Windows 10 - disable the low disk space warning?

The NoLowDiskSpaceChecks method that works for windows vista, windows 7, and windows 8 does not work with windows 10.

How can I get rid of this? It is super annoying.

The NoLowDiskSpaceChecks method that works for windows vista, windows 7, and windows 8 does not work with windows 10.

By clearing enough space on your main drive?

In all seriousness though, the warning message is there for a very good reason as Windows needs a certain amount of fall back space for page file etc.

By clearing enough space on your main drive?

In all seriousness though, the warning message is there for a very good reason as Windows needs a certain amount of fall back space for page file etc.

What are you talking about? I have a media drive with a bunch of movies. There is no good reason to notify me of its free space or try to clean it up multiple times per hour, especially if there's nothing to clean up.

Login as "Administrator" LowDiskMinimumMBytes DWORD 0 -->  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather

Then

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gathering Manager

take ownership of "Gathering Manager" and assign the ACL rights for the local administrator account (NOT a user account).  Modify "BackOffLowDiskThresholdMB" set to 0x00 (0) 

(Recommended)

Restore ownership and ACL to the way they were. Not required,. 

Ensure that your NoLowDiskSpaceChecks value is DWORD and not string or another type: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoLowDiskSpaceChecks = DWORD 0x01

What are you talking about? I have a media drive with a bunch of movies. There is no good reason to notify me of its free space or try to clean it up multiple times per hour, especially if there's nothing to clean up.

Well every disk has a certain amount of space required to function correctly, in this case Windows is trying to tell you that it needs more space. Running a drive to the bone is a good way to get terrible performance out of it.

<Thread cleaned>

Keep it civil, guys. That goes for both sides of this discussion. If you're going to have a go at people trying to advise you on the situation, others will be less inclined to help.

Login as "Administrator" LowDiskMinimumMBytes DWORD 0 -->  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather

Then

take ownership of "Gathering Manager" and assign the ACL rights for the local administrator account (NOT a user account).  Modify "BackOffLowDiskThresholdMB" set to 0x00 (0) 

(Recommended)

Ensure that your NoLowDiskSpaceChecks value is DWORD and not string or another type: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoLowDiskSpaceChecks = DWORD 0x01

Thanks. That seems to have done it, no notifications so far.

Had some trouble with permissions - my error was setting owner to Administrators rather than the username of current user. It should be current user.

I'd also like to add that to set ownership back to trusted installer this can be used:

NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

• 1 month later...

Then

(Recommended)

I completed the first two registry changes, but I don't have anything in my \Policies\ folder for step 3.  

It seems like it is doing it less frequently, but I am still getting notices.  I tried to re-partition my drive to add more space, and could not.  I could free up space on the physical drive, but could not add it to my d: partition (which is a recovery partition).

Purchase a larger hard disk drive.  Or delete some files you may no longer need.

Purchase a larger hard disk drive.  Or delete some files you may no longer need.

I don't get you people. You don't understand the situation, you have nothing to add, just a +1 of utterly useless and passive-aggressive advice. It is people like yourself who make finding help online a chore for everyone else. You add tons and tons of useless page1 advice, why? Do you think you're helping anyone by telling them to delete files when they're asking how to disable a specific function?

In the instance above - I was using a hard-disk to temporarily store some data that I was migrating between computers. So for about 1 week it was full and for about 1 week it was giving me popups. I didn't need more storage, I didn't need more room, I just needed some time and no popups. You're suggesting I spend $100+ on a hard drive, take my computer apart, and install that disk, and then spend time migrading data from one to another. Is this what I asked for? Is this a solution to disabling a windows popup? No. It is absolutely and utterly useless advice. What is the point of even writing it?

• Like 2

I don't get you people. You don't understand the situation, you have nothing to add, just a +1 of utterly useless and passive-aggressive advice. It is people like yourself who make finding help online a chore for everyone else. You add tons and tons of useless page1 advice, why? Do you think you're helping anyone by telling them to delete files when they're asking how to disable a specific function?

In the instance above - I was using a hard-disk to temporarily store some data that I was migrating between computers. So for about 1 week it was full and for about 1 week it was giving me popups. I didn't need more storage, I didn't need more room, I just needed some time and no popups. You're suggesting I spend $100+ on a hard drive, take my computer apart, and install that disk, and then spend time migrading data from one to another. Is this what I asked for? Is this a solution to disabling a windows popup? No. It is absolutely and utterly useless advice. What is the point of even writing it?

Grandmaster, I'm sorry for the terse comment - it was meant to be halfway humorous, and I certainly meant no offense.  The thing is, if we had known those details you just shared from the get go, you would have probably gotten much better advice and direction.  The other thing is, and I realize this is just my opinion, if I had a similar problem with a notification in Windows, I would be searching for a solution by doing a search on Google or Bing, not posting it on a forum.  That's me. 

Oscar.thumb.jpg.acdd191d6247e1a63dc08356

I was gonna suggest getting some USB flash sticks, since they are so inexpensive, but then I thought better of it. :/

Oscar.thumb.jpg.acdd191d6247e1a63dc08356

I was gonna suggest getting some USB flash sticks, since they are so inexpensive, but then I thought better of it. :/

USB sticks do not turn off a notification. USB sticks do not solve the issue at hand. That's like telling people to reformat and reinstall windows, it has nothing to do with the issue at hand and is beginner-level advice that's well intended by ultimately malicious.

Grandmaster, I'm sorry for the terse comment - it was meant to be halfway humorous, and I certainly meant no offense.  The thing is, if we had known those details you just shared from the get go, you would have probably gotten much better advice and direction.  The other thing is, and I realize this is just my opinion, if I had a similar problem with a notification in Windows, I would be searching for a solution by doing a search on Google or Bing, not posting it on a forum.  That's me. 

The search was done prior to posting, the solution found did not work because I was making a small mistake. I pointed to what the mistake was and offered advice in a later comment so that any others who happen upon this thread via search could have useful information. So the ultimate thing is if somebody needed some help I would look through the thread and help them, if I could, and if I couldn't I wouldn't waste the time. Similarly telling a life story to coerce a specific answer to a specific question is unnecessary, the answer was already provided by another so I am uncertain what you're trying to achieve by leaving your "advice" here and implying that I should use websearch.

• 2 months later...

1, Open CMD, running “ regedit ” to open Registry Edior,

2, in the menu, open them one by one: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE---- Software--- Microsoft--- Windows ---CurrentVersion---Policies, if there is no Explorer, you need add the new file and named it; if there is, you do need to add one.

3, In the Explorer menu, add the DWORD, named NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, and changed the number to 1.

4, reboot the computer.

• Eric locked this topic