Android Apps loading slow on WiFi? New Router problem?

Okay, so we just had the Time Warner Cable guy come in a few weeks ago and he swapped out our old Motorola Surfboard router (I think it was a DOCSIS 2, if it even matters) out. We got a new router called the Technicolor (DOCSIS 3). Then we got the Arris router and got another of the same Arris router because I thought the first Arris router was a defected one. Okay. Before, when we had the old Motorola Surfboard modem/router (all in one), everything worked perfectly. The apps on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 worked perfectly. After we upgraded speeds to 200mbps download and 20mbps upload and got new routers, the apps like YouTube, Gmail, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc... have been loading very very slow on my Android. I did a speed test with my phone and it is around 150mbps download and around 20mbps upload. It is usually the images/pictures that don't load or take forever to load. The thing is that my browser works perfectly fine from my phone.

I've tried it on my work internet which has around 3mbps download and not even 1mbps upload and it loads almost instantly. I also tried it on public wifi hotspots as well as my 4G LTE (Verizon) and it works perfectly. I even tried resetting my phone a few times by doing a factory reset. So I know it's not my phone. It is my router. I don't know if it is one of the settings I have to change but I really need help. I've tried changing the channels and it seemed like to help to load 1-3 images on Instagram out of 50.

I also bought a Netgear N300 router to test if it was still happening and here was what I got. I got around 70mpbs download speed and I forgot the upload speed althought it wasn't bad at all and none of the apps loaded as well either. I'm not sure what the problem is but I'm pretty sure it has to maybe do with the newer router settings? Can anyone help? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Wow...I am experiencing the exact. same. thing.  I thought it was going to be a problem with my phone, then I saw the common denominator:  TWC.  I, too, recently had them change my modem for one providing faster speeds when all this trouble started.  Images, videos, and apps like Netflix take FOREVER to load, if they even load at all.  Not just loading videos, but getting past the spinning circle when you first start Netflix.  I'm going to go muck around in the modem settings, see if I can find anything, and will report back.

"I'm going to go muck around in the modem settings"

Yeah that sounds like a great plan -- go start clicking on stuff you don't understand...

With what information do we have to help you with?  So what wifi are you using? G, N, AC? If N are you 2.4 or 5ghz?  Are you using 20mhz or 40mhz or 80 if AC?  What security are you using?  What specific "modem" do you have so we can look up its features.  What specific phone do you have so again we can look up its features.

So your saying other wifi devices work fine and just your phone has a problem?  How exactly did you test speed on your phone that you got 150mbps down?  So I take it your on say a Galaxy S6 or a something with multi stream AC.  Did you try testing with N vs AC on 2.4Ghz?  Did you try using 20mhz on 2.4 and on 5, etc.

Really need some info to work with or not much can do other than go muck with some buttons - if they are shiny click on them, maybe it will fix it ;)

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, ggareis said:

I too am having this same exact issue. Has anyone found a fix? This is really bad with netflix app specifically. 

Don't use Arris garbage would imo be the best fix.