Will Neowin update forum design?

Due to unforeseen circumstances, this has been pushed back a week. 4.0.7 will be landing sometime in the next week too (re forum post above this one) ^

oh.my.actual.god! This is unacceptable. As a user of this free forum I demand better! Here I have a list of my totally unreasonable demands which I expect you to achieve in an entirely unreasonable time frame! After all, I, as a free member who uses this forum, expects you to spend your life upgrading this forum to my satisfaction!

:p

• Like 2

Nah. :p I'm sure you like the direction Windows 10 is going more than he does.

The forum design will presumably be very similar to the front page, so you're still probably going to have to get use to it.

Out of curiosity, what changes would you like to see happen to the front page?

Haha Yes you're right on that count!

That's what I was afraid of...

The biggest gripe I have is the graphics are way too big. When I view it on my ultrabook I have to scroll almost a whole page before I start seeing any content! Each article 'block' is also a bit big for me too, I guess I'm used to small sizes. I realise it's catering to the tablet fanclub, but seriously... can't they just have a tablet mode to boost the size by 500% so they can see it? (Or they can buy glasses :p)

Upgrading IPB is a massive pita, i'm about to get started on my sites upgrade to 4, and i'm prepping the whisky and Valium.

If it's such a PITA, why is Neowin using it for their forum software? Is there nothing better out there?

Upgrading any forum software with the userbase and size of the overall database such as neowin's is a pita...

Haha Yes you're right on that count!

That's what I was afraid of...

The biggest gripe I have is the graphics are way too big. When I view it on my ultrabook I have to scroll almost a whole page before I start seeing any content! Each article 'block' is also a bit big for me too, I guess I'm used to small sizes. I realise it's catering to the tablet fanclub, but seriously... can't they just have a tablet mode to boost the size by 500% so they can see it? (Or they can buy glasses :p)

A tablet mode on Neowin. :o  I suppose that isn't actually a bad idea. :)

Why do I foresee people complaining because this update will make the page more mobile friendly? Why do we need a separate "tablet mode"? This is what responsive CSS was designed for. Quite frankly, I'd love to see responsive CSS across more webpages.

If it's such a PITA, why is Neowin using it for their forum software? Is there nothing better out there?

A huge amount has changed from IPB - IPB4, making it a PITA.

Be careful with the IP.Comunity Suite upgrade. 4.0.5 broke SSL admin CP logins on my site and 4.0.6 broke SSL for everything...

Due to unforeseen circumstances, this has been pushed back a week. 4.0.7 will be landing sometime in the next week too (re forum post above this one) ^

So the issue I faced with SSL enabled is two part.  First is for some reason FileSystem storage option doesn't get rewritten to //domain.tld, it stays as http://...

Nope, we have a feature coming to the site that has delayed the upgrade a bit. All will make sense when it is done as it's something we can't really do after the upgrade and needs completing before. :)

How much behind are you with the updating?

Nope, we have a feature coming to the site that has delayed the upgrade a bit. All will make sense when it is done as it's something we can't really do after the upgrade and needs completing before. :)

Steven, spill the beans please!

Steven, spill the beans please!

Neowin is launching a competitor to GeoCities! lol

Ow, cryptic. Will this update help me better yell at people I don't agree with?  :rofl:

Just update it as is and offer the new stuff as DLC.

• Like 3

I am currently working towards two forum projects...

in the meantime Vanilla forums is teh shizzit. faster then IPB and can even run on crap shared hosting.

Please note: I've used and installed and administered ALL of the forum suites. even obscure ones... :p