Done with Facebook

Just wondering how many of you have quit or not to vent joined Facebook. I was on it for years and I was visiting it constantly reading posts, updating, etc.

Recently it has gotten very political and I found myself getting very angry and miserable from it. All the anti cop videos and posts, people offended by everything, posting drivel bullcrap, and so on.

My favorite podcaster Jim Florentine has a series of Awful Facebook post rants and he helped me see reality, he said that people he meet that aren't on Facebook aren't stressed out and are generally happy. He says that Facebook is for 16 year old girls and soccer moms.

I finally lost it when I started seeing friends changing their profile pictures to that dumb rainbow overlay. I started deleting everyone who did it then just said screw it and deleted my account.

I'm finding myself spending my time more constructively and not getting wrapped in drama.

Anyone else feel the same way about Facebook?

I binned facebook nearly 3 years ago, best thing I ever did tbvh. public sounding board for single celled cretins who will type anything for a "like", it got quite bad up here when the Scottish referendum was in full swing, people you know IRL who seemed to be pretty level headed and sensible, ranting about made up FUD on facebook, amazing how many tartan hat scots suddenly became mouthy.

Trying to convince the mrs that her facebook account aint worth keeping is falling on deaf ears :) shell learn herself no doubt :)

I think most keep it going to keep tabs on exes, "friends" from school and to satisfy a voyueristic or nosey persona tbh. Oh look how amazing my life is with my posts on facebook, when they are sitting at home eating lard sandwiches is the reality.

the whole rainbow overlay kind of thing, stupid infantile bollocks imo, applying a rainbow means you suddenly care about the causes you broadcast as one of the cool crowd?

• Does it help the minorities?, NO
  • Does it raise funds for said minorities? NO
  • Does it do anything physical for the minorities? NO
  • Does it give the wearer of said overlay a feeling of being a part of "something"? and a sense of well being that they are helping the target audience?   YES

Instead of showing your support with a stupid overlay picture, how about actually assisting or donating to causes in this sector?

Utter tripe.

• Like 3

I binned facebook nearly 3 years ago, best thing I ever did tbvh. 

I would go so far as to say maybe you should do some more stuff if that's the best you have ever done. 

Just wondering how many of you have quit or not to vent joined Facebook. I was on it for years and I was visiting it constantly reading posts, updating, etc.

Recently it has gotten very political and I found myself getting very angry and miserable from it. All the anti cop videos and posts, people offended by everything, posting drivel bullcrap, and so on.

My favorite podcaster Jim Florentine has a series of Awful Facebook post rants and he helped me see reality, he said that people he meet that aren't on Facebook aren't stressed out and are generally happy. He says that Facebook is for 16 year old girls and soccer moms.

I finally lost it when I started seeing friends changing their profile pictures to that dumb rainbow overlay. I started deleting everyone who did it then just said screw it and deleted my account.

I'm finding myself spending my time more constructively and not getting wrapped in drama.

Anyone else feel the same way about Facebook?

Sounds like u need real problems and to admit ur a homophobe.  

I have a Facebook account but I'm selective about who I have as friends - only the whom I know are my friends; if I've never met you in the real world then I'm really not interested in having you as a Facebook friend. Once I trimmed off all the people I don't know or don't care about my daily feed has pretty much become non-political consisting of posts about being nice to others and plant a tree which is what I can handle. One thing have deleted off is my Reddit account - a circle jerk where well constructed posts are down voted because they don't follow the narrative that the hive mind has decided is true for that day. The net result? you end up with the top posts being crappy pun reposts, pointing out grammar and a post that amounts to little more than "I agree" but with more words - the net result from that is you have a forum of people re-enforcing the status quo and those outside of the status quo, no matter how well written, are down voted to oblivion. Best example were a number of multi paragraph replies on how the disputes resolution tribunal work in regards to the TPP by someone who appeared to put a lot of time, effort and citations - his contribution voted down into oblivion in favour of 'TPPA sucks doood! bernie sanders rulz!'. I'm centre left but holy crap such people make the left look bad hence I left Reddit. Facebook on the other than is what you make it - sign up and friend anyone and everything then you'll get a crappy feed.

• Like 1

Sounds like u need real problems and to admit ur a homophobe.  

Real intelligent post there buddy. That is the kind of stuff I definitely won't miss on Facebook. People typing "u" instead of "you", "ur" instead of "you are". Not to mention, I don't "need real problems". I don't think anyone NEEDS problems. Plus needless name calling from children like you. I never said anything about liking or disliking gays. I just hate the pc crap invading it like those stupid ass rainbow pictures, anti-cop videos, pictures of people's food, husbands and wives talking to each other on Facebook, hashtags, and the list could go on.

Real intelligent post there buddy. That is the kind of stuff I definitely won't miss on Facebook. People typing "u" instead of "you", "ur" instead of "you are". Not to mention, I don't "need real problems". I don't think anyone NEEDS problems. Plus needless name calling from children like you. I never said anything about liking or disliking gays. I just hate the pc crap invading it like those stupid ass rainbow pictures, anti-cop videos, pictures of people's food, husbands and wives talking to each other on Facebook, hashtags, and the list could go on.

Sounds like the internet in general isnt for you then.  If things like that bother you then you really do need real problems to worry about. 

• Like 1

Plus needless name calling from children like you.

This kind of looks weird when you just chastised someone for the very same thing. :)

This kind of looks weird when you just chastised someone for the very same thing. :)

What do you mean? Did I call someone a name? See, I am getting pulled back into the Facebook mentality again in this thread. I'm out.

husbands and wives talking to each other on Facebook.

What's wrong with that?

When I'm working away, this is the only 'free' way of video talking to my wife (assuming I'm I. A WiFi hotspot)

Nothing, just annoying. When you listen to Jim Florentine talk about it, it's hilarious. He says that those people mostly only do that so that they can show everyone how in live they are instead of just walking into the next room and saying whatever it is. The fact is that most couples who are on Facebook together are usually train wrecks.

Facebook just really became annoying for me mostly because of all the political crap starting with Ferguson and so-called friends expressing outrage Wilson's vindication in the Ferguson shooting.

Just listen to this, you guys will love it.

19:40 about "getting the winter coats out" is hilarious. He also mentions another post where some guy posts "just killed a mosquito". That's it. Listen to a few of these podcasts and you really begin to feel like an idiot for the crap you post on Facebook.

?

I treat Facebook like I treat my Neowin account. I have been around for a while but I don't post that much.

I really get annoyed at people who don't switch features on with Facebook.

You can be friends with people but switch the follow feature off. You can also hide a post and select see fewer posts like this.

i use to have about 50 accounts. just for boosting mafia wars. i could careless what people would say, i deleted all of my account's but left 1 for family.

facebook is a drama place. people bashing others, posting useless crap

I blocked all access to Facebook on my network and on my PCs in case I'm on someone else's wifi, but for other reasons than what was brought up here.

I just wanted to avoid seeing the social plugins on other sites along with all the dumb comments that come along with them plus block their tracking and advertising (privacy, security concerns)

Well I'll go back to my original post them, don't like it? Delete yourself from it.

No need to start belittling other users on how they choose to use it, or start topics looking for justification for your rant, not everyone thinks the same thing, most of the casual input on the internet is meaningless crap to someone else, that doesn't give someone the right to go on and on about it, that is also what ignore features are for.

• Like 3

I mostly use Facebook for the chat service as well as to stay in touch with family members who live in other countries. I occasionally use it (and Twitter) to see if certain news pieces I have read are trending and see what others are thinking about that news. With that being said, I have not updated my profile or my pictures for a very long time, nor do I really have a desire to. I also seldom jump on social media bandwagons. I am a strong supporter of LGBTQ rights and I am happy that they have received marital rights in the United States, but I do not feel the need to prove this to everyone on Facebook (most of whom are practically strangers by now) by putting on a rainbow filter. Similarly, when I was back in Junior High School we had this kind and generous vice principle who unfortunately passed away from ALS, so I think of him when I donate to ALS related causes; I do not need to show everyone this by dumping a bucket of ice water on my head and daring a few other people to do the same like everyone was doing at some point on Facebook (many of whom not even aware of what ALS was). However, honestly, I am not bothered that other people like to jump on these bandwagons, because at the end of the day everyone wants to feel like they belong with their group of friends; therefore, I simply just ignore much of what people post without being annoyed at them and I do not feel the need to quit using Facebook because of what these people do.

However, if you are really annoyed by all of this you could simply block/unfriend the people whose behavior is annoying you. You can also filter your News Feed if you want news from certain people but not from others. Or you can close your Facebook account all together. Who needs Facebook anyways when there is Neowin :D.?

I treat Facebook like I treat my Neowin account. I have been around for a while but I don't post that much.

I really get annoyed at people who don't switch features on with Facebook.

You can be friends with people but switch the follow feature off. You can also hide a post and select see fewer posts like this.

Yeah, I switched my follower feature off cuz I dono who followed me lol And there is no way to find out xD

i use to have about 50 accounts. just for boosting mafia wars. i could careless what people would say, i deleted all of my account's but left 1 for family.

facebook is a drama place. people bashing others, posting useless crap

Yes, agree. FB is full of flaming wars (depends on what kind), people with their own person issue and what they do (useless crap)... I'd rather go G+ forever...

I rarely update my status anymore. I only use it to contact friends and family and post photo's.

For some reason my FB app doesn't notify me anymore, so when I do log into FB I have 10-25 "updates" that I gotta read.

I have always wanted to create a fb post bot for myself. Something that will post something random once a day. I give it topics and it goes and finds the strange crap.

I use facebook to communicate with people who don't know how to use anything else, like ricochet or tox, or who I can't ask for them to switch. It is mostly just for family communciations and study groups for me.

Yes, agree. FB is full of flaming wars (depends on what kind), people with their own person issue and what they do (useless crap)... I'd rather go G+ forever...

Corrected ;)

"Yes, agree. Internet is full of flaming wars (depends on what kind), people with their own person issue and what they do (useless crap)..."

I blocked all access to Facebook on my network and on my PCs in case I'm on someone else's wifi, but for other reasons than what was brought up here.

I just wanted to avoid seeing the social plugins on other sites along with all the dumb comments that come along with them plus block their tracking and advertising (privacy, security concerns)

You should try Ghostery.  It blocks that stuff from all social networks on pages that arent the social network site itself.