Is Destiny a sink hole?

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are Destiny players desperate for content to throw money at?

• Yes
    • No
    • This is Activisions way of not charging a subscription fee

The game has not lived up to my expectations, 

This is how I feel as well. I wouldn't mind the expansions if the campaign was completed with a story instead of having to dig for grimoire cards (it's simply not my kind of game that I have to dig through another source to read up on the context of what's going on). I did not expect the game to turn out the way it did, quite frankly.

"Yes" and "This is Activision's way of not charging a subscription fee" are the same answer.

Destiny was clearly structured to be a DLC delivery mechanism, must like Evolve. And it was clearly cut-up prior to release, effectively ruining any story it had. In it's current state, it's a pathetic excuse for what Bungie used to be capable of. In a word, "disappointing".

• Like 1

Destiny was ok for a month or so. I got bored with it. The raids were goofy and the end game was just a bunch of grinding for a poor reward system. On the positive side, it has very good controls and nice visuals.

Once other games came out though, I was happy to move on. Destiny just felt hollow to me.

My copy would be collecting dust, but I bought it through the Xbox so it's just sitting in the cloud somewhere if I ever decide to download it again.

Our issue with Destiny has been the distribution of gear from dungeons. The limitation on one piece of yellow armor is asinine. They need to fix the drop rate and selection of gear. Make set pieces like every other MMO. Destiny has a severe problem with hitting the gear wall. Unless you have a dedicated crew of hardcore players it's very hard to complete end game dungeons. A level 32 PoE with randoms would be nearly impossible. The rep grinding is ludicrous. It's a shame as the core mechanics, graphics, etc are all great. The reward mechanisms are truly broken.

I played during beta days...  I don't find it interesting..

That's the reason I am a racing fan to the racing games these days.

I have a few shooting games and other games once a while depends on mood.

Bungie has stated in the past (or at least some of their employees have) that Activision is directly behind the gaming being ripped apart and sold out piece meal to gamers. However, i still enjoy the game very much and will be buying each Expansion / DLC that releases.

Bungie has stated in the past (or at least some of their employees have) that Activision is directly behind the gaming being ripped apart and sold out piece meal to gamers.

Really?

Wow unlike Blizzard they have the balls to admit it.

Really?

It was either a Reddit AMA or a GAF thread, but an anonymous Bungie employee spilled the beans about how tumultuous the end of development was for Destiny. Like how some story elements were torn out at the last minute and others were removed with the sole purpose of being sold later as DLC. I don't know if that person's employee status was ever confirmed, but their details did seem to be legitimate.

Activision's way of not loosing any fraction of profit to platform running costs. In other words, subscription.

Our issue with Destiny has been the distribution of gear from dungeons. The limitation on one piece of yellow armor is asinine. They need to fix the drop rate and selection of gear. Make set pieces like every other MMO. Destiny has a severe problem with hitting the gear wall. Unless you have a dedicated crew of hardcore players it's very hard to complete end game dungeons. A level 32 PoE with randoms would be nearly impossible. The rep grinding is ludicrous. It's a shame as the core mechanics, graphics, etc are all great. The reward mechanisms are truly broken.

I soloed a level 32 PoE and completed a level 35 and hard raids with random people.

I just started playing it cause of coworkers so I dont have a full opinion.  I've been reading about it though and they clearly are milking it through DLC, and most of my coworkers plan to drop it when star wars is out.

Really?

Yeah but not "Officially" it is just employees ranting about how Activision is ruining their project.

It was either a Reddit AMA or a GAF thread, but an anonymous Bungie employee spilled the beans about how tumultuous the end of development was for Destiny. Like how some story elements were torn out at the last minute and others were removed with the sole purpose of being sold later as DLC. I don't know if that person's employee status was ever confirmed, but their details did seem to be legitimate.

No, that whole thing was debunked like no tomorrow. 

didn't help the fact that Bungie hs a very special deal with activision where Bungie basically gets to do as they please as long as they release the 3 agreed on games through them within the contracted time(which is pretty long). Bungie did this themselves. probably one of the reasons MS let them go, they saw that as a studio Bungie was burnt out and didn't have the "spark" anymore. and their heads where more interested in money than the actual games.

I just started playing it cause of coworkers so I dont have a full opinion.  I've been reading about it though and they clearly are milking it through DLC, and most of my coworkers plan to drop it when star wars is out.

There are too many good games coming out. Destiny had a good run but after The Taken King and the two minor DLCs I think Destiny 2 will be announced at the next E3.

There are too many good games coming out. Destiny had a good run but after The Taken King and the two minor DLCs I think Destiny 2 will be announced at the next E3.

Thats weird, I keep hearing a coworker say that Bungie plans to get 10 years out of it.  While 10 is unrealistic, I figured the next gen consoles would kill it. 

No, that whole thing was debunked like no tomorrow. 

didn't help the fact that Bungie hs a very special deal with activision where Bungie basically gets to do as they please as long as they release the 3 agreed on games through them within the contracted time(which is pretty long). Bungie did this themselves. probably one of the reasons MS let them go, they saw that as a studio Bungie was burnt out and didn't have the "spark" anymore. and their heads where more interested in money than the actual games.

How was it debunked? Did someone from Bungie step in to deny/save-face? That doesn't inspire a lot of trust. But either way, I think the outcome is the same. The current Bungie is not the Bungie of old.

Thats weird, I keep hearing a coworker say that Bungie plans to get 10 years out of it.  While 10 is unrealistic, I figured the next gen consoles would kill it. 

I think the 10 years is for whole franchise and the length of their contract with Activision.

How was it debunked? Did someone from Bungie step in to deny/save-face? That doesn't inspire a lot of trust. But either way, I think the outcome is the same. The current Bungie is not the Bungie of old.

It was debunked from multiple angles. mainly the guy was a nobody who didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Remember the day you bought a game (paid once) and could play it endlessly in all of it's glory?

Pepperidge farm remembers

• Like 2