Until Dawn new previews and gameplay

Great to hear this! Always trusted your opinions Larry. Too hooked on MGS5 for now though lol.

Yeah I made sure to beat it before tomorrow since I too will be hooked on MGS5.
I even went back and replayed the final chapter and went from having about the worst possible ending one could have to having a damn near perfect ending.

Totally did not expect to like the game as much as I did. It is as good as it gets for this genre of game. Definitely suggest checking it out at some point in time.

• Like 1

Yeah I made sure to beat it before tomorrow since I too will be hooked on MGS5.I even went back and replayed the final chapter and went from having about the worst possible ending one could have to having a damn near perfect ending.
Totally did not expect to like the game as much as I did. It is as good as it gets for this genre of game. Definitely suggest checking it out at some point in time.

I think you're going to love MGS5. From a gameplay perspective it absolutely destroys every other Metal Gear game.

Okay, just finished the game.
I was on Chapter 3 and was not sure if I was feeling it.
Damn, I was dead wrong.

No hyperbole here, as far as this type of game, it is pretty much the best I ever played. For the "choose your own adventure" genre of video game, it does not get much better.

So yeah, I do think I got about the worse possible ending one could get. LOL

Hidden Content

Pretty much probably at the very least have to replay that final chapter.

For this genre though, the game was damn near perfect. I am just left really, really impressed with the execution. I also loved the story, something I can pretty much say I almost never like in video games. 

Great experience. It really and truly is.

Honest question, how does your experience compare with my review of it?

Not trolling for clicks, just seeing if I'm any good with this or not.

Honest question, how does your experience compare with my review of it?

Not trolling for clicks, just seeing if I'm any good with this or not.

Since you asked...

My experience pretty much lines up perfectly as your review is not really what I would call an opinion based review more than it is a here is what kind of game it is review. So from that regard it lines up very much as most of what you are doing is stating facts...
This is how the game plays.
This is the influences on the game.
This is the game mechanic. Etc. Etc.
These types of reviews are needed and necessary, so from that perspective you did a good job. Anyone that wants to know what they should expect mechanically if they pick up the game will no doubt know after reading your review.
However since there are so, so many people out there also writing reviews these days, taking this approach is not what is going to separate you from the pack. There is not a whole lot of your opinion on the aspects of the game that you point out, just that they exist. You have a few places where you make it a little bit more, for example when you say (pro tip: be kind to animals). That little touch put some personality to it, and if you are looking to stand out from others, you need a lot more of that in your reviews.

Basically state the game mechanic or the existence of a feature, then just as, if not more important, discuss how it made you feel.

A good example where you really could have put a personal touch to things I can give is you said this about the sound... "The sound design is fantastic, especially in my headphones, " but that was it. Why was it fantastic? Especially in your headphones? Was it because your headphones isolated you from the outside world to begin with and the creepy ambient sounds of the game really created a tense environment where you were super tense on on the edge of your seat? Get your thoughts and opinions in there, as that is what is going to make it a soniqstylz review, and not just another review.

Also you got some of your experience in there by saying you got 70% of the collectibles on the first playthrough. That is good too. It brings the personal touch to it. It lets the reader know you had an experience as well.

I will end by saying just look at the "popular" reviewers right now within the gaming world. While they (usually) also know their facts, it is not the facts that have made them who they are. It is their personality and their opinions. Even if their opinion is not popular, it is their opinion and it makes their reviews sought out. People like to read or watch their reviews not because they will learn what type of game it is, as truth be told there are so many preview articles and advertising these days that people know what they are going to get with a game months and months before it comes out. So people want more. They want to know how the game made another person feel, as they are curious if it will also make them feel the same.

I hope you do not take any offense to what I have shared, as it was not meant to be offensive at all. Quite the contrary, it was meant to be helpful. I think it might help to know what I went to college for Art, and my entire college experience consisted of being given a project for a week then in class we had our critique of whatever we had done by our professors and fellow classmates. So I view this type of feedback as normal and beneficial to the creative process. A necessity. And honestly I do not even think what I said was bad at all, just that you need more of you in it to make it stand out.

Hope that helps. And honestly I would not have even bothered typing all of this if I did not think a good basis was already there. You have the facts part down. Time to add more opinion and more feeling, as that is what is going to make it stand out from the rest.

The game is great I thought, and shows an exciting new direction for cinematic storytelling though games. 
Pros: 
* Very atmospheric
* Genuine scares 
* Great sound design (play with sound slightly up, or even better, with headphones)
* Excellent facial capture technology and animation
* Excellent lighting. 
* Good story with solid twists
* Great acting by a solid cast (specially from Brett Dalton, Hayden Peneittere (or however you spell her surname), and the Asian girl.

Cons: 
* 8 hour play time
* 5 hours on replay if you know where to go and not exploring
* Cant skip cinematics of what you already seen (like new chapters with the psychologist)
* No nudity which is usually a teen horror movie staple. 
* Very easy to platinum :(

1010488_1025229207507308_153080043365246

From the reviews I have watched I get the impression that if you are a slasher & jump-scare fan then this might be the title for you. It seems to be the closest thing to playing a slasher film. Pretty cool.

I hope you do not take any offense to what I have shared, as it was not meant to be offensive at all. Quite the contrary, it was meant to be helpful. I think it might help to know what I went to college for Art, and my entire college experience consisted of being given a project for a week then in class we had our critique of whatever we had done by our professors and fellow classmates. So I view this type of feedback as normal and beneficial to the creative process. A necessity. And honestly I do not even think what I said was bad at all, just that you need more of you in it to make it stand out.

No offense at all, sir, glad to have your input.  Still learning as I go.

Started playing this last night. Fixed camera angles in horror games <3. 

Feels as close to a modern day classic Resident Evil as we'll get! (controls/camera).

Started playing this last night. Fixed camera angles in horror games <3. 

Feels as close to a modern day classic Resident Evil as we'll get! (controls/camera).

From the reviews I have watched I get the impression that if you are a slasher & jump-scare fan then this might be the title for you. It seems to be the closest thing to playing a slasher film. Pretty cool.

Thank goodness it's not like playing a Resident Evil movie.

The jump scares in this game are actually pretty damn effective :laugh: Playing in chunks at night with my Sony Pulse headset and it is making me jump.

Think I hit chapter 7 last night before bed. Really damn solid game so far. Happy to see a studio who has done ports and mobile games prior hitting their first effort out of the park. UK based too! <3 As much as I have no interest in ever watching his stuff I hope Pewdiepie or whatever he is called gets people buying this from his lets play videos. It really does make a solid lets play game for the horror aspect. I happily chucked up RRP for the game to help support the studio. Hope they can make another AAA game and do not go the way of The Order 1886 devs (although at least critically so far it can be said Until Dawn is much better). What a turn around to save this project from the Move based reality it may have had a number of years ago.

Just finished, what a ride! It doesn't half ramp up. It even manages to get you caring about the teen horror esque characters. 

Truly happy I supported supermassive. I really hope they get to make something else with this engine. I'd be happy with horror, they can totally do it. Maybe a bit more of a risk with gameplay next time around and do something like Silent Hill of the old era. 

Fantastic first AAA outing for them.

Just finished, what a ride! It doesn't half ramp up. It even manages to get you caring about the teen horror esque characters. 

Truly happy I supported supermassive. I really hope they get to make something else with this engine. I'd be happy with horror, they can totally do it. Maybe a bit more of a risk with gameplay next time around and do something like Silent Hill of the old era. 

Fantastic first AAA outing for them.

Graphically, it's Geurilla's Killzone engine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...