sites in the search box. IMDB, Wikipedia, Youtube, etc can all be searched individually. That's superior to the URL box which will just use your default search engine.

Technically you don't. Just run a console and download FF from Mozilla's FTP server using FTP commands.

and you can also remove the search bar in firefox and just use the URL bar to search

Um, you can do that in Chrome with one field as well. Right click on any field on any site, use Add as Search Engine, then you just need to type the name to activate that search engine like "youtube hampster dance" will directly search youtube.

I wouldn't call it broken just because it lacks those two things. I doubt Google has any interest in implementing multi-row tabs.

Users consider it broken, hence the requests. Chrome is fine if you have <5 tabs which I guess is what Google thinks is typical usage, and might well be for most people, but it fails for any power user/pro, e.g. most people on forums like this one.

but it is so bad

Its crap on IE. Less options and causes pages to hang.

Tracking protection lists

I believe anyone who thinks IE or Firefox are slow/bloated compared to Chrome, haven't used either of them recently.

It's Chrome which needs to die(don't have any hopes of them improving performance or dropping superfluous features) but sadly Google/Android are taking over the world.

Amen!!

I'm currently on Firefox and not planning to switch because what I always seek in browser is feature set + speed. So far it doesn't disappoint in speed though I miss some hot-keys and gestures I used to have in other browsers and there's just no add-on to properly replicate those. Even something as simple as Ctrl/Shift-Click to save image to specified folder with no menus or confirmations in process.

I switched to all the major browsers there is and all of them have history of being "fastest" at some point and then usually things get ugly. Firefox used to be too slow for me, but now Chrome is last browser I would touch at this point, but I would totally switch to latest IE/Spartan if only feature set was there for me. There was actually a very powerful add-on 'IE7Pro', but as name suggest it only worked well on IE7 and for some reason team behind it just disappeared and never released versions for IE8 and newer (although it did work with IE8 with partially broken functionality).