[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:39 PM, UnclePritchard said:

does anyone else get these errors? sfc gets stuck at 19% and stops and personalization crashes.

Yes, Personalization crashing was mentioned in the release notes for this Insider build.  It's not unique to the Personalization page - that same crash happens elsewhere in Settings.

edit: And this is now fixed in the current Insider build.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, UnclePritchard said:

anyone tested it? just downloaded it and curious if sfc issue is really fixed.

It is way better than 14936 the sfc issue in not listed as a known.

11 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

It is way better than 14936 the sfc issue in not listed as a known.

well yes sfc does work...but i see task manager does not remain maximized and probably as many already noticed there's more consumed RAM. for me it increased by 30-40%

2 minutes ago, UnclePritchard said:

well yes sfc does work...but i see task manager does not remain maximized and probably as many already noticed there's more consumed RAM. for me it increased by 30-40%

Task Manager remains maximized for me. Cortana uses all of the memory. If you do not use it turn it off.

13 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Windows 10 Build 14942 might increase RAM usage for some users

I just saw this thought you would be interested.

From what I've read, the only time it'll use more ram and ungroup service hosts is if you're on a system with more than 3.5GB (4GB) of RAM.     I've got 16GB in my PCs and I always hover around 40-50% used, with the rest sitting there and mostly being used when I play games.    With how cheap it is and how much more and more of us have in our systems, I think it's great that they're going to ungroup service hosts and give us that added benefits such a move brings.   If that means the OS will use another 2GB of ram than before doesn't bother me, at some point down the line I can just upgrade and add more, the mobo is good up to 64GB.

32 minutes ago, George P said:

From what I've read, the only time it'll use more ram and ungroup service hosts is if you're on a system with more than 3.5GB (4GB) of RAM.     I've got 16GB in my PCs and I always hover around 40-50% used, with the rest sitting there and mostly being used when I play games.    With how cheap it is and how much more and more of us have in our systems, I think it's great that they're going to ungroup service hosts and give us that added benefits such a move brings.   If that means the OS will use another 2GB of ram than before doesn't bother me, at some point down the line I can just upgrade and add more, the mobo is good up to 64GB.

I have 24GB so it does not bother me either.:)

well i have 4 as my other 2 GB are somewhat faulty... should buy another 4 i guess but haven't had the money yet to do that. task manager issue was a temporary issue of mine apparently. thanks for the feedback

When I was using 14936 I had about 62 services running. Now with 14942 , I have 117 services. No wonder users are having memory issues..Why so many services?

Just now, Gary7 said:

When I was using 14936 I had about 62 services running. Now with 14942 , I have 117 services. No wonder users are having memory issues..Why so many services?

Read the article you linked.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:54 PM, Gary7 said:

Because prior to 14942 you also had +117 services, many of them where just listed as 1 single service.

Just now, Studio384 said:

Because prior to 14942 you also had +117 services, many of them where just listed as 1 single service.

I know, they just separated them out to make it look like it would equal the memory usage. It is done with Mirrors..:)

• 1 month later...

I'm on the Slow ring, and I have a weird problem since updating to the latest version - the Photos app opens randomly and I don't have the slightest clue why. Am I the only one with this issue?!

1 hour ago, TDT said:

I'm on the Slow ring, and I have a weird problem since updating to the latest version - the Photos app opens randomly and I don't have the slightest clue why. Am I the only one with this issue?!

If the slow ring is 14965 or 14971 then that is a known issue.

2 hours ago, TDT said:

Yeap, 14965. Any fix?

They say to minimize the open windows then close them but I found that to be BS. If I were you I would switch to the fast ring and get build 14986, it is stable and does not have magical windows..

5 hours ago, Gary7 said:

They say to minimize the open windows then close them but I found that to be BS. If I were you I would switch to the fast ring and get build 14986, it is stable and does not have magical windows..

indeed, I can confirm that.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:11 AM, UnclePritchard said:

indeed, I can confirm that.

it does, and restoring after maximizing works too.

Unfortunately sleeping the display seems to be borked with my HD4400 set-up.

• 4 weeks later...

15002 just outright refuses to install on my tablet. It keeps rolling back and is getting annoying. Anything worth checking?

2 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

15002 just outright refuses to install on my tablet. It keeps rolling back and is getting annoying. Anything worth checking?

I would probably wait for the preview release. if that's a production machine, no need to mess with that