FireFox is Doomed!

Okay. I have been trying to not to label Firefox as "Dead", "Doomed", "Done" browser. But despite my best of efforts to not to think about negative aspects about this browser, which are:

1. Slow Loading

2. Sluggish Performance

3. Broken graphics

4. Performance going down by every new release

and Now 

5. Pocket Now Integration. Why would you add a third party service to your browser? Why you can't leave it up to the users; if they want to have it or not as Add on ( which already available in Firefox addons ). But no, Its now integrated into the damn browser and there's no easy way to removing it [for average joe]. Yea you can go into about:config and all that but the point is why is there a need to include a third party service cooked into the browser? Mozilla claims to "put you first". But this isn't the case in reality.

Meanwhile, Chrome is gaining MORE user base and getting performance increase day by day. While FireFox is declining; in userbase and in its shares.

Good luck Mozilla. Your end is near.

Firefox is on a downward decline, not ready to call it dead / doomed, but only at 10%~12% market share....

Doesnt worry me, I would rather use FF (Well I'm not using it atm, I use Cyberfox - 64 bit),  than Chrome any day.

I've seen systems crash , because of Chrome. They get infected with something, it crashes, Windows crashing because of it.

Havent had any probs like 1-4 above

Okay. I have been trying to not to label Firefox as "Dead", "Doomed", "Done" browser. But despite my best of efforts to not to think about negative aspects about this browser, which are:

1. Slow Loading

2. Sluggish Performance

3. Broken graphics

and Now 

5. Pocket Now Integration. Why would you add a third party service to your browser? Why you can't leave it up to the users; if they want to have it or not as Add on ( which already available in Firefox addons ). But no, Its now integrated into the damn browser and there's no easy way to removing it [for average joe]. Yea you can go into about:config and all that but the point is why is there a need to include a third party service cooked into the browser? Mozilla claims to "put you first". But this isn't the case in reality.

Meanwhile, Chrome is gaining MORE user base and getting performance increase day by day. While FireFox is declining; in userbase and in its shares.

1-4 aren't true at all, performance has been a big focus in firefox development for a long time now, and performance has been getting better with every release.

And for you average user, all you need to do to 'remove' pocket, is drag the icon off the toolbar. It doesn't use any resources if you aren't using it, so there's no reason to dick around in about:config to totally disable it. 

Pocket integration is merely a few lazily-loaded API calls to a HTML webpage, while Hello is essentially a small, lazily-loaded UI on a web standard feature with Firefox Account integration. The fact that these are lazily-loaded features is key here, and means that they will contribute such a negligible amount to memory usage when not in use that any increase would likely fall within noise measurements on a system. 

The reason they included pocket was because development on their reading list feature was falling behind, so they decided to integrate a 3rd party service that already works well for now. The plan is to eventually replace it with the reading list feature when its fully ready. IMO this is a good decision, because when they enabled the reading list feature in the beta channel a while back it felt pretty half-baked to me.

• Like 4

Changed away from FF a while back when they messed up the interface. It's definitely not in its prime any more.

I stopped using it when I started using Linux as my primary operating system.  Firefox has native, 64 bit releases for Linux, but so does Chrome, and the Linux versions of Firefox run like absolute garbage compared to Chrome.  Chrome's UI responds faster, the program itself loads faster, and pages render faster.  I've tried Firefox on Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora when I was still trying to find a Linux OS to settle on, and Firefox was always painfully sluggish feeling.  There were occasions when I would use things like Konqueror, Opera, and Midori, and even all of those felt snappier than Firefox.

All that being said, as far as rendering pages goes, I've actually had a handful of occasions where Firefox was the only browser that would render a page properly.  Google Chrome also disabled NPAPI plugins, so on the rare occasion that I need to use a Java applet, like when I need to scan checks into my online banking account, I have to use Firefox.  For those reasons, Firefox still has its place, if only as a legacy browser for very sparse/occasional use, but generally speaking, Google Chrome is faster and gives a better overall user experience for me on my Linux computers.

I have a lot of issues with Firefox but I still prefer it over the rest. I am using Chrome mostly at the moment due to a nasty Intel driver bug in Firefox 37-40 but it is fixed in 41 so I will be switching back once that hits stable. I find Firefox to be just as fast as Chrome, if not faster. 

I have noticed some severe performance degradation in the past few releases even with plugins disabled. :/ Chorme is much faster but i would rather stick with Firefox, hopefully they can improves things in the next couple of releases or I'm going to have to relegate it to web development testing only. :/ 

I have noticed some severe performance degradation in the past few releases even with plugins disabled. :/ Chorme is much faster but i would rather stick with Firefox, hopefully they can improves things in the next couple of releases or I'm going to have to relegate it to web development testing only. :/

you are not alone. 99% of firefox users already switched to chrome.

Firefox is on a downward decline, not ready to call it dead / doomed, but only at 10%~12% market share....

Not according to Statcounter, where it has around the same as IE (19-20%). Other statistics agree with that. Net Applications notoriously favours Windows and IE over everything else due to their opaque geo-weighting algorithms. If you believe them, then IE still has 50% marketshare (lol).

