Trouble installing XP :( PLEASE HELP

Hi

I have win98SE.

ONe of my friends has winXP all working and burned a copy to CD for someone. I borrowed the CD and copied ALL the files to my hard disk.

I then burned to CD using Easy CD Creator 3.5

I then formated c drive and tried to install. Could not run setup.exe in DOS so reinstalled 98 and ran setup from within windows.

Choose the Advanced options - (NOT the upgrade one) and all seemed to go fine but along the way it said it could not copy several files:

It said setup cannot copy file:

kernel32.dll

msvcp60.dll

gm.dls

jscript.dll

and so on ( about 20 in total).

It then said XP not installed and line 2782 if hivesft.int is corrupted. setup cannot continue.

Tried it again with a different CD (I made a couple copies) and this time it siad could not copy wow32.dll,

ws2help.dll,

and so on (i.e. different files) . I stoped setup after about 7 cannot copies!!

Any thoughts, tips,...

My next thing to try is using Nero.

Can someone tell me how i would use it - i read somewhere that you need to tick something like write as once ?!?!

Please help

Thanks

You CAN'T run setup.exe from DOS.... you need to go into the i386 folder and type "winnt". That's how you do a DOS install.

As for copying disks I would get a nice program like CloneCD, tell it to copy the CD and then once done CloneCD can burn it to disk for you... I REALLY recommend using that for creating IDENTICAL copies.

-mortensenj

Thanks for that info

so if i format c using win98 Startup disk and then i can run winnt fine in DOS??

Also can cloneCD be used if the files i have are all on hard disk now and NOT a ISO or image i.e. it is extracted with the files and folders such as setup, i386,support,........

Thanks

Originally posted by dacris2000

In CD Creator for burning method use Disc at once. (not Track at once). This will ensure your CD works correctly.

What is the difference between Track at Once and Disk at Once? I just got a Sony CRX160E 32x12x8x and It defaults on Track at Once..

Can u let me know why its better?

Thanx in advance

CloneCD can ONLY be used to "clone" a CD. It can't make a copy if it doesn't have the original CD.

As for winnt.exe it WILL run fine in DOS. And if you install from Windows it uses the file winnt32.exe in the same folder... one for DOS the other for Windows installs.

DAO [disk at once] is better. I don't know why but it is and is used in programs like CloneCD to make good copies.

-mortensenj

Yes, if you use Easy CD Creator and DAO it should be fine.

you can use either Nero or CloneCD, but only bother with CloneCD if you have the original CD to clone.

Take a chance and do it :o