How to connect to dead iMac's hard drive

My 2009 iMac has died.  I've just about everything backed up, but there's a few things that I know weren't backed up and I'd like to get to them.  I've googled all over, but most of them all require you to adjust settings or install something on the iMac...which I can't do!

Worse case, I know I can pull the HDD out and drop it in an enclosure that will give me USB access, but I'm hoping there's other methods.

My iMac's GPU died, so it can't display anything.  The best I can assume is that the computer boots to the login screen and stays there.  So, knowing that, is there a way I can connect to it using my Macbook?  It does not have firewire.  I do have Chrome Remote Desktop installed on both computers and my iPhone.

Any ideas?

It would be better to go down the caddy route which would be better seeing as your mac is on its last legs, dont scrap the mac you can put it for sale on ebay and some one who knows what they are doing will buy it.

I do have Chrome Remote Desktop installed on both computers and my iPhone.

Is there any indication that the displayless computer is alive on the network? If you're connected, then tell it to allow network access to another computer and move your files.

Is Single User Mode accessible or is the monitor completely dead?

Worse case, I know I can pull the HDD out and drop it in an enclosure that will give me USB access,

This is the method with the greatest probability of success.

"It does not have firewire."

Meaning, my macbook doesn't have firewire.

Is there any indication that the displayless computer is alive on the network? If you're connected, then tell it to allow network access to another computer and move your files.

Is Single User Mode accessible or is the monitor completely dead?

This is the method with the greatest probability of success.

No...nothing's showing up :(

It would be better to go down the caddy route which would be better seeing as your mac is on its last legs, dont scrap the mac you can put it for sale on ebay and some one who knows what they are doing will buy it.

Yea by "scrap" I meant eBay it.

What kind of HDDs do these iMacs use?  Standard 3.5"?  I'm assuming any ol' caddy will work?

Ok. Pulling the drive is your only option.

I like the enclosureless setups for recovery. Don't ever have to worry about drive form factor. Just needs to have a interface where a cable fits.

The last iMac I ripped apart was 3.5". Given that you need to remove the drive anyway, you'll see it and know.

"It does not have firewire."

Meaning, my macbook doesn't have firewire.

Yea by "scrap" I meant eBay it.

What kind of HDDs do these iMacs use?  Standard 3.5"?  I'm assuming any ol' caddy will work?

Newer MacBooks don't have firewire ports, but can use Firewire devices with an adapter.

They are standard 3.5" SATA drives. They do have some extra connections that you don't get on all drives (for reporting temperature) but that should't affect putting it in a caddy.

To pull the HDD out on a late 2009:

- Disconnect power and drain power from the system (the PSU is exposed internally).

- Attach a suction cup to the top left and right corners, pull the glass gently down from the top (it's slightly hinged at the bottom), then lift the glass out.

- Remove the 8 T10's around the display

- Lift the display very lightly (there are short cables connecting it). Remove: vsync (top left) backlight (far left, midway) data (right in the middle) and thermal sensor (again, right in the middle) cables.

- Lift the display up and out of the case

- Remove 2 screws from above the HDD (either T10 or T8 i can't remember) and the HDD should lift out. Make a note of which way around the thermal connector is plugged in - if you put it the wrong way your fans will go crazy.

Newer MacBooks don't have firewire ports, but can use Firewire devices with an adapter.

As my sig says, I have a core 2 duo Macbook from 2007 or 2008.  It's even older than the iMac lol :(

What port would the firewire adapter plug into?  It doesn't have thunderbolt, obviously.