Getting onedrive on OS X to function as well as it does on Windows 8

A bit of a background story before I ask the question.  I own a house that backs up to a lake and as such I carry flood insurance.  I received a couple of weeks ago my updated insurance policy and it indicated that I can download a digital copy of the policy and store it offsite since during an emergency it is quite easy to lose access to paper.

Now, I currently back up to a local time machine image on my nas and to crashplan twice a week.  However, as part of my O365 subscription I get 1TB of onedrive storage.  But, other than dumping a few files here and there, I don't really use it.  How can I actually take advantage of it?

Is it easy to change the location of 'documents', 'music', or 'pictures' to point to a folder within onedrive instead of locally?

You can use Symbolic Links, but I haven't tried them on OneDrive. They work pretty well with Dropbox.

The way they work is that you put your folders inside Location A, and create a link in Location B. The link will look like an alias (shortcut) but behaves like an actual folder.

I mainly use this to put my Downloads, Music, Movies, Pictures on an external drive while still keeping links of them in the home folder.

The command you wanna use in Terminal is:

ln -s /path/to/original /path/to/symlink

I would put the original in OneDrive and the link in the home folder. Try it out first with a test folder and see if it works for you.