HDMI Port Protection

Any tips on how to protect the apparently very sensitive HDMI chips on many home devices?  Since I unified this has become almost an annual ritual.

Another stormy season has wrought havoc on all components with an HDMI connection.  Infrastructure is grounded and behind UPS/isoblocks on power and data. 

Ferrite cables?  Better 'unplug' mechanism?  Additional outside grounding?  Active hub?

• 2 months later...
I think the only way to completely remove any damaging noise coming from the mains supply would be to use an active ups, which can be quite costly. As for EMI, continuity throughout all devices with multiple common earths is all I can think of at the moment (with an active ups/isolated supply, any potential difference at this point should not exist with bad conditions), The ferrites are a good idea, but I don't know too much about the way they work, just the basics.

I am no expert - just thought i'd throw in my thoughts.

TonyJr

Ferrites are not going to do anything.  Digital ignores noise.  You issue is the connection and disconnection of voltage on the cable it sounds like.

Are the UPS voltage regulated?

I need to read up on this connection/disconnection of voltage - is it part of how HDMI works, and do you have any links that could be useful to read up about it? I am new to this section of the forums, wanting to learn more.

MORE INPUT

TonyJr

Didn't realize there was some HDMI port damage issue going on all of a sudden?

Look on craigslist and ebay.  Always receivers with dead HDMI ports.  Some TV's also seem to show up.

There is a diagram of the HDMI pinout.

k1PeR.gif