Even Spartan beats FireFox!

So I have been using Spartan for more than a week now. And to my surprise, not only its faster than Firefox in rendering webpages but its much stable in terms of performance. 

I would have never thought a new beta browser can beat a 10 year old browser. Seriously I was a big fan of FireFox from 2004 to 2010. But After trying Chrome I never looked back. I still have it installed though, but I rarely use it.  

What do you guys think about Spartan vs FireFox? Anyone else feels that Spartan out performs Firefox? 

Wouldn't surprise me, Spartan and Firefox use the same rendering APIs, but Spartan renders pages slightly differently to Firefox which performs better.

Can Spartan/Edge be used outside of Windows 10 yet? Wouldn't mind giving it a try from a proper day to day perspective rather than spin up a VM, browse to google and shut it back down again.

• Like 1

I would have never thought a new beta browser can beat a 10 year old browser.

So you compared spartan with firefox v0.9 ? I'm surprised you didn't think it would beat firefox v0.9, 10yrs is a long time in the computing world.

P.S mozilla is working on 'servo' a multi-threaded browser which will be faster than all browsers (assuming it is released before the other browsers become multi-threaded).

• Like 1

Can Spartan/Edge be used outside of Windows 10 yet? Wouldn't mind giving it a try from a proper day to day perspective rather than spin up a VM, browse to google and shut it back down again.

Unfortunately not and I don't see it being possible either in the near future. They are tightly integrating it with the Universal App infrastructure and I guess it would be a lot of effort to port it over and not create a load of huge security flaws. Annoyingy that could also decrease adoption as you don't get any of the benefits of using the same browser across all your devices.

Unfortunately not and I don't see it being possible either in the near future. They are tightly integrating it with the Universal App infrastructure and I guess it would be a lot of effort to port it over and not create a load of huge security flaws. Annoyingy that could also decrease adoption as you don't get any of the benefits of using the same browser across all your devices.

Ah thanks for the info.

I've not been following Win 10 much so that explains why they haven't done it :). I like to be a bit of a guinea pig at work so I'll probably upgrade to Win 10 pretty close after release. I actually ran the Win 8.1 preview as my main desktop at work a few weeks before release and it didn't go too badly so here's hoping :)

Yeah, MS is pushing the universal platform heavily, they realized how badly it was handled in 8/8.1, and they're not doing the same mistake again.

Problem is, their new snazzy universal app platform now won't work on 7/8/8.1.

So I have been using Spartan for more than a week now. And to my surprise, not only its faster than Firefox in rendering webpages but its much stable in terms of performance. 

I would have never thought a new beta browser can beat a 10 year old browser. Seriously I was a big fan of FireFox from 2004 to 2010. But After trying Chrome I never looked back. I still have it installed though, but I rarely use it.  

What do you guys think about Spartan vs FireFox? Anyone else feels that Spartan out performs Firefox? 

EDGE works really well as an Alpha browser but has a long way to go.

It does the basic's right that is good rendering speed & low usage of unnecessary resources then i can see it being a massive hit.

Wouldn't surprise me, Spartan and Firefox use the same rendering APIs, but Spartan renders pages slightly differently to Firefox which performs better.

Yes but Edge load pages way more faster especially when opening multiple tabs & background tabs are already rendered whereas in other browser it takes 1-2sec to render.

• Like 6

EDGE works really well as an Alpha browser but has a long way to go.

It does the basic's right that is good rendering speed & low usage of unnecessary resources then i can see it being a massive hit.

Yes but Edge load pages way more faster especially when opening multiple tabs & background tabs are already rendered whereas in other browser it takes 1-2sec to render.

O M G! what will you ever do with those lost 1 -2 secs of loading time. lol

Firefox and greese money make a good combination

Hooray, let's compare a browser that's not yet released to something that is! This is absolutely a pathetic comparison.

• Like 2

Ah thanks for the info.

I've not been following Win 10 much so that explains why they haven't done it :). I like to be a bit of a guinea pig at work so I'll probably upgrade to Win 10 pretty close after release. I actually ran the Win 8.1 preview as my main desktop at work a few weeks before release and it didn't go too badly so here's hoping :)

10 is already much more stable than 8.0 and 8.1

Hooray, let's compare a browser that's not yet released to something that is! This is absolutely a pathetic comparison.

Well, that's the comparison that MSFT is making themselves.  They compared Spartan against the latest alphas/beta of the Firefox and Chrome rendering engines and even with the improvements they have in the pipeline, Edge still beat all of them.

You are really comparing a unverial app (Edge) that is designed for WIndows 10 to a win32 program (Firefox) that has not been optimized for WIndows 10 what so ever yet? I would hope Edge performs better especially considering it lacks a lot of features (addons) and doesn't support as many HMTL5 features as Firefox. I think Edge performs alright on my WIndows 10 test box but it's still unusable without an adblocker.

10 is already much more stable than 8.0 and 8.1

I have always hated Windows 8 but wouldn't describe my Windows 10 test box as "stable".

I have always hated Windows 8 but wouldn't describe my Windows 10 test box as "stable".

I run it on multiple PCs and haven't had a real problem with stability. Some functions have failed at points, but it doesn't crash.

Without taking a side, I'd like to know if you performed any objective tests, such as measuring cold start, warm start, script execution speed and so on. It would also be interesting if you could try Browsermark, Peacekeeper and Sunspider and report back with actual numbers.

New Firefox 38 landed today boasting improved page rendering and other new changes. It's better and better each version. Sod Spartan :p

This ain't a Windows 10 conspiracy.

It should be. 

Yeah, Edge (Like Chrome/IE/etc.) is highly "multi-processed", so pages can't interfere with each other (Every browser, including Firefox, is highly threaded, all page rendering/parsing/downloading happens on separate threads, but all JS shares a single thread). So when you switch tabs all it has to do is ask the content process to render the page it's already got, no need to wait for other pages to finish their work.