I need some help for a friend please.

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

+xrobwx71

I have a server that I use to host a website it has 2 network cards running Windows 8.1.

My dilemma is when I download Torrents I of course use a VPN, while the VPN is connected the Web Site is no accessible.

Does anyone know of a way to have 1 network card dedicated to IIS and the second for everything else ? This way when the VPN is connected I can continue to download through networks card 2. Meanwhile Network card 1 keeps the correct IP and serves up IIS.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

+BudMan

How about just host your website with a webhost or vps..  Why anyone would serve up anything off their home connection is beyond me..

As to binding a program to using specific nic.. You could try this

http://www.howtogeek.com/117890/how-to-force-an-application-to-use-a-specific-network-card/

Or if you really really want to serve up your website - then just use a seedbox for your p2p stuff vs vpn.

• Like 1
xendrome

Change the settings of the VPN to not use it as the default Gateway while it is established?

sc302

use a different computer. 

virtualize the setup to give one computer access to one card and another computer access to the other card. 

no way to multihome a windows computer properly/assigning services to cards.

+xrobwx71

Thanks for all the responses! I'll pass this along! When he indicates to me which was the solution, I'll come back and choose the marked solved button.

Thanks again!

+xrobwx71

Thanks for all the responses! I'll pass this along! When he indicates to me which was the solution, I'll come back and choose the marked solved button.

Thanks again!

How about just host your website with a webhost or vps..  Why anyone would serve up anything off their home connection is beyond me..

As to binding a program to using specific nic.. You could try this

http://www.howtogeek.com/117890/how-to-force-an-application-to-use-a-specific-network-card/

Or if you really really want to serve up your website - then just use a seedbox for your p2p stuff vs vpn.

Thanks Budman!! He picked door #1

+BudMan

yeah there really is not reason to host stuff of your home connection, unless it was an interface to something at home for your own personal use.  And then that access should be via a vpn and not open to the public anyway.

What host did he go with, shared or vps?

+xrobwx71

Shared I believe.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Google Fi's VPN is exiting beta and coming to iPhone
      by Rich Woods

Today, Google announced some privacy improvements to its Fi cellular service. While its VPN was introduced over two years ago in late 2018, it's apparently been in beta this whole time. After making an array of performance improvements, Google says that the VPN is coming out of beta on Android.

Also, the VPN is expanding, as it's coming to iPhone. All Google Fi subscribers using an iPhone will start seeing the VPN this spring.

If you're unfamiliar with VPNs, it stands for virtual private network, and if there's one thing that you need to know about it, it's that it boosts your security and privacy. It gives you an encrypted connection, so even if you're on a network that isn't secure, Google is offering you a layer of protection. It also means that sites can't track your location because they can't see your actual IP address. Lots of VPNs tend to make compromises when it comes to speed, but that's exactly what Google claims to have improved.

And the fact that it's coming to iPhones is a big deal. iOS is an area that Google has struggled to bring to feature parity with Android on its Fi network. In fact, originally called Project Fi, it didn't even support iPhones at all (officially) until late November 2018, two weeks after the service's VPN was announced. Even then, iPhones didn't support some key features like carrier switching; presumably, that's not as big of a deal now since Google Fi ran off of T-Mobile's, Sprint's, and U.S. Cellular's networks, and the former two companies have merged into one.

The other thing that the Mountain View firm is announcing today is a new privacy and security hub, which is coming to the Fi app on Android devices. It's meant to help you learn about the privacy and security features that you'll find on Google Fi, and you can manage those features, such as the VPN. Other features touted, which aren't new to today's announcement, include blocking spam calls, of which Google says that it blocks tens of thousands per day, and protection from theft techniques like SIM swaps, where someone might try to reassign your phone number to a different SIM and use it to gain access to your accounts.

• By News Staff
      Save 69% off a lifetime subscription to Yodata VPN
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software, VPN section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 69% off a lifetime subscription to Yodata VPN. With 2,500+ servers around the globe, this VPN guarantees superior browsing at blazing speed & industry-leading encryption.

In today's digital age, it's absolutely essential to protect your browsing activity by using a VPN. yodata offers a simple privacy solution for all devices with military-grade encryption on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Smart TV, and your router. yodata VPN operates with 99.9% uptime and gives you access to high-speed servers around the globe. yodata VPN is extremely committed to your online security.

Servers across 50 countries for blazing speed Unlimited traffic & bandwidth Industry-leading AES-256-GCM end-to-end encryption Yodata does not monitor, track, or store what you do online Seamless server switching without any impact on connection Kill switch allows you to cut all connections to your device Works with cutting-edge VPN protocols: OpenVPN, IKEv2, & more Dedicated24/7 support Good to know
      Device per license: unlimited Updates included License deadline: redeem within 30 days of purchase For terms, specifications, and license info please click here.

Here's the deal:
      A a lifetime subscription to Yodata VPN normally costs* $59, but it can be yours for just $17.99 for a limited time, that's a saving of $41.01 (69%) off!

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all of our current VPN deals. This is a limited-time sale!
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

Home Gym Giveaway | Ultimate Gaming Giveaway (feat. PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X) Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By EVJOHN
      Having just moved house, I noticed the wifi in my study was patchy. I therefore invested in a TP Link Powerline (TL-WPA4220) to run from my router to my study.

It works perfectly on all my personal devices (Windows, Apple, Android etc) with them all getting the full wifi speeds promised by my ISP (Vodafone), both over wifi and ethernet. 

The main reason I installed this, however, was for a fast reliable connection to my work computer. But whether via wifi or ethernet I'm getting much slower speeds on my work laptop than my personal devices connected to the same powerline - even slower than before I installed it when I was working at the far edge of my router's range. I'll be getting 70mbps download and 25mbps upload speeds on my personal devices and 2mbps download and 5mbps upload on my work computer.

I called my work IT, they suggested my ISP was throttling my use (when testing the connection on my work laptop we found that when I connected to my ISPs network / server the speed was as expected, but any other server was very slugglish, which led them to think this).

I contacted by ISP who insist they're not throttling my use and it must be something to do with my employer's IT policy. They did give me a static IP address suggesting this might help (but it hasn't).

Any ideas why this might be happening?My main suspicoion is that it's something to do with the VPN on my work laptop (zscaler), although when I tried installing a VPN on my own persional laptop it had no effect on speeds. How could my laptop / VPN even recognise that my internet is coming from a different source? Are there any known issues with powerlines accessing secure VPN networks?

I'm being bounced around to different people none of whom have a clue, so any advice would be gratefully received!
    • By News Staff
      Save 76% off a 1-year subscription to VyprVPN (+3 free months!)
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save 76% off a 1-year subscription to VyprVPN. Personal, no-log VPN with advanced WireGuard® protocol for internet privacy, security, and freedom.

VyprVPN is a fast, no-log personal VPN that encrypts your Internet connection to provide online privacy and security. VyprVPN allows you to enjoy a completely private online experience, whether you’re browsing, streaming or sharing files. It allows you to bypass censorship or geographically imposed blocks to access a free and open internet from any location around the world. Using WireGuard, the most advanced VPN protocol, it increases connection speeds dramatically. VyprVPN is a no-log VPN provider, as certified by an independent audit. Unlike most VPN providers, VyprVPN operates without any third parties. VyprVPN writes 100% of the software, manages the network and owns the hardware for total user privacy.

Hide your IP address & secure your internet connection, including unsecured Wi-Fi Protect your online activity & data from third parties, hackers and snoops, and ISPs Bypass restrictions including geo-blocks & governmental censorship Secure your connection while P2P file sharing Quickly connect to 300,000+ dynamic IP addresses No-log VPN verified through an independent audit with results publicly posted All servers & hardware company-owned with no third parties WireGuard® for cutting-edge encryption & ultra-fast speeds Automatic Kill Switch keeps your data protected even if VPN disconnects NAT firewall for an added layer of security Company incorporated in Switzerland with favorable privacy laws Innovative Chameleon™ protocol to defeat censorship & VPN blocking VyprDNS, an exclusive encrypted DNS with no third parties 24x7x365 VPN service support & live chat Good to know:
      Length of access: 15 months (users will get additional 3 months free) This plan is only available to new users Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For terms, specifications, and license info please click here.

Here's the deal:
      A 1-year subscription to VyprVPN normally costs $194, but it can be yours for just $44.99, a saving of $149.01 (76%) off!

There's also a discounted 2-year subscription offer for an additional $15.

See all of our current Apps + Software and VPN deals. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Check out the Neowin Store for our preferred partners.

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off +3 months for free! Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      Save 60% off the Premium Privacy Bundle Ft. ZenMate VPN & StartMail
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 60% off the Premium Privacy Bundle Ft. ZenMate VPN & StartMail. Stay protected online and access the content you love with this Award-Winning security solution.

ZenMate VPN: 1-Yr Subscription
      ZenMate is one of the fastest-growing, top-rated VPNs for good reason. Used by over 41 million users, ZenMate lets you access the web securely, anonymously, and without restriction. It employs top-level encryption to keep your passwords and banking information safe, letting you browse the web securely on any public or private Wi-Fi connection. Plus, ZenMate hides your IP address and encrypts your traffic, so no entity—even the government or your ISP—can track what websites you visit. Download the browser extension today, and you can even easily switch between proxy locations to access any content you want, wherever you want. You'll say goodbye to location-based content restrictions, and finally forge your own private path online.

Encrypts your browser traffic to safeguard your data Includes a browser extension to easily switch locations Protects you & your data while using public Wi-Fi hotspots (or at home!) Unblocks restricted sites like streaming services, news publications & social media Unblocks restricted YouTube videos Hides your IP by changing your location Secures all your devices with desktop clients & mobile apps Includes your choice of 30 countries: Germany, Romania, Hong Kong, United States, France, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Canada, Singapore, Netherlands & Spain Delivers turbo-speed Internet connections Blocks malicious sites

StartMail Private Email Service: 1-Yr Subscription
      StartMail is a total solution for protecting your email privacy that includes features like extra-secure data storage, unlimited alias email addresses, and an ownership that will resist unwarranted intrusion. It has easy‐to‐use 'one‐click' encryption, and a very clear privacy policy. Using state-of-the-art technical and organizational security, StartMail effectively protects your personal data. It's ad-free too! Never worry about your data being collected for advertisements or tracking purposes. StartMail is based in The Netherlands and complies with the EU GDPR, the strictest privacy laws in the world.

Never reads your email Create unlimited aliases on the fly Use it with your favorite email programs, like Outlook, Thunderbird, & Apple Mail Complies with EU GDPR privacy laws 10GB storage; more space than you will ever need to store all of your sensitive communications No software to download & no installation needed Best in class, dedicated 24/7 support team Good to know:
      Length of access: 1 year This plan is only available to new users Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For terms, specifications, and license info please click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Premium Privacy Bundle Ft. ZenMate VPN & StartMail normally costs $119, but it can be yours for just $44.99, a saving of $75.01 (60%) off!

See all of our current Apps + Software and VPN deals. This is a time limited deal.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $0.99 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off +3 months for free! Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store