New Server: What should I upgrade?

Enable static low power mode in the bios which clocks the cpus down.

its a bit overkill for a home lab unless you want to do clustering or raid 6 storage with msa 60

Be careful that smartarray can only take 2tb drives and has no battery so only use raid 1 without cache

Enable static low power mode in the bios which clocks the cpus down.

its a bit overkill for a home lab unless you want to do clustering or raid 6 storage with msa 60

Be careful that smartarray can only take 2tb drives and has no battery so only use raid 1 without cache

I mostly use network drives for storage, the only thing that would be on the server would be the OS, and the apps I need. It'll serve as my web host for my testing of code, and web designing. As well as my C++ projects I work on. That's about it, nothing more than 1GB of files will ever be on it, and most of it will be disposable.

Soon as I can, I'll be upgrading to a TS140 that I linked earlier, and then this server will most likely sit there un-used, or act as a media center strictly for my family to use until I find a better way to do my network setup.

I was looking at one too, until I did a little research and realized they are very LOUD and they suck a ###### ton of power even on idle.

i usually agree but im writing this on a 2006 Lenovo Thinkpad X201, sure its the core i7 ulv but its running 8gb ddr1066 and a 60Gb ssd Win 10s given it a new lease of life, in fact faster than 7 ever ran on the same spec.

But servers aye 5years tops if you really must.

I was looking at one too, until I did a little research and realized they are very LOUD and they suck a ###### ton of power even on idle.

Yeah, that's what everyone was saying. I don't think my power bill will go up more than $10 / month, maybe $20 tops.

i usually agree but im writing this on a 2006 Lenovo Thinkpad X201, sure its the core i7 ulv but its running 8gb ddr1066 and a 60Gb ssd Win 10s given it a new lease of life, in fact faster than 7 ever ran on the same spec.

But servers aye 5years tops if you really must.

Yeah.

I think I'll pick up a HP MicroServer Gen8, and roll that for the home media center. For my ESXi Server, I think I'll grab one of those Lenovo servers, and pimp it out. I believe BudMan originally told me a Quad Nic, 1 - 2x 3TB drives, and a SSD would do wonders for a ESX server.

You would only need the Large disk for your esxi is if you plan to use a vm to serve out files.  If your just going to be running vms that provide services like http, etc. and are not serving/storing data then don't really need anything more than SSD in your esxi box.  If your going to want to run it as your router, then yes more nics very helpful.  A 4 porter plus say built in and your cooking with gas!!

You would only need the Large disk for your esxi is if you plan to use a vm to serve out files.  If your just going to be running vms that provide services like http, etc. and are not serving/storing data then don't really need anything more than SSD in your esxi box.  If your going to want to run it as your router, then yes more nics very helpful.  A 4 porter plus say built in and your cooking with gas!!

Well, I figured I'd toss at least 1x 3TB drive in there, just in case. I haven't figured out a good way to setup a plex media server for my family. I'll send BudMan, yet another pm. ;)

"My mom still has her Toshiba Satellite from 2001. It works."

Not very well that is for sure.. So you got some Pent III rocking in that beast ;)  How long does it take to turn on?  Battery for sure is not holding charge, can you even get a replacement?  What is the size of its HDD?  Speed.. quite sure the stick I care around in my pocket is larger and faster ;)

"My mom still has her Toshiba Satellite from 2001. It works."

Not very well that is for sure.. So you got some Pent III rocking in that beast ;)  How long does it take to turn on?  Battery for sure is not holding charge, can you even get a replacement?  What is the size of its HDD?  Speed.. quite sure the stick I care around in my pocket is larger and faster ;)

My cellphone is faster, even has more RAM than her Laptop can have. I'm getting her a new one for this Christmas. All she does is surf the web, youtube, watch educational videos, and netflix. That's it.

I think it has something bigger than a Pent 3, but I'm not sure. Hell, the WiFi adapter doesn't even work with WPA2. I had to down grade the guest network to work with it. I had to throttle the speeds from 100mbit up/down to about 56k speeds. It takes like 5 - 10 minutes to fully boot up, that includes loading all the crapware she has installed. I plan on buying her a $400 laptop or so. 15.6" screen, 4GB of RAM, SSD. Oh her hard drive, is a 60GB Drive. For awhile there she was storing EVERYTHING on my hard drives via the network. Until I realized she was saving all her audio recordings for school, and any video she watched that could be downloaded. She had 1.5TB of space used. =/

2001 would of been Pent III mobile at best..  All the rage back then for laptops.  The Portege 2000 that came out in 2002 only had B and a pent III 750mhz

2003 was when G started back in 2001/2 you had b and a as the wireless networks.  I think 2001 was like the first year that wifi was even starting to be built into laptops.  I doubt it was 60GB hard drive back then..  So maybe you have the year wrong? 20GB would of been in that time frame.

And those laptops would of been 2K $ or so..

Sounds like a chromebook would be all she would need, one in the $150 range prob all she would need.

2001 would of been Pent III mobile at best..  All the rage back then for laptops.  The Portege 2000 that came out in 2002 only had B and a pent III 750mhz

2003 was when G started back in 2001/2 you had b and a as the wireless networks.  I think 2001 was like the first year that wifi was even starting to be built into laptops.  I doubt it was 60GB hard drive back then..  So maybe you have the year wrong? 20GB would of been in that time frame.

And those laptops would of been 2K $ or so..

Sounds like a chromebook would be all she would need, one in the $150 range prob all she would need.

So then it was 2003. All I know is, it's over a decade, it's passed 4 OS upgrades. It needs to go, lmao!

Also, the server I bought, wasn't what was listed.

I was told it had 4GB RAM, it has 8GB. I was supposed to get 2x 146GB Drives, I got 4. These jerks installed a 2008 R2 Edition as a trial. -.-

and how LOUD is it? dude they take crap and sell it people that don't know any better...  Oh wow a "server" for 100$ rolleyes!!

and how LOUD is it? dude they take crap and sell it people that don't know any better...  Oh wow a "server" for 100$ rolleyes!!

Actually, it's just a little bit louder than my desktop itself. It's only more noticable because I have it on a table. It's only super loud when I first boot it up.

I've got 2012 DC on it now. I'll find a use for this server. I'll still get a tower for everything else, and the Gen8 MicroServer for my mom's house.

Now, if only the updates would download and install :(