Took the G4 plunge

The AT&T Optimus G Pro contract was up, and a new franchise AT&T store (not  company owned) opened nearby offering grand opening promos beyond what AT&T offered for an AT&T Next upgrade. The independent wireless store competition here is pretty cutthroat.

We also live in a Wi-Fi heaven with so many hotspots that the data plan use is always under 1 gig, me being the big mobile data user, so paying for a legacy shared 3 gig plan with no rollover was getting silly. Switched to a significantly cheaper 2 year 1 gig shared plan with rollover, and got credit for last months leftover data. 

Traded in the (properly wiped) Optimus G Pro and got $200 of in-store purchase credits, a 3G + 32G G4, a bundled LG G Pad F 1G + 16G tablet (new model) and then proceeded to get a keyboard folio for the G Pad F and some Boombot Rex ruggedized/speakerphone Bluetooth speakers (new version.) Still have credits left over. Stuck 128G SD's we had in both and they were good to go. Both run Lollipop and received OTA upgrades almost immediately.

The G Pad F is an 8" Snapdragon 400 quad so it's not the fanciest tablet out there, but it's responsive, has a clean display, a 4,200 mAh battery and has both a micro and a full size USB. That full size USB has already come in handy.

Had to pay the sales taxes on everything but that's it, and after the plan change etc. the bill went up a huge $3/mo. Big woof.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice. AT&T released new data plans:
300 MB for $45
2 GB for $55

You might want to give that 2GB plan a look, and compare it to your existing plan. The 1 GB plan is now gone. I'm toying with either downgrading to 2 GB, and save $10/month, or upgrading to 5 GB for $10/month. I'm also on Wi-Fi most of the time, so I'll probably downgrade 

How are you finding it?

The phone is £300 new over here in the UK so I might look at swapping my iPhone 6 for an Android as I'm a bit bored of the iPhone's limitations, although most of that is to do with the apps themselves admittedly.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a screamer. Quite powerful and the screen is gorgeous and bright.  I've yet to need a battery swap even though it's possible, and it charges fast with a 2 amp charger or a 10,000 mAh pocket charger pack. The ability of the camera to do RAW files is nice too. 

It also works smooth with the Horizon camera app, which automatically applies landscape framing to videos regardless of phone position. Not perfect and costs $1, but handy. 

Waiting now on a circle case with QI, which I hear is also quite fast with a 3 antenna charger stand. Also waiting on a http://www.znaps.net magnetic port kit which shares a lot with Apples Lightning port.