Question: I want to use cortana for a voice command idea

I am thrilled with Windows 10, I'm on the Home version, I like it, it does what I need. What I'm looking for is some of the brightest talent around here on neowin.

Project name: Cortana blitzkrieg (no big deal, just an idea I have)

to put it simply, it seems that Cortana has a lot more functionality than most would believe or understand. my question is, how can one, if possible, code Cortana to shutdown my laptop with my voice command? Simply put, I'd like to simply say, "Cortana, shutdown laptop/PC". is there a way to work with Cortana to do this, or does something like it already exist?

thanks in the meantime.

Chrisj1968

• 2 weeks later...

I am not aware of this capability being part of Cortana, but I must admit that I am unfamiliar as I have limited experience with her. However, the ability to shutdown one's computer via speech predates Cortana. This is one of the benefits of Windows Speech Recognition (WSR) introduced in Windows Vista. You will, however, need to download the speech recognition macros utility to enable this functionality. It is recommended that one reads the release notes for speech recognition macros and trains the recognizer before proceeding with installation of the macros utility. It is best that the recognizer gets accustomed to aspects of one's voice such as an accent or speech patterns.

Once downloaded and installed, open the macros utility by searching for it from the Start menu or by navigating to C:\Program Files\WSRMacros\WSRMacros.exe. After the macros utility is open, create a new macro by double-clicking on the utility's icon present in the notification area—note that this icon is visually similar to a speech bubble and includes two gearwheels near the center. In the screenshot of the taskbar posted below, it is the fourth icon away from the clock.
Icon.thumb.png.a6e205aba42cd0f7c2ae68331 WSRM_Icon.thumb.png.4ddaa30d334c2322c9df

After double-clicking the icon, an Aero Wizard interface should appear with options to create new macros.
post-483058-0-28269100-1437501374.thumb.

Select the "Run a Program" option that appears in the list.
Program.thumb.png.b9d64e321244fafdd02137

In the "Enter the phrase you would like to speak to trigger this command" field, write—or speak if WSR is active—the desired command to shutdown Windows. In this case we will use the "Shutdown my laptop" command that was originally posted, but it can really be any preferred word or phrase (though I would advise against using only a word for such a command).
Shutdown_my_laptop.thumb.png.f9be9df4462

Once entered, in the "Enter the path to the program that you want to run" field, insert C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe (where C: represents the current partition where Windows is installed; change the partition letter if necessary).
Shut_down_my_laptop.thumb.png.28b0a33327

In the "Enter the command line arguments (optional)" field, add: /s /t 00.
The /s parameter can also be substituted with the following parameters to perform the listed operations for other macros.

• /r  - restarts the computer
  • /l  - logs off the current user signed into Windows
  • /h - hibernates the computer if hibernation is enabled

Note, however, that the previous /t 00 parameter apparently cannot be used in conjunction with either the /l or /h parameters, and so should be removed if one intends to log off or hibernate. As with the shutdown command, macros for these commands can be initiated with a word or phrase that is preferred (e.g., "Log me off of Windows" to log off of Windows).
Shut_my_laptop_parameters.thumb.png.0476

Save the macro to disk. Although it is not necessary for them to function, it is recommended that macros are digitally signed—information about signing is included within the release notes, and options for signing can be accessed via the context menu of the speech recognition macros icon in the notification area. By default, only signed macros can be loaded.
According to the aforementioned release notes, macros must be stored within a Speech Macros folder within a user's Documents directory.
Parameters.thumb.png.1a92561b65c6e5ce371

If successful, the following message should appear.
Successful.thumb.png.1db3f40f963aa022e10

I must reiterate that WSR and the macros utility are not limited to what is mentioned above and can enable many other scenarios. For example, by using only one's voice, it is possible to open websites without first opening a web browser (e.g., "Open Neowin" to open https://www.neowin.net).