I want an old Mac... Donald!

I was reliving my happy days of 1994 - 1998 playing things like Oxyd, Shufflepuck and KidPix (sheepshaver).  Then I decided I wanted to get an actual old Mac. The question is... which model to go with?  I remember schools used to carry Power Mac 5500 (the ones with the build in screen) ah yea... in fact I had one and it was a lot of fun. I think it got lost during a move...

Oh I crave it now, but I have questions about CPU power and App speed (is it even relevant?) I was eyeing the Power Macintosh G4/1.25 DP (mirrored drive door model).  They say its the last G4 to run OS 9, however if I tried to play those old games on it, would they have compatibility issues or go too fast? (the way some old dos games used to do)

Thanks! I really probably would like to get the 5500, but if the G4 can benefit me in some way (aside from os 9 and nostalgia games) I'd like to know :)

I can't offer any advice on the situation, but it's an interesting idea that you've offered. I know that there are emulators on Windows to run older applications and games (DosBox comes to mind as I installed it a couple of days ago) but I don't know if there is a similar option for Mac? Wouldn't something like that make more sense than trying to find outdated hardware?

Yea DosBOX rules, especially with Sierra games. For Mac I tried sheepshaver and basilisk, they're alright except the really fun apps don't seem to cooperate with them. A physical box is just a must have for me, heck I might even get a printer so the nephews and nieces can print what they draw up in KIDPIX1.2  :p  The more I think about it, probably gonna go with the 5500 (again unless someone testifies the benefits of the G4, or if that's just overkill).

I bought a Dual 1 GHz G4 MDD the other week. Nice powerful machine. Doesn't feel slow, but all of the software I'm running is really old. Also to note, I'm running OS X 10.2 on it, and not OS 9, but OS 9 performance should be excellent.

I have a 5500 here (the black version with the TV tuner). Amazing that it's never had a single repair (I did put a bigger HDD in once but the original is back) and it still works perfectly.