As for FF being doomed, I'd say it's more that they waste resources developing side projects (Windows 10 touch) than concentrating on the main application. Why spend precious development time catering to a tiny percentage of users that will most likely ignore it anyway.

chrome is not getting faster, it is getting slower and more bloated!  Right now I am using (and loving) Microsoft Edge in the latest Windows 10 TP, but Firefox is my go-to secondary browser.  The only reason chrome has more market share than firefox is because google pays the likes of oracle to bundle chrome with java updates.  Same reason why every grandma in America has the Ask toolbar and McAfee Security Scanner.

• Like 3

I just set up Firefox because Google now accepts bribes to block sites interested (and wealthy) parties don't want you to see. I know that's a loaded accusation, but they started blocking torrent sites this morning. Maybe the MAFIAA didn't throw a ton of money at Google, maybe they did, but Google just put them ahead of the users. Now, sure, maybe we don't like piracy around these parts, but it's not for Google to say what we can look at with their browser. But that's exactly what Google is going to start doing.

If the warning said, "This site offers illegal downloads, you open yourself up to civil and criminal liability by downloading from this site," that would be one thing, but to lie and say they're serving malware is just wrong.

Mozilla has always been in support of the open Internet. Their browser has greatly declined in the last year, however. My main browser is Opera right now. I'm not going to tell you it's better than your browser, but I enjoy using it. I have Chrome and Firefox as well, plus Edge and Internet Explorer. It's good to have choices!

Firefox just has hard competition from Google and Microsoft.

Firefox needs to make more deals with businesses to be advertised and bundled with software installers.

It may also help getting into the Windows Store for Winten.

1. Slow Loading

2. Sluggish Performance

3. Broken graphics

and Now 

... and you figured this out now??

LOL. I switched to IE 9 back in 2011 when Firefox 4.0 came out. It was terrible and even on an 8 gig machine brought it to its knees. Although it has much improved in 4 years I am gravitating more and more towards Chrome even if that too is a bloated shadow of itself.

I just set up Firefox because Google now accepts bribes to block sites interested (and wealthy) parties don't want you to see. I know that's a loaded accusation, but they started blocking torrent sites this morning. Maybe the MAFIAA didn't throw a ton of money at Google, maybe they did, but Google just put them ahead of the users. Now, sure, maybe we don't like piracy around these parts, but it's not for Google to say what we can look at with their browser. But that's exactly what Google is going to start doing.

If the warning said, "This site offers illegal downloads, you open yourself up to civil and criminal liability by downloading from this site," that would be one thing, but to lie and say they're serving malware is just wrong.

Mozilla has always been in support of the open Internet. Their browser has greatly declined in the last year, however. My main browser is Opera right now. I'm not going to tell you it's better than your browser, but I enjoy using it. I have Chrome and Firefox as well, plus Edge and Internet Explorer. It's good to have choices!

Bull, just went to some of the most popular torrent sites and nothing was blocked, blame you AV not chrome 

Mozilla like all companies support what will make them money, to think otherwise is naive 

Tried FF a few months ago, saw nothing that would make me want to switch from Chrome, and contrary tp popular belief it was slower to load and load pages, and it's not my PC that's for sure 

Bull, just went to some of the most popular torrent sites and nothing was blocked, blame you AV not chrome 

Mozilla like all companies support what will make them money, to think otherwise is naive 

Tried FF a few months ago, saw nothing that would make me want to switch from Chrome, and contrary tp popular belief it was slower to load and load pages, and it's not my PC that's for sure 

https://torrentfreak.com/chrome-blocks-major-torrent-sites-over-harmful-programs-150710/

harm.png

definitely not an AV issue. maybe Google has backtracked on it, I don't see the message on kat.cr right now.

• Like 1

Pretty sure that any Firefox performance related issues are related to just Windows and if you have the Adobe Flash NAPI plug-in loaded. It's crazy how much that seems to slow any Firefox session down on a Windows platform.

Likewise, the same build on OS X or a Ubuntu variant with Flash NAPI plug-in is like night and day compared to Windows. It seems hardware acceleration is either broken or crippled on the Windows platform by comparison - at least for Windows 7 SP1 x64/x86, Windows 8.1 x64, Windows 10 x64 Insider Preview (build 10166).

I use Firefox but it's interface is clunky and non responsive. If you load any website which is adobe flash based, the whole browser comes to a crawl where clicking on buttons gives no response from the UI.

Switched from FF to Chrome last year. FF is as many are saying..

Slow loading - Seriously on an i7 with 16Gb of ram and an SSD. It takes longer to load up than Photoshop or Illustrator. Often with a delay of 3-5secs.

Chrome is instant!

Overall I just dont like the direction FF is now taking and thats from someone who`s been using it since oh.. early 2000.

chrome is not getting faster, it is getting slower and more bloated!  Right now I am using (and loving) Microsoft Edge in the latest Windows 10 TP, but Firefox is my go-to secondary browser.  The only reason chrome has more market share than firefox is because google pays the likes of oracle to bundle chrome with java updates.  Same reason why every grandma in America has the Ask toolbar and McAfee Security Scanner.

Absolutely